North & South Baldface via Baldface Circle Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsman

Reaction score
Date of Hike: October 20,2014

Traill Conditions: There was lots of leaf litter at lower elevations. The trail from Eagle Crag down to Circle Junction is fairly wet in many places, but there were no deep water or mud obstacles. However, it did make the leaves quite slippery in places. The ledges were mostly dry.

Special Equipment: None.

Comment: It was a beautiful day with excellent views in all directions. The views of the Wild River Wilderness, the Carters, the Presidentials and Pleasant Mountain, in particular, are exceptional. There was still some yellow foliage, although it was certainly past peak.

I went up South Baldface first and met several groups who turned back just above the shelter. All were concerned about water making the ledges too slippery. Arriving a little later in the day, I found the ledges mostly dry and ice free; I had no issues with slipping. However, considerable scrambling on all fours was required. Also, in my opinion, the ledges give a fairly strong sense of exposure making them seem more imposing than their steepness might otherwise merit. The first couples pitches seemed to be the steepest to me. While feeling more exposed higher up, I think the going was actually easier. I would certainly agree with avoiding this route if the ledges were wet or icy, but when dry I didn't find them overly difficult. The route is well marked with cairns and blazes.

I met another group who came down Bicknell Ridge and I would use that route next time. It sounds like the views on Bicknell Ridge are terrific, while there are none on the Circle Trail despite its running parallel to the Bicknell Ridge Trail. Also, the first pitch down from Eagle Crag was very rough and eroded.

Jay Baxter

[email protected]