Zealand Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until they close it. :)

It varies from year to year, depending on when the first significant snow arrives. It can be anytime from mid-November to winter solstice.

I think it has to do with the end of hunting season, which is Dec. 7th this year. It seems to close right after that.

Hunting season is certainly a factor. If possible they like to keep the roads open through deer season. But if there is significant snow in the forecast they will close the road early and keep it closed.

Do they close the roads after huntinmg season regardless or do they wait until there is too much snow or ice?

Its the mood of the FS, Generally they leave them open until there is a snow on the ground or if there is a forecast of significant snow.

So does this mean that if we get 3" of snow by Sun morning, that they will or might close the road?:confused:

So does this mean that if we get 3" of snow by Sun morning, that they will or might close the road?:confused:

If we get over or under 3" of snow before or after Sunday morning, they may or may not close the road. In the past, I've had good experience calling the FS if I was concerned about a particular road on a particular date.

Yup, they'd rather close the road and make people walk a bit further than end up with lots of cars stuck or off the road. The weather will dictate road closures although at this time of year the roads will likely reopen as things melt before closing for the season. If the snow happens in late November they'll probalby not open again.

What would happen to someone's car if they parked at the Zealanfd TH overnight?

What would happen to someone's car if they parked at the Zealanfd TH overnight?
You mean if the gate was locked while they were up there? It happens from time to time; they try to notify hikers before they lock the gate which isn't always possible. But otherwise you'd have to contact the FS to get them to let you out.

That's what I assumed. I just haven't heard of it happening so I had always wondered. Best to keep that in mind when checking the weather for an overnight this time of year.

We've been begated a few times.

Once in the parking lot for Lost River while hiking Kinsmen Ridge Trail and we got back after 5PM. The gate was closed but not locked. Another time was winter hiking off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Grandfather Mountain, NC. Weather forced closure of the road and when we got back to the trailhead there was a note on the car with instructions as to how to get out and a reminder to close the gate behind us.

Then there was the time we circumnavigated Crane's Beach by kayak; proper timing of the tide is necessary as well as timing of the gate. Fortunately, the main gate was still open and they let us out with a minor scolding that parking wasn't allowed at our launch anyway.

I can imagine that begatings sometimes result in benightings, but then, you haven't lived until you've had an unplanned benighting.

In years past the FS was not as diligent to close gates. One time we did a late winter hike up sawyer river road. It was not plowed and there was 2 feet of crusty snow. Some brilliant person appeared to have drove in with a 4wd truck on top of the crust in the early morning when the snow was hard. When we came out from an overnight it was apparent that the crust had softened up during the day. There were shovel hole all over the place and deep ruts on the road, plus some evidence of dark stains in the snow. I figure the owner came out after a long days hike and spent a couple of hours getting the truck unstuck.

When I did Carrigain in January of 2008 there was a Jeep Wrangler in snow up to its hubcaps about 3/4 mi up the road. Was there on the way in, was there on the way out. For all I know, it was there until March.