Mt. Cabot Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
I'm close to finishing my NH 4kfooters. One of the mts. I need is Cabot. I am looking at York Pond & Brunnell Notch trails. I have a day I can go for it in 2 weeks. Snow conditions has me a bit worried. 9.6 miles is some length even if it's not a strenuous 9.6m. Micro spike not 2 bad but if I have to snow shoe it....:mad: If anyone has any idea of the conditions over the next few weeks please post em up!

Second question deals with parking at the fish hatchery. Awesome they let hikers park! But will they lock your arse in?? If I leave my house at 330am I'm arriving, weather permitting, at about 845/9am. Again, the mileage might take me some time, especially if I get a little deeper snow. Overnight is not an option; I need to be back home.

Am I pushing a little to hard on this one? I don't see any easier or quicker route. BUT I've never been to Cabot so maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks.

You should be fine as this is the "standard" route. Check newenglandtrailconditions.com to see the most recent trip reports. The gate is not always closed at 4pm on the dot. Sometimes it stays open all night. I have heard that people that live in the house closest to the gate (within sight) can let you out if need be.

Plenty of folks climb Cabot every weekend. Snow isn't an issue yet and normally isn't for 4 or 5 weeks. Definitely bring microspikes. During hunting season the gate is generally not locked. Generally, the only reason it is locked is short term or if they have vandalism issues.

The biggest issue for you may be the drive up there. It takes 45 minutes to one hour from Appalachia and if you have never been through Berlin before its easy to miss where Rt 110 splits off of Rt 16 as the signage isn't great.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the fish hatchery gate. I did the loop up bunnell notch over the bulge and horn and got out a touch late. The gate was closed but not locked. Got out of my car and removed the pin and opened said gate. Closed and replaced the pin behind me. Nothing strenuous on this loop though. No scrambles unless you decide to go up the horn. Just to be on the safe side. I'd bring some brew, something to eat and a book if you hit the lottery and the gate is actually locked.

This is not scar tactics, just an FYI since you are showing some concern. It's doubtful there'd be be any significant snow depth on the trail before you do it. But if there is, and you should be the first one on the trail after said event, following it at a certain point could be tricky. I was lucky enough to hit it in just those conditions a few years ago. There's a section shown in the map below that goes through very open woods. The trail is very poorly blazed. My last visit was 10/2012. May be that has changed. But with no sign of the trail, or tracks, it was very tough to follow. I was on my 3rd and last attempt of trying to find the right turn onto the KRT, after going back and forth trying to find the trail.
Cabot.JPG

Here's how I saw the trail that day. The arrow shows which way the trail goes. But in woods like that, it can be very difficult to no which way to head.
Mt%25252520Cabot%252525203-15-10%25252520016.jpg

Again, it's extremely doubtful you'd come across this scenario. It's just something that does occur, on some trails, in winter conditions.

I'm so happy to be on this site! I've only been to the Pilot Range 2xs and it was over a decade ago. Thank you all for the gr8 info. Very excited to begin snow season! Even happier to hear no snow shoesneeded, just micro-spikes. I am not a fan of snowshoes!

This is not scar tactics, just an FYI since you are showing some concern. It's doubtful there'd be be any significant snow depth on the trail before you do it. But if there is, and you should be the first one on the trail after said event, following it at a certain point could be tricky. I was lucky enough to hit it in just those conditions a few years ago. There's a section shown in the map below that goes through very open woods. The trail is very poorly blazed. My last visit was 10/2012. May be that has changed. But with no sign of the trail, or tracks, it was very tough to follow. I was on my 3rd and last attempt of trying to find the right turn onto the KRT, after going back and forth trying to find the trail.
Cabot.JPG

Here's how I saw the trail that day. The arrow shows which way the trail goes. But in woods like that, it can be very difficult to no which way to head.
Mt%25252520Cabot%252525203-15-10%25252520016.jpg

Again, it's extremely doubtful you'd come across this scenario. It's just something that does occur, on some trails, in winter conditions.

Joe,

Thanks for the heads up. I see what you mean. Can be very frustrating.

FWIW, there is an abandonded section of the Bunnell Notch Tr that used to descend to the Mt Cabot Tr. This section continued straight (a short distance after the KKR Tr enters on the left). The KKR Tr makes a sharp right here, perhaps that is what Joe is showing in his photo. I only mention thios because if you have an older map it may still be shown.

IQuest is spot on, the former trail is quite apparent going straight forward while the new KRT tends to cut right and the trailbed never has been well established. All it really needs is an arrow.

Just to reinforce what others have said, we finished after hours and the gate was closed but not locked.
I dont think they ever really lock it. they just want it to looked locked. It looks locked with a padlock on a pin but the padlock and pin can be pulled out together
The sign says the gate is open 8am to 4 pm. When I did the Weeks in Sept it was closed when I came in 0530 and when I left at 1630 but I just pulled the pin opened the gate drove through and closed the gate and replaced the pin. Workers at the fishery waved as I passed through in the morning so I know its okay to do this. During winter they keep the gate open 24-7 once the snow starts enough to plow.

They have had rare instances where folks were doing bad things, like stealing fish from the hatchery or partying where they have locked the gate.

If you're very concerned about the gate, I did enjoy doing it from the north (Mill Brook Road to Unknown Pond Trail), provided the road's still open. IIRC the numbers are basically the same as the loop from the hatchery. More time driving, though.

FWIW, there is an abandonded section of the Bunnell Notch Tr that used to descend to the Mt Cabot Tr. This section continued straight (a short distance after the KKR Tr enters on the left). The KKR Tr makes a sharp right here, perhaps that is what Joe is showing in his photo. I only mention thios because if you have an older map it may still be shown.
IQuest is spot on, the former trail is quite apparent going straight forward while the new KRT tends to cut right and the trailbed never has been well established. All it really needs is an arrow.

Actually, no. That old Bunnell Notch Trail section is *really* grown-in these days. After heading up on the Bunnell Notch Trail and cresting the notch, if you know to go straight and plunge into the woods where the KRT turns right, in 50' or so, you *will* see a "The Mt. Cabot Trail is no longer maintained" sign that's identical to the sign where the Mt. Cabot Trail intersects the KRT -- but again, it's all very grown-in.

In fact, the very arrow you requested is now there! Even without the sign there though, RIGHT really is the only obvious direction to go.

How recent is my info? I just dragged in from Cabot an hour ago. I descended the old Bunnell Notch Trail section for about 0.1 mi, then cut N through the woods to rejoin the KRT and consummate today's Cabot mission. I decided I'd take a peek at the section in its entirety (redlining, you know...) once the snow's gone.

BISCUT, if you head up there before the next snow, you can follow my tracks -- but really, the trail and navigation were pretty straightforward. I bare booted the entire hike. The average snow depth is currently 3", with occasional 6-8" drifts. The ground under the snow was still wet and grippy until I hit the switchbacks on the summit "cone," where you need to be careful with your footing - black ice on many of the (slanted, of course) rocks under the snow. I was able to steer clear of it for the most part, and the microspikes stayed in the pack (but do bring them just in case!). I found the hike to be substantially more strenuous than it would be without the snow and ice, because you're never quite sure what you're going to get as you land your foot into the snow -- could be a rock, deep mud, a root, leaves, or a deep slot between two rocks -- which means a ton of extra isometrics for your quads/calves/hamstrings. Once the snow's fully in, things will be easier (except for that 'breaking trail' thing).

Alex

Last edited:
I dont think they ever really lock it. they just want it to looked locked. It looks locked with a padlock on a pin but the padlock and pin can be pulled out together
The sign says the gate is open 8am to 4 pm. When I did the Weeks in Sept it was closed when I came in 0530 and when I left at 1630 but I just pulled the pin opened the gate drove through and closed the gate and replaced the pin. Workers at the fishery waved as I passed through in the morning so I know its okay to do this. During winter they keep the gate open 24-7 once the snow starts enough to plow.

I had a positive experience there. I got back to my car (at the York Pond Trailhead) around 3pm. While I was stowing and changing, a ranger pulled by in his truck, chatted about what hike I did, but turned out primarily to be interested in making sure I could get out in the snow, given that it's a small uphill move to get back onto the road from the small parking area. Apart from constituting friendly and helpful hospitality, it occurred to me that they may leave the gate "escapable" in the event they patrol in the late afternoon and see a car left there whose occupants have not yet returned.

Actually, no. That old Bunnell Notch Trail section is *really* grown-in these days. After heading up on the Bunnell Notch Trail and cresting the notch, if you know to go straight and plunge into the woods where the KRT turns right, in 50' or so, you *will* see a "The Mt. Cabot Trail is no longer maintained" sign that's identical to the sign where the Mt. Cabot Trail intersects the KRT -- but again, it's all very grown-in.

In fact, the very arrow you requested is now there! Even without the sign there though, RIGHT really is the only obvious direction to go.

How recent is my info? I just dragged in from Cabot an hour ago. I descended the old Bunnell Notch Trail section for about 0.1 mi, then cut N through the woods to rejoin the KRT and consummate today's Cabot mission. I decided I'd take a peak at the section in its entirety (redlining, you know...) once the snow's gone.

BISCUT, if you head up there before the next snow, you can follow my tracks -- but really, the trail and navigation were pretty straightforward. I bare booted the entire hike. The average snow depth is currently 3", with occasional 6-8" drifts. The ground under the snow was still wet and grippy until I hit the switchbacks on the summit "cone," where you need to be careful with your footing - black ice on many of the (slanted, of course) rocks under the snow. I was able to steer clear of it for the most part, and the microspikes stayed in the pack (but do bring them just in case!). I found the hike to be substantially more strenuous than it would be without the snow and ice, because you're never quite sure what you're going to get as you land your foot into the snow -- could be a rock, deep mud, a root, leaves, or a deep slot between two rocks -- which means a ton of extra isometrics for your quads/calves/hamstrings. Once the snow's fully in, things will be easier (except for that 'breaking trail' thing).

Alex

Alex, Thanks for the info. If you don't mind, what was your total hike time? I will have micro spikes just in case.

Generally, the only reason it is locked is short term or if they have vandalism issues.
I wouldn't worry about the fish hatchery gate.
Just to reinforce what others have said, we finished after hours and the gate was closed but not locked.

On 13-Nov-2011 (Three Weeks on the Kilkenney Ridge Trail), the gate was locked. Not pinned, but completely locked. With cars inside. They did come out and unlock it for me. I gambled on the general advice that it is rarely ever locked and lost.

YMMV,
Tim

Alex, Thanks for the info. If you don't mind, what was your total hike time? I will have micro spikes just in case.

I started at 9:30 and finished at 3pm, vs. a book time of 6.5 hours (9.6 miles, 3430' elevation gain). Keep in mind that with these trail conditions and the weight of a more winter-like pack, you'll be hiking more slowly than you would in summer conditions.

Alex

I started at 9:30 and finished at 3pm, vs. a book time of 6.5 hours (9.6 miles, 3430' elevation gain). Keep in mind that with these trail conditions and the weight of a more winter-like pack, you'll be hiking more slowly than you would in summer conditions.

Alex

I looked my weather app for Berlin NH this am. Low teens so yes, pack will be a little heavier with winter clothing and spikes to take along.

I looked my weather app for Berlin NH this am. Low teens so yes, pack will be a little heavier with winter clothing and spikes to take along.

Do also keep in mind that the temps at altitude will be 10-15 degrees colder than what's forecast for in town, due to the adiabatic cooling gradient. And of course, it's a good idea to pack gear and food for contingencies that could render you stationary for an extended period, vs. in motion and generating lots of heat.