It's official: Abol trail to be relocated

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Not sure when this was announced, but I just noticed it on the Baxter website:

Baxter State Park Authority Approves Abol Trail Relocation said:
The Baxter State Park Authority approved a $100,000 trail relocation effort to relocate the Abol Trail off of the Abol Slide. The Abol Slide is currently closed due to recent soil, rock and debris movement creating unstable and hazardous conditions. The new trail will be slightly longer but with a reduced grade and improved footing. The new trail will provide safer travel for hikers, an easier ascent to the Tableland of Katahdin and great views. Crews will begin work in the near future. The new trail may be open as early as the fall of 2015.

There's a teeny-tiny map as well.

During an August 2012 stay at the Foster Field group site, I hiked with others the O-J-I south slide and Abol slide trails, both now gone. I can understand why, but both were interestingly different and challenging hikes that I'm happy not to have missed.

The ranger I talked to a few weeks ago said they might allow people to use the old route as a bushwhack of sorts. It would have signs strongly recommending that you don't though and advising of the dangers.

The new trail will have some switchbacks put into it and should add no more than 0.5 miles to the route.

The re-lo was flagged by MATC legend Lester Kenway a few seasons back. Should be open by the fall of 2015. The closed section of Abol will remain closed after the re-lo opens. It's been monitored, and is reportedly yet to stabilize.

Abol and other work in BSP

Relo work is ongoing. Maine Conservation Corps began work on it this month and will continue at least through August. There will need to be a lot of brushing, stumping and grubbing through dense forest. Construction of rock stairs is planned. MCC is looking for volunteers to assist their crews. I will be joining them in late July / early August. I worked two days with them last year and had a delightful time. The work is as easy or as hard as you want, the people are great and BSP and MCC will also have other general trail maintenance opportunities throughout the park during the summer. Consider giving back a day or two for all they days you've enjoyed on the trail.

I have a full list of state-wide volunteer activities if you are interested.

Last edited: