Cleaning Up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
As most of us, life is pretty hectic. I love the Whites but I live in NY; and round trip is an average of 700 miles. Some farther, some closer, all depends on the mt. I awake at 3am and proceed to drive, and drive, until I get to the trailhead. Hit the summit (hopefully) and head back down. Often my route takes me through N. Woodstock (love the brewery!!!) where I eat and grab a drink. I take the Tom Sawyer (rough in snow storms!!) to 25/25C and to I-91 onward. I use to stop at Country Bumpkins campground and give them a few dollars for a warm shower. Not so anymore.

I'm not fond of the soap and a sink kinda shower after 4-6hrs on a mt. and I sure don't like smellin! Anyone know of any warm showers available in the area? Especially the winter months. I usually end up home around 11pm. Long day, I'd kill to take a shower ont he way home instead of after I get home.

Thanks! Sean

Hmmm. I think the coin-op showers at the Highland Center are actually in the Depot building, and I'm not sure they're open in the winter. I think I remember seeing a sign in the Shapleigh Bunkhouse stating that the showers in that building were for paying guests only. But I could be mis-remembering, a phone call to the AMC would tell you.

Sorry guys, I wasn't very clear. I am seeking the area around N. Woodstock heading East toward NH/VT border as this is the area I almost always and driving through to get back home.

I've used the Pinkham Notch showers before, it was winter IIRC.

Sorry guys, I wasn't very clear. I am seeking the area around N. Woodstock heading East toward NH/VT border as this is the area I almost always and driving through to get back home.
Going east from North Woodstock to the NH/VT line is going to pass a lot of showers, as it's the long way around.

There are pay showers at Lafayette Campground, but not available in winter.

P&H Truck Stop in Wells River, VT. Not directly on your way south but if you change your route to I-91 it can work.

Dave, My route is 25/25C to 91 South in Bradford VT. Wells River, IIRC is the next exit North or maybe it is 2 North but before St. Johnsbury. Thanks for the info, I could always head past Bradford and take 89 to cross over instead of through Bradford. In good weather, for many of the mountains I often hit, there is no discernible time difference.

Dave, My route is 25/25C to 91 South in Bradford VT. Wells River, IIRC is the next exit North or maybe it is 2 North but before St. Johnsbury. Thanks for the info, I could always head past Bradford and take 89 to cross over instead of through Bradford. In good weather, for many of the mountains I often hit, there is no discernible time difference.

You could take NH112 East and US302 East to Wells River, VTfrom N Woodstock, NH. That will put you on I-91 at exit 17. That's probably quicker than I-93 to 25 to 25C.

Has anyone 'walked in' to Highland Ctr. and been able to just used the shower? I was told by the front desk person that they do not allow that at Highland. I have showered at Pinkham though.

This isn't what you're wanting to hear but...

My solution is to pack a post hike duffel bag with clean cotton clothes. Most importantly, it has the following items in it:
+ clean underwear
+ clean socks
+ moist towelettes
+ Dr. Bronners soap
+ pack towel
+ deodorant

I also keep my hair cut very short (as in Wahl #2 short).

I seek out a bathroom that locks and that has reasonably low traffic. I just strip down and do the sink shower routine. Slip on shoes like clogs make it all a bit easier.

Years of bike touring taught me how to get reasonably clean using this approach. It's not the same as a nice hot shower but it can be enough to go into restaurants without garnering disproving stares.

For me, the real freedom came when I buzzed my hair (in '86) as this allowed me to wash my hair and face at the same time in a sink. Very liberating and I've never looked back.

Dave Metsky put on the right track if you really want a shower. Google for truck stops near I-91. And if you go that route, pack shower sandals.

Dave,

I'm with ya! 5-7hr drive each way for me. I pack a bag with my shower tote and extra clothes. I've done many a bathroom sink clean up! The Crawford Depot (hotel) bathroom is the bomb! Nice and big, clean! But it's still not a shower. Hell, I've had to do the moist wipes and wet towel with warm water n soap at the Woodstock brewery at least a few dozen times. Funny, I feel like a total TOOL yet nobody even seems to pay it mind.

You could take NH112 East and US302 East to Wells River, VTfrom N Woodstock, NH. That will put you on I-91 at exit 17. That's probably quicker than I-93 to 25 to 25C.

That would be through Bethlehem NY correct? Does the police department there still use "non-traditional" patrol cars? I remember a Toranado in the late 90's. I got a chance to meet that chief here in NY for a training he attended. He was stunned when I said I saw that Toranado!!

I seek out a bathroom that locks and that has reasonably low traffic.
I tend to just change in the parking lot for three-season. (If you see my car in the lot and there's a pack on the ground, I advise against looking inside.) For those with modesty requirements somewhere in between me and Dave, there's the Orange Mud wrap or the Undress. Clean clothes + baby wipes will go a long way.

... 5-7hr drive each way for me ...
That's a long day for one hike. Why not a campground, hostel or motel and get in a 2nd hike? The inexpensive hostel in Conway might let you back in the 2nd day for that extra shower, if necessary, and though its a bit east of Woodstock, it is probably one of the more scenic parts of the trip.

Stan, Sure is a long day. I'll be back at work the next morning. Iv'e been doing it for years. It does take its toll; fatigue sets in for sure. I find the beginning of a hike, especially when you get out of a warm car at say LaFayette parking area, and it's -5F and you can see the snow blowing up top; to be the soul searching moment. I'm often questioning my sanity and wondering what the hell I'm doing! What kinda ASS gets up around 3am, drives 6hrs, only to freeze! Then I get closer to the summit and a second wind kicks in.....and I love it! All the way to the top and back to the car.

Then the thought of Brewery and food kicks in....