Size Frustrations!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
I've read threads here where a few posters indicated their shoe size was 13 with some EEEE's and such. I've always had fit trouble with clothes and shoes/boots since I can remember. I am 5'10" 230 widebody football player neck kinda guy with a lot of shoulders; XXL hands (I've been able to palm a basket ball since HS); and 13E shoes. A LOT!!! Of the dudes I see on the trail are more tall and lanky. I wen't through hell (sorry for all the returns Zappos!!!) finding boots I liked and that fit. I ended up with LaSportiva Omega GTX and another pair of LaSportiva Malaku's (wore out a pair). I also find Saloman to fit like a 13 but even running/fitness shoes, Nike tends to be snug, Reebox snug, Asics just right, and the list goes on...Not many 13.5 out there, and lets face it, when your 5'10" and wearing 13 you get a complex that your feet look like a clown or worse, Dumbo! Never mind fitting crampons and snow shoe bindings!

I went nuts getting a new pack a few months ago. I wanted the updated version of the Gregory Alpinisto. Like everythign else for me, I'm inbetween sizes. My torso measured 3x's (by a seamstress) averages 20" I call Gregory, and we determined start with the M. This I do, but somethign just doesn't feel right, and the shoulder straps are just 2 tight and well above my armpit line. I now get the L and the shoulder straps extended fit just right but the pac seems a hair long! AGHR!!! :mad::mad::mad: Why, oh why did Dana sell his business!!! I used a Dana Bomb pack for a decade (I went for a new one for lighter pack weight and a few modern features). So I have L Gregory Alpinisto I will take on to Mt. Cabot to see how it functions in the field.

Last bit of my rant.....I wanted a superlight Primaloft jacket for the colder hikes. I went to the LLBEAN lightweight in their recent catalog, got it in and was marveled at how light......XL was way to tight in the shoulders....XXL would surely fit....NOPE felt like a suit jacket 1 size to small. I was able to get a Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic XL and fit was just right.

I feel much better now! :)