Moosilauke via Glencliff Trail and Carriage Road - 11/22/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btausend

Reaction score
Date of Hike: November 22, 2014

Trail Conditions: From the trailhead the Glencliff Trail is basically bare and covered in leaves. The first stream crossing at the end of the fields is almost completely frozen over. As we continued to ascend the trail started to get partially covered in snow and before long it was completely covered in snow. The higher we got on the the Glencliff trail the more snow on the trail and trees. There were two small ice flos on the trail, one about 100' long and the other about 20'. There didn't appear to be any hidden ice under the snow. The Carriage Road is completely covered in snow. As we approched the cairns, the trail developed a thick icy crust. Sometimes you would break through it and sometimes you could walk on it. There was ice under the snow on this section of the trail. Also there were some minor drifts. There was not enough snow for snowshoes and rocks and roots are still exposed.

Special Equipment Used: I was part of a group of 10 which was part of a winter hiking series. Once we hit the ice flos most everyone put on microspikes or hillsounds to get used to hiking in them. I continued to bareboot. I had no problem with traction, but probaby should have put on my hillsounds for the final ascent up Moosilauke. It would have made it a lot easier not having to avoid the ice. On the trip down I put on my hillsounds for added traction so I could keep up a good pace. Poles were helpful especially in the sustained 35 to 40 MPH winds on the summit. Gaitors are not necessary yet.

Comments: It was a nice crisp morning and very much like a winter hike even though it is only November. We also had great views along the way and on the summit.

Brian Tausendfreund

Just a clarification about my comment about rocks and roots still exposed. They are covered in snow, but the snow depth is not great enough to make them disappear. You still need to step on or around them.

Brian