Mt. Cabot via York Pond, Bunnell Notch, and Kilkenny Ridge Trails - 11/14/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmtn

Reaction score
Mt. Cabot via York Pond, Bunnell Notch, and Kilkenny Ridge Trails - 11/14/2014

Trail Conditions: This trail is very rocky, with a number of muddy stretches. There was 3" of graupel snow on the trail, with occasional 6-8" drifts. Below the point at which the Mt. Cabot trail intersects the Kinsman Ridge Trail (i.e, below the "summit cone"), the ground was still wet and grippy. On the cone, there's extensive black ice on the rocks under the snow, so be sure of your footing. Water crossings small and easy - though on my return, some of the rocks had iced over - so again, be sure of your footing.

Special Equipment Required: I barebooted the entire hike, but had I broken out the MicroSpikes, I could have had a more carefree time on the upper portion of the trip.

Comments: Had the mountain to myself, a pretty day in the 20s. Periodic smatterings of sun made up for several very enthusiastic graupel showers. In this season of fallen leaves and shallow snow, managing each footfall is a bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates -- when your foot descends into the snow, you never know what you're going to get when your foot lands -- perhaps a rock, perhaps a deep opening between rocks, perhaps a sub-optimally slanted root, perhaps 12" of mud. I find that managing my steps in these conditions requires far more calories from quad/calf/hamstring isometrics than what's needed either when there's no snow, or lots of snow. Great training value!

alexmtn

Last edited: