MSR model of the year - No more Evo or Pros

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's true. I simply can't stop talking about MSR snowshoes ;)

Not to bring this thread back to life but I had to pull the trigger on these Evos from EMS ($109). They are not the Evo Ascents, which I find far better. The last pair of Evo Ascents I was able to find online was on eBay (over $400).

http://www.ems.com/product/index.js...e=&network=g&gclid=CIKKxZe97sICFewF7AodAFMA-w

Be well,

Z :D

I know the Mountaineer in Keene Valley had the EVO Ascent. I wonder if in two years we will recall the REVO Ascent as fondly..depends on the Torsion2™ crampons. I see NO real reviews (outside of here) on these. Torsion2™ crampons Aluminum or the same Steel always used on Denali and EVO??

It is unfortunate indeed that we're losing the EVO's -- I agree that the REVO's look about as sturdy as the Lightnings -- i.e., somewhat sturdy, but nowhere near at the level of the EVO's. There's nothing else out there with that level of hardiness in a tough winter bushwhack -- not even the ALPS as was pointed out above. I too was fortunate to find a backup pair for a great price at the end of last season.

I won't be long-winded here in extolling the virtues of the EVO's -- Gotta vote and hit Owl's Head...

Alex

I posted down stream about the Revo ascent. I need to get a pair and I like some ascpects of teh REVo, (decking and steel on the side) but the Torsion2™ crampons have me freaked.

Interesting. I wonder if Tubbs measures the curve, not the straight line axis length.

I know the Mountaineer in Keene Valley had the EVO Ascent. I wonder if in two years we will recall the REVO Ascent as fondly..depends on the Torsion2™ crampons. I see NO real reviews (outside of here) on these. Torsion2™ crampons Aluminum or the same Steel always used on Denali and EVO??

Hi Myles LI,

Thanks for pointing out The Mountaineer, I had never heard of them. It appears they still have the Evo Ascents and are selling them for 209.95.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:
http://store.mountaineer.com/product_p/denevoasc.htm

I am so glad I bought these from EMS when I did. I believe they were on sale for $140, the next day the price went back up on the website.

I don't have any intel on these new Torsion crampons but the dual-claw design has me skeptical. It certainly looks like aluminum on some of the images I have seen of other models that have a similar crampon. The steel teeth of the Denalis and Evo Ascents are pretty rugged. I do wish they offered a slightly longer tooth/claw on these crampons for deeper penetration and purchase.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Yes, it's true. I simply can't stop talking about MSR snowshoes ;)

Not to bring this thread back to life but I had to pull the trigger on these Evos from EMS ($109). They are not the Evo Ascents, which I find far better. The last pair of Evo Ascents I was able to find online was on eBay (over $400).

http://www.ems.com/product/index.js...e=&network=g&gclid=CIKKxZe97sICFewF7AodAFMA-w

Be well,

I have had two hikes, on the shorter side, in the Evos (not Evo Ascents). There are only two straps on the bindings that go over your boot, rather than the Evo Ascents 3 straps. This does not include the heel strap.

I was already planning on replacing the bindings and crampon assemblies on my Denalis, but I think I will retrofit the Evos with the "old school" bindings of the Denalis'.

There isn't much wrong with the two strap binding system on the Evos, I just prefer to have the added security of three straps over the top of my foot. I did notice a little bit of pinching in the toe area with the two strap system as well. With the original Denali system I can go a little looser on the straps as well having three points of contact.

Just thought I would share my findings on these, FWIW.

Hi Myles LI,
I don't have any intel on these new Torsion crampons but the dual-claw design has me skeptical. It certainly looks like aluminum on some of the images I have seen of other models that have a similar crampon. The steel teeth of the Denalis and Evo Ascents are pretty rugged. I do wish they offered a slightly longer tooth/claw on these crampons for deeper penetration and purchase.

I bought a pair of Revos when my binding broke on my current pair and I needed a set before the next weekend. Two day shipping, couldn't find the same as what I already had at the time, no time for warranty work, and a backup sets of shoes is good (let's face it, they will always break in winter when you need them most).

I took a magnet to this part and all others on the shoes. None of the metal I found on the shoes is aluminum. So far I like them almost as much as my Evo Ascents. The one less "traction bar" going side to side does seem to make them "slip" down the hill just a bit more, but it isn't slipping much. It could also be the snow conditions some too.

I bought a pair of Revos when my binding broke on my current pair and I needed a set before the next weekend. Two day shipping, couldn't find the same as what I already had at the time, no time for warranty work, and a backup sets of shoes is good (let's face it, they will always break in winter when you need them most).

I took a magnet to this part and all others on the shoes. None of the metal I found on the shoes is aluminum. So far I like them almost as much as my Evo Ascents. The one less "traction bar" going side to side does seem to make them "slip" down the hill just a bit more, but it isn't slipping much. It could also be the snow conditions some too.

Glad they are working out!!!

So I have had a chance to use my new Revo Ascent's in limited tests..great results but next week I am going into the High Peaks and will have a more complete report

The Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY has EVO Ascents. A large distributor of MSR, they asked the company to make up a bunch for them. They told me that the MSR rep said they are bringing back the line next year but who knows.

New Revo Ascents...field tested

Just back from a few days in the High Peaks, finally properly testing my new Revo Ascents. I have to admit that I second-guessed myself when I saw the EVO Ascents for 208 at the Mountaineer (they had a lot!). I really liked the Revo's. No issue with the new crampon, in fact, I like it more that the straight bar across. I really felt the torsional twist forcing it in deeper than I experienced with Denali's

I did have an issue with a televator coming loose and I need to contact the company before I just fix it myself. The televator is awesome on a pitch like Phelps I used the tails when I was hiking in with the pack, but I didn't on the way back and there was no difference on the packed trails to Marcy Dam

I'm very happy with the Revo's. I got them with a 25% discount at Backcountry and with shipping and taxes waived it was cheaper than the Evo's would have been...BUT...the Evo's look awesome also

Update: Cascade Designs/MSR asked me to send the Revo's back and NOT to adjust the televator on my own. They admitted this is a problem on some of the shoes and they have a fix. Great customer service!

I wouldn't call,that great service and I'm surprised MSR was so shabby. Great service would have been to,overnight you a pair, or find a nearby retailer where you could swap,your defective pair for a new pair... Or better yet: they could have not sold you a product they knew to be defective in the first place.

I'm a Casacde And MSR fan, and am on my third pair of Lightning a Ascents in three years...

why so many in a relatively short time? They asked if I needed somethiung immediately but my schedule is such that I could do it snailmail and wait

update- I've used my Revos all winter and so far the only complaint is they make a creaking noise that I haven't been able to stop. I've been told I sound like the Tin Man in Wiz of Oz or the desert machines in Star Wars. Other than that, they're good!

Revo's

update- I've used my Revos all winter and so far the only complaint is they make a creaking noise that I haven't been able to stop. I've been told I sound like the Tin Man in Wiz of Oz or the desert machines in Star Wars. Other than that, they're good!

They are LOUD!

Getting to be that time of year again soon enough. Anyone have any durability reports from last year from the Tubbs Flex VRTs? The binding system looks very cool, but worried what happens if that little wire breaks. Looks like one would be out of luck if it did.

Most of the online and brick and mortar retailers aren't carrying much yet (and no sales yet). I see the some of the VRTs out there but in most cases no stock on the flex alps.

Also, any confirmation of the rumor MSR would bring back the Evo ascents?

I see they went back to the older style binding (black base with conical points) which I think is more secure and reduces forward boot slipping while descending. Also, the dark gray opaque straps seemed to be less-stretchy than the translucent ones.

Retailers like the Mountaineer wanted these for rentals because of their superior durability.