Meadow Lane closed for the winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Meadow Lane (previously South Meadow Road) is now closed for the winter. This adds about one mile to the approach to Marcy Dam via the Truck Trail or to the Klondike Notch and Mr. Van trails.

This has been happening since about 2 008. Am I the only one disgusted by this? It's not just Meadow Lane, but the town has forbidden parking all along the Loj Road. I used to drive in to South Meadows with the kids and ski to Marcy Dam where they would feed the chickadees from their hands and back and then to stay at the Alpine Club of Canada's refuge at Keene, or, when I was flush at a motel in Placid. Dinner was always in Placid. The last time I went there in winter (never again), it was all closed and ADK had bulit another parking lot for money where you and I would have to spend their rip-off fees. The town road was off limits. I remember when ADK was really a non profit organisation run by volunteers, but now it's a big business rip-off that pays their executives corporation salaries and gives nothing back.

I hope to hear from people who both agree and disagree with me because it's time for a conversation about things like this.

Nothing personal, nor political, please.

Well there's no doubt that ADK's first priority is organizational survival. Most non-profits, once they get big enough and old enough, leave their initial mission behind and become all about self preservation. (Come to think of it, this happens with bureaucracies, as well.) So that's one factor.

The other factor is that ADK's $ are mostly coming from rich downstate greens who are really interested in an "everybody out, this is wilderness" future for the park. (This is not my opinion - ADK admitted this straight up in an ADK magazine editorial some years ago. I was surprised to see such "straight talk", and not surprised that I never saw it again.) This shift in funding source balance has produced a concomitant shift in priorities. This is very visible. For example, ADK used to define it's mission around three core values: Conservation, Education, and Recreation. In the recent incarnation, this is changed to the "ADK C.A.R.E.S." theme. "CARES" is Conservation, Advocacy, Recreation, Education, Stewardship. Or, read more clearly: Conservation, Conservation, Recreation, Education, Conservation. So guess which way things are shifting. Now of course a time honored way of reducing usage in an area is to eliminate the parking.

This is not to totally hammer ADK. They are still a centrist and mature influence in the ongoing discusssion over the park's future. Witness the recent Essex Chain and Lot 8 situations. ADK took a centrist position on these discussions, as opposed to some groups which are still wandering around on the fringes.

Two issues here:
1) The Town of North Elba decided several years ago to stop plowing Meadow Lane. One main reason was the frequent problem that camper's cars would be plowed in and the Town felt a responsibility to go back and help them out of the snowbank, or the individual ended up with a large bill from a private tow truck/snowplow operator. I also have fond memories of driving in to take my kids to Marcy Dam. Since they didn't usually sand that road, the best part for my kids was skijoring behind my truck going in and out.
2) Parking is restricted on ADK Loj Rd. so that those who don't want to pay can't just park on the shoulder a few feet down from the booth. More importantly, parking control was the alternative incorporated into the High Peaks UMP as better than a restrictive permit system in controlling use. The road to the Garden was already posted against parking from just above the village and had worked to control use, so the same on ADK Loj Rd. was not something totally new. I realize that this is a sometimes messy way of dealing with peak crowds, but would you rather have to apply for a permit (that you might not get) just to do a day hike in the High Peaks?

ADK has a large and diverse membership base, so at one time or another many opinions have been expressed by ADK members and officials - either verbally or in print. I don't think that overall the organization is as restrictive as TCD thinks it is. Going back to the High Peaks Wilderness UMP debate in the 90s, ADK was very much against restrictive camping permits and lobbied hard for more designated campsites. ADK trail crews have done a tremendous amount of work in the High Peaks and elsewhere, and most of their trail hardening work has the goal of allowing current and future levels of use without degrading the resource. I could go on, but I guess that any large organization or bureaucracy is a pretty big target if you want to find fault.

Thanks, Tony. Don't get me wrong about ADK - like I said, I think it is a centrist and mature player. And it does a lot of good work. As you said, in any big organization, there are many voices. Most of the time, ADKs voice is helpful. It's only occasionally that the "fringe" elements pop up and start speaking for the organization.

The South Meadows Road was an excellent "FREE" alternative for camping for those whom did not want to pay the ADK Mountain Club for a place to set up a tent or catch a few Z's before hitting the trail. It is unfortunate that the ADK Mountain Club cannot make an effort to obtain the South Meadow Road from the town of North Elba. It would make for a nice cheaper economic alternative for those whom did not want to pay or cannot pay the steep pricing of the LOJ. I can understand the town's concerns with plowing and extrication. Although I cannot help but wonder if there is not a bit of "You scratch my back I scratch yours" going on. The now I believe defunct plan the ADK had a few years back on expanding the development of their property with a new visitor center along with I believe a land swap with the DEC was way more aggressive. Having the South Meadows Road closed in Winter with out a doubt funnels people on to the LOJ Property and lines the ADK Mountain Clubs treasure chest. With declining memberships it would behoove them to expand their socio-economic opportunities. The South Meadows would make for just that. It does not have to be for free but provide an alternative that both the tramper and the ADK Mountain Club would benefit from IMO. In other words do you want some of my money or none of it.....and yes they do get some of it as I have been a supporting member for the past 25 years.

Last edited:
Meadow Lane is State land, and there is no way ADK could gain control and then charge a nominal fee to camp. (Yes, there could be a land swap, but that would have to be a constitutional amendment and that just isn't going to happen.) The reality is that there are, by my recent count, 17 free campsites available most of the year with no walk or just a short walk - privies included. In winter it is a longer walk, but much shorter than going to Marcy Dam.

There have been various suggestion on how the State would create their own "Visitor Center" and parking as an alternative to ADK Loj. The reality first of all is that the DEC doesn't have the money to build such a facility, Secondly, the ADK handles parking and access pretty well, so why reinvent the wheel?

Meadow Lane is State land, and there is no way ADK could gain control and then charge a nominal fee to camp. (Yes, there could be a land swap, but that would have to be a constitutional amendment and that just isn't going to happen.) The reality is that there are, by my recent count, 17 free campsites available most of the year with no walk or just a short walk - privies included. In winter it is a longer walk, but much shorter than going to Marcy Dam.

There have been various suggestion on how the State would create their own "Visitor Center" and parking as an alternative to ADK Loj. The reality first of all is that the DEC doesn't have the money to build such a facility, Secondly, the ADK handles parking and access pretty well, so why reinvent the wheel?

:confused:If there was a bit better parking at the bottom of South Meadows for a wee bit more Cars in Winter then I think I lot more folks would be happy on this issue. Thankyou as always with your spot on Information Tony! Especially for the heads up in your OP. Big Change is not necessary and I agree major difficulty is in place. Although a bit of tweaking might not hurt. Looking forward to your ski reports...bring on the White Stuff!:)