Best Direction For North Moat Mtn Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I am looking to do North Moat Mtn as a loop using the Red Ridge Trail in the next week or two. If all goes well I will enjoy the sunset on North Moat or the small peak where Red Ridge Trail joins the Moat Mtn Trail. Any advice on what would be the preferred direction to do this? Never been on any of these trails so I don't know if any particular area is easier to navigate in the dark, if the ledges are easier going up on one versus the other (especially considering possible icy conditions).

Current plan is to ascend Red Ridge Trail, catch the sunset on North Moat and hike out on Moat Mtn Trail, parking at Diana's Bath area off West Side Rd. Any feedback would be appreciated.

As planned, going up Red Ridge, sounds great. That's the way I'd do it for a dark descent - I would suggest thinking about tacking on the South peak if possible.

There's a significant stream crossing at the foot of the red ridge trail - best to get that out of the way before dark. The north moat trail crosses the same stream just a little higher up, but it's significantly easier. The trail gets a bit confusing in that area as it gets a little braided while crossing some small tributaries, but don't panic, it very quickly returns to cant-miss-it style.

As planned, going up Red Ridge, sounds great. That's the way I'd do it for a dark descent - I would suggest thinking about tacking on the South peak if possible.

I did South and Middle about a month ago on what was supposed to be all three but the weather deteriorated to steady rain and fog by the time I got to South so I ended up turning back just past Middle where the trail drops down into the col. Really enjoyed that hike, even in the rain. Want to get back up there with good weather.

There's a significant stream crossing at the foot of the red ridge trail - best to get that out of the way before dark. The north moat trail crosses the same stream just a little higher up, but it's significantly easier. The trail gets a bit confusing in that area as it gets a little braided while crossing some small tributaries, but don't panic, it very quickly returns to cant-miss-it style.

That was my thought looking at the map. In the dark it seems like you can follow the river just about all the way back to West Side Rd if the trail is not obvious. Good navigation boundary/feature if things go awry in the dark!