Tunnel Brook Road status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbagger

Reaction score
Anyone know if any work has been done to reopen Tunnel Brook Road so that one can reach the Benton and Tunnel Brook trailheads w/o the 1.4 and 2.4 mile road-walks? Forest Road page still lists the road as Closed.

Walked it back in August, still closed. Part of the brooks flow is now down what used to be the road. Pretty impressive damage, wouldn't be surprised if it never reopens. The road walk took a half hour to Benton trail.

Benton Trail is open and gets some traffic. I can't imagine it closing any tome soon. Up Glancliff, down Benton, and then back via Tunnel Brook is a wonderful way to experience Moosilauke, and there's always the chance of seeing the doctor ;-)

Both trails are in great shape. One piece of heavy equipment is on site, and stakes have been pounded for about a mile for a potential relocation.

We were there yesterday and saw for ourselves that M.E. Latulippe Construction of Ashland have been very busy lately. What amounts to a new road, just west of the damaged section, is practically done. If the gate hadn't been locked, we could have driven the 2.3 miles to the north Trailhead of the Tunnel Brook Trail, except for two little culverts that look like they could be filled in a couple of hours. There were 8 or 10 construction vehicles at various spots and I assume they are putting on the finishing touches.

The Benton Trailhead, which is 1.5 mile from the gate, has a new Trail sign.

That's good to hear. I figured if they had done all that work that they weren't just 'exploring' that possibility. I couldn't tell if those stakes were the middle of the new road or the side, but it was clear they were moving it a bit to the west. It's not a bad stretch, but I think doing that road walk twice was sufficient for me. Thanks for the update!

Perhaps the road work is in conjunction with logging operations? That is often the economic justifcation and financial resource.

Any more recent word on this subject or activity on Tunnel Brook Road??? If it is open, can anyone tell me if over night parking at the Benton trail head is allowed????
Thanks!

The road appears to be closed about 1.2 miles from the trailhead and has tree's across it to prevent motorized use. I'm quoting this info. from a trip report I recently came across, not firsthand knowledge. The hiker did summit via the Benton trail.

I did this a couple weeks ago:

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=25985

Road is totally destroyed with slash to prevent erosion (or so I've been told that's the reason). You can kind of find your way among the slash to the old Benton trailhead. There is a Tunnel Brook Trailhead sign (I went from north end of Tunnel Brook Trail) at the current parking lot but the sign for Benton Trail when you get to what was once the old trailhead parking area faces the other direction. It is a shame to see how much cost and effort went into destroying the old Tunnel Brook Road. I am told that from the south (the LONGer hike), the road will be used for logging the area surrounding the Benton Trail.

I spoke with a member of the forest service about upcoming jobs this summer and they mentioned Tunnel Brook. The road is permanently closed, and the work that was done was indeed for erosion/water quality control. The plan is to let the brook reclaim the area. The Tunnel Brook trail will be 'extended' to include the closed road, with work planned this summer to make the northern most end of the trail more sustainable. None of the trails are being closed, thankfully, as the Benton Trail is probably the nicest route to Moosilauke. The signs will be updated to include the new mileage.