NH hike safe cards available starting January 1st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really think that unless the card covered you in any situation, it makes no sense. But, what the heck do I know.:confused:

At $25 I'd be willing to do it. I'm there a lot in the rough winter months. I pay $50 for AMC which I won't say much about because I may get an earfull! $25 to NH I feel, as a flatlander is a little giveback and wouldn't mind it just in case I someday need that help. After all, I do hope my ass is in my 70's and still willing and able to hit the WMNF trails. NH Mts. are a special place to many of us, if this is something to ward off a much more dire restriction in the future, that is a plus as well. That is my future fear, increased restriction. Living most of my life in Western MA as a farm boy and coming to the greater NYC area I see such wanton gov't control.....I'd do anything to keep it from the Mts. Maybe I should say, anything to stop it from further encroachment. That is just me....I appreciate the freedom the Mts. give and shudder to think someday my NH mts would be subject to the gov't control seen on that big mt in ME!

Can someone remind me... if I buy a fishing license each year then I'm covered. Correct?

I'll probably get one. I figure eh, what's $25 or so? Plus, if I do need a rescue, it'll probably be because of a random freak injury like a twisted ankle that happened when I was otherwise prepared. After completing the NH 48 and having three full-time winter hiking seasons under my belt, I like to think I've learned a thing or two :D;) .

Can someone remind me... if I buy a fishing license each year then I'm covered. Correct?

Individuals who possess any valid New Hampshire hunting or fishing license, or a current registration for an off-highway recreational vehicle, snowmobile or boat, will also be exempt from repaying rescue costs due to negligence.

I'll probably get one. I figure eh, what's $25 or so? Plus, if I do need a rescue, it'll probably be because of a random freak injury like a twisted ankle that happened when I was otherwise prepared. After completing the NH 48 and having three full-time winter hiking seasons under my belt, I like to think I've learned a thing or two :D;) .

so remind me too please, if I'm prepared and deemed not negligent in some way, would I be covered if I twisted my ankle and couldn't walk or something similar?

The problem is that there is no definition of prepared and not negligent in the rules. In the past F&G has made statements that solo hiking was a proof of negligence and that hiking when there are cold weather warnings are enough to deem negligence.

The terms of this card are still too vague, short-lived, and expensive for it to result in any substantial percentage of hikers buying it, in my opinion. I expect F&G to be back seeking further redress within a year. Sad, because unnecessary, but the Legislature was determined to follow what F&G wanted regardless of any input from the public who will decide whether to buy this annual card or not.

The problem is that there is no definition of prepared and not negligent in the rules. In the past F&G has made statements that solo hiking was a proof of negligence and that hiking when there are cold weather warnings are enough to deem negligence.

Wasn't this appealed and struck down? And IIRC there was a past medical condition added to the negligence of the offender. Not exactly sure, so I'm asking.....

The terms of this card are still too vague, short-lived, and expensive for it to result in any substantial percentage of hikers buying it, in my opinion. I expect F&G to be back seeking further redress within a year. Sad, because unnecessary, but the Legislature was determined to follow what F&G wanted regardless of any input from the public who will decide whether to buy this annual card or not.

In my experience, vague and ambiguous language is often used by design. They may leave it that way so they can decide cases on an individual basis with lots of freedom to decide later what it really means.

Without clear language on solo hiking and definitions of negligence, I'm not buying one. Probably won't even if this is cleaned up. I'll donate to S and R instead.

So, for everyone who chimes in and says "I'll just buy a fishing license instead", that'll run you $56 for out-of-state vs $25 for the hiker card. Of course, you do get to fish, so you get something out of it, if you actually like to fish.

Under the new system, "not negligent" is (and always has been) covered (though one early proposal was "bill everybody").

I think this whole mess would have gone over better if they stuck with the "bill everybody who is reckless or w/o a card/license". Then we wouldn't have the endless "what's negligent?" discussion, we'd only have the "what's reckless?" discussion. And then responsible hikers wouldn't feel like they're subsidizing the negligent ones.

So, for everyone who chimes in and says "I'll just buy a fishing license instead", that'll run you $56 for out-of-state vs $25 for the hiker card. Of course, you do get to fish, so you get something out of it, if you actually like to fish.

It's only $35 for the in-state license (I live in NH).

And I'll get to fish!

I don't currently fish, so it's a good excuse to learn something new. I'm actually quite looking forward to it!

I don't fish but maybe I should get the fishing license so I won't need to explain what the six flies pinned to my Tilley hat are for. (ans. survival gear)

I'll get one too. When I turned 62, I spent $10 on a "Golden Age Pass" that gets me into national parks, seashores and forests free for the rest of my life. So now I have the extra $25 a year that I used to spend on parking passes to blow.

I do a fair amount of solo hiking and am particularly careful, but I still do dumb things from time to time, so I might as well CMA.

So with a hike safe card I can call for a chopper ride home if I am tired and low on water and do not feel like walking back to the car ? But without the card I am negligent if I hike solo or have a cardiac event in the back country (I have a family history so I should have known better) or have a back level OS in my smart phone or gps ? I think it is left deliberately vague. Horrible name for the card. It has zero to do with safety. I will only get one if it becomes law that they enforce.

So with a hike safe card I can call for a chopper ride home if I am tired and low on water and do not feel like walking back to the car ? But without the card I am negligent if I hike solo or have a cardiac event in the back country (I have a family history so I should have known better) or have a back level OS in my smart phone or gps ? I think it is left deliberately vague. Horrible name for the card. It has zero to do with safety. I will only get one if it becomes law that they enforce.

I think most of us would be embarrassed to be rescued under the conditions you list, and will do all in we can to make it out of the woods under our own power. I read the "Accidents" section of Appalachia magazine for tips on how to avoid ending up in one of those reports myself. Still, there's only so much you can do with a broken leg.