Low bucks winter goggles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have come to conclusion that winter googles tend to have a high cost to performance ratio, a lot of promises and significant markup for pretty much the same performance. I have had good luck in the past finding equipment for industrial applications that are produced in high volumes and sold at low cost that generally work as well as the much more expensive outdoor gear marketed equipment, as the Outdoor gear marketing system is generally steeply marked up before it hits the shelf . Usually the industrial gear has to work well as otherwise the employees will not use it.

The latest find are Wheelz double safety glasses with passive ventilation. They meet all the applicable safety regs and have full UV spectrum blocking so it all comes down tint. At $8 a pop, I can have a couple of sets stashed in various packs. I have ordered a set and will be trying them out as the weather gets more interesting.

http://gatewaysafety.com/products/goggles/wheelz/#lens-image

Amazon has them in various tints and at various prices.

Nice but you have googles in the title, (which only a mod can fix) ! :D Many of the models are less than $8.00 when I do an Amazon search, which one did you have in mind? The link you posted was sort of generic.

I expect a mod will be right along to fix, no spell check on titles:eek:

I am giving the blue tint versions a try. If I don't like them, possible the mirror tint

That's a nice buy and it illustrates that "full spectrum UV blocking" is free with cheap old polycarbonate (or pretty much any plastic) and not some magic blue or gold coating.

That's a nice buy and it illustrates that "full spectrum UV blocking" is free with cheap old polycarbonate (or pretty much any plastic) and not some magic blue or gold coating.

Nice find, and impressively stylish -- but don't take these out into the snowfields above tree line on a sunny day and expect not to be at risk of snow blindness. Ski/mountaineering goggles attenuate from 50% (not really enough on a bright day) to 90% of the incoming light, totally apart from UVA/UVB performance. These folks don't show the attenuation stats in their brochure, but from the pix I don't think there's a lot.

However, they look like a nice option for wind protection in low and moderate light situations, as well as for tree branch protection while bushwhacking in thick spruce, which typically is so dimly lit that full-on goggles and sunglasses are a vision hindrance.

These look nice, but for your next trick, find me some of these in an OTG (over-the-glasses) configuration. They don't look wide enough to accommodate a pair of specs. But maybe saving money on goggles could finance the Lasik....

Nice find, and impressively stylish -- but don't take these out into the snowfields above tree line on a sunny day and expect not to be at risk of snow blindness. Ski/mountaineering goggles attenuate from 50% (not really enough on a bright day) to 90% of the incoming light, totally apart from UVA/UVB performance. These folks don't show the attenuation stats in their brochure, but from the pix I don't think there's a lot.

However, they look like a nice option for wind protection in low and moderate light situations, as well as for tree branch protection while bushwhacking in thick spruce, which typically is so dimly lit that full-on goggles and sunglasses are a vision hindrance.

Agreed.. clear plastic doesnt help with very bright light--they have tinted versions which may or may not be good enough. Just wanted to point out that you dont have to pay alot for UV protection.

They were delivered this morning. Definitely not over the glasses configuration. As my former hiking friend noted on the first time he hiked a four K in the winter after having Lasik " So that's what the view looks like, I never could see a darn thing in the winter with my glasses". The ones delivered has a rubber flap that seals against the face, they mention a foam option but I didn't see any part numbers.

I think I have a light meter around the house I will need to do some rough tests for light attenuation.

I don't want to represent these as a replacement for purpose built glasses but I expect that at the price if they work more folks will carry them, plus if they get lost or trashed they are cheap to replace

They were delivered this morning. Definitely not over the glasses configuration. As my former hiking friend noted on the first time he hiked a four K in the winter after having Lasik " So that's what the view looks like, I never could see a darn thing in the winter with my glasses". The ones delivered has a rubber flap that seals against the face, they mention a foam option but I didn't see any part numbers.

I think I have a light meter around the house I will need to do some rough tests for light attenuation.

I don't want to represent these as a replacement for purpose built glasses but I expect that at the price if they work more folks will carry them, plus if they get lost or trashed they are cheap to replace

Looks like they will work well in extreme bushwhacks too.

Look good, I think I'll order a couple of pair. Had less then great experience the couple of times I've worn goggles due to fogging up. Have glacier glasses & wrap sunglasses for extreme brightness so looking more for wind and low light visibility. Never seem to be up on a clear windy day.

For what its worth I used a handheld light meter in front of a diffuse light source. The blue lens blocked about 60% of the incoming light as measured by the light meter.

Definitely not over the glasses configuration. As my former hiking friend noted on the first time he hiked a four K in the winter after having Lasik " So that's what the view looks like, I never could see a darn thing in the winter with my glasses".
Any thoughts on using prescription anti-fog swim goggles for snow and wind. I am near sighted and 98% of the time in the winter I am hiking with my glasses hanging around my neck by croakers. I have tried various anti-fog sprays/creams (when it is not snowing) but non really work well or long.

A follow up, I used my pair on a Mt Pierce Hike today. They initially fogged up when I put on the cold glasses but quickly cleared once there was a breeze and stayed clear for the 20 minutes I used them. Definitely not a full test but pretty positive.

Goggles/glasses: Just might be the easiest item to forget or leave behind as fall turns to winter. This time of year I leave em in my pack :)

I can't remember the brand name but I got this pair at Walmart a few years ago. They came in a normal box like ski goggles and the box said Performance Winter Sport Goggles made in Italy. The strap has a U on it but they aren't Uvex. They worked just as well as my Bolles and I feel they fit better for my face and are just as stylish. I don't have the box anymore and other than the U on the strap there is no writing to tell you what kind. They are the reddish lens.

Anyway I have used these under every condition possible skiing from bright blue bird Spring days with tons of glare to heavy (14 inches of snow over day) white out at Jay Peak. I've used them on a bright heavy glare glazed over March winter climb on Katahdin as wind protection on Colorado hikes above treeline this fall.
The ONLY time they ever fogged was on a XC ski outing in very heavy snow in about 36 degree temps that involved a lot of uphill and heavy sweating. And occasionally sitting on a chairlift when I bundle up with my hood and cover my nose. I will tuck my neck gaiter under the bottom to completely cover my face and they wont fog.
I only paid $21 for them about 4 years ago and they are my go to goggle to this day.