Footwear recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
It's late in the season for summer footwear, but mine are all disintegrating at once, and that also means it's discount time. I'm looking for both a hiking shoe (usually a moderate to heavy trail runner), and an actual trail running shoe. My past hiking shoe was the Vasque Mindbender (12D), which was just about perfect. My trail running shoe was the Pearl Izumi Peak II (I think 11.5D), which was ok but a little "dead" and REALLY miserable if I had to hit pavement for any length of time. I did Pikes in the Peak II. My road shoe rotation is Saucony Virrata 2 (11.5D) for most miles--this is what I wore for R2R2R, which was probably a mistake but the thought of the Peak II for 50 miles was miserable--complemented by the Brooks PureFlow (11.5D). For faster work I use the NB Minimus Zero (11.5D) and sometimes the Brooks PureDrift (11.5D, probably a half-size too big.)

I'm a moderate pronator but find that emphasizing stability just wears out the inside of the shoe faster and makes it worse. My feet sweat like mad so waterproof anything is right out, except eVent. (I had a pair of Keen trail shoes that hurt like hell to run in and fell apart in no time, but the eVent top was very nice.) I like a fair bit of fore/aft flexibility, particularly in the running shoe ("feel" for the surface), and not too much drop. I'm fairly standard size although a little bit wide in the toebox, which means I sometimes need to go up half a size to keep from jamming my little toe (going to a 2E is too sloppy in the heel and midfoot.)

For hiking shoe, I'm looking primarily at the Vasque Juxt or Grand Traverse. For running, the Pearl Izumi Trail N2 sounds good; I'd consider the M2, but it seems like a little too much shoe for my tastes. Looking for any opinions on these shoes, other shoes I should be considering, and how the sizing/fit is.

I wear New Balance 910 trail runners and really like them. I find them to be very comfortable. I've run trail and cross country races in them. One of the trail races was on fairly challenging terrain (though not nearly as challenging as Pikes must have been). I've run on paved roads in them and they felt fine. I hiked Mt Goose Eye and Carlo in them and they did great.

I love my Brooks Cascadias - wore them on the PCT and they have been great back here in the east as well. Great support and a nice wide, low sole. They remain remarkably similar from year to year (my first pair were Cascadia 6's, I'm wearing Cascadia 9's now). I get 500 miles out of each pair before the cushioning is packed out but, the soles & fabric hold up very well. (I'm a big guy). Very breathable & airy. I wear a 12.5 so I have to order them directly from Brooks as other retailers never seem to carry 1/2 sizes beyond 11.5. You can often find last years model for $70-$85 vs $125 for a new pair.

I have worn several NB models in the past but because they drastically change the models from year to year I won't order a pair without thrying them on first & the durability seems to be highly variable from model to model.

I would highly recommend that you go to a specialty outdoor shop where they have informed personnel and a ramp to test your shoes' fit. I mail ordered high quality boots once but never again. I could easily have returned them (L.L. Bean), but they were good boots just not quite right for me. I eneded up losing them in a previous relationship.

All that being said, I love my Merrel shoes and they (along with Merrel sandals) have lasted longer than most and far longer than some up-scale shoes I have worn. My son swears by New Balance for fit and comfort. These are shoes not boots, mind you.