Favorite Ridgewalks with "Knife Edge Character"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb671987

Reaction score
One of my favorite types of "hiking topograhy/situation" is along an open ridge where the trail drops away dramatically on either side. I've often encountered these parts of a hike above treeline, although that doesn't necessarily have to be the case as long as it is open enough from the trees here and there to have abundant views and actually feel like one is hiking along a narrow ridge. I am very interested in "ridgebagging" as many knife edge ridgewalks as I can in New England, so any good or unique suggestions are very welcome!

Favorite "Knife Edge" Ridgewalks I have done (No particular order)

Knife Edge, Katahdin, Maine
Hamlin Ridge, Katahdin, Maine
Franconia Ridge (mainly Lincoln over Little Haystack), Lincoln, New Hampshire
Castle Ridge, Jefferson, New Hampshire
Airline Trail (mainly near Chemin des Dames junction), Adams, New Hampshire
Bondcliff, Bond, New Hampshire
Saddleback (sections between Saddleback & Horn), Saddleback, Maine
Bigelow (sections around Avery & West Peak), Bigelow, Maine
Mt. Clay (somewhat on sections of the loop, esp. w/ Great Gulf side), Clay, New Hampshire

Catskills: It's not open, but the traverse from Wittenburg to Cornell (aka the Bruin's Causeway), runs along a very narrow strip of ground. A few spots along the Devil's Path have this characteristic as well.

ADKs: Approaching Gothics there are some 'knifey' moments.

One on the border line is Osgood trail coming off Madison. It has the feel but the trail is wider than a knife

There is a section of the Traveler Loop in Baxter that is similar.

Nothing really narrow, but here are some exposed ridges:

On most of the above-treeline area of Mt Mansfield, VT you can teeter along the top of a cliff and have nothing higher on the other side either.

Baldface Range has a nice ridge, if not especially narrow.

Monadnock via Pumpelly Ridge.

Cardigan via Firescrew.

1. The 'knifiest' thing I've been on is the Kelso Ridge (see pic) up to Torrey's Peak, a CO 14er - there were moments when I treated it like a very sharp horse saddle.

IMGP2979 (Small).jpg

2. Visiting NW Hancock, a trail-less Trailwrights 72 peak, the ridge 'knife's" a bit as you near the peak from N. Hancock -- though it's all in the trees.

Last edited: