Possible great deal on some mid-layer pants polartec fleece

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have no affiliation with this site nor am I getting anything out of it, but New military-issue genuine polartec fleece pants with full zips for $15 seems like a bargain. YMMV. There is a coupon code for free shipping at the main site (today)

Its not really clear how thick they are, but they do have suspenders.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-us-military-polar-fleece-overalls-black?a=768008

Thanks for thinking to post this! I have a 15 year old pair of snuggly REI fleece pants that have been serving me well for keeping warm on the ski lifts. However, when making/enjoying camp in winter, they don't have zips, and hence entail some overhead to don -- "am I cold enough yet to be willing to go through that effort"? Zips would really help, and I've had my eye out for a full-zip pair for years. I'm in, and have high hopes.

On placing my order, I entered the coupon code that the site said would exempt me from a $6 shipping charge, but it appeared to go through without removing the charge. I sent a follow-up e-mail, but these still may turn out to be a $21 pair of pants rather than a $15 pair. I'll let you know how this turns out, both money-wise and pants-wise. In the meantime though, thanks again for posting something that to date I haven't been able to find, and for which 'great deal' might very well prove to be an understatement. This is the first I've heard of these folks, and while perhaps more focused on hunting and outdoor work, they still seem to have a lot of hiking-relevant stuff.

Alex

Last edited:
I've bought a few military surplus items from them and have been satisfied. Keep your eyes wide open on the details, though.

I wonder how fast the used Serbian Fire Helmets will sell. Its "Pre-Tested"! Anyhow I will measure the inseams of the XL's polartecs when they come.

Last edited:
...I will measure the inseams of the XL's polartecs when they come.

I will do the same with my "medium/long"s. In the meantime, I can report that I got a prompt and friendly reply to my e-mail, indicating that they're going to refund me the $5.99 that wasn't properly removed from my total by the coupon code.

Alex

Well, my fleece pants arrived. They're just about exactly what I've been hoping for. They're done in Polartec 200 -- the plush, warm stuff of such garments as the ubiquitous North Face Denali -- and the full side zips are done with pretty rugged zippers (teeth, not coils, and one gauge down from what you'd expect in a traditional heavy duty parka). The only minus I note is the absence of draft flaps - but NBD because they'll be under a shell. There's enough volume in the legs to go over a base layer plus hiking pants if necessary, which is what I'd typically have on under my shell when arriving at camp in zero degree conditions.

They come with really terrific suspenders as well -- 2" wide elastic straps and very secure plastic buckles. Also, the fly is super-long, pretty much reaching the absolute bottom of the crotch.

Weight for this size ("medium"/"long" inseam): 18oz

In short, expectations heartily exceeded for this $15* purchase -- I would willingly have spent up to $100 for this as I've been looking for years for something like it, had I found it somewhere ahead of Remix's thoughtful alert!

Sizing: I'm a 32-ish waist with a somewhat more robust rump, and the pants fit very nicely. I think anyone in the 32-24 range would be happy with this "medium" waist size. I ordered "long", and they came with a 29" inseam. Were these street pants, that wouldn't be long enough for me -- but it's just about perfect for use in conjunction with high top boots or camp booties.

Thanks again for the thoughtful heads-up, Remix -- I cant wait to deploy these pants!

Alex

* I also got charged a $6 shipping fee that my coupon code was supposed to eliminate -- they've promised a refund, but unless/until that comes through, it's a $21 purchase...

Last edited:
Mine came too, but I have to admit they are too short.. I got an XL...they were marked Short/ regular -- just like sardog said. Unfortunately the inseam has to be 28 inches. I got charged 15 bucks, but there is an return sticker in the package. I will have to send them back.

Sounds like a nice option, although probably a bit short for me. I think people do underestimate the benefit that a pair of warm pants can bring in camp or if you're stopped for an emergency. The general leg warmth is one thing, but it helps with toe warmth, and the core heat loss from the femoral artery can be pretty severe.

My "ohshit" pants are the Patagonia DAS Pants, which although they list for $250, I paid I think $80 for on the web specials (a great place to watch if you don't mind hideous colours). They are a ridiculously warm Primaloft with full-separating side zips, sadly no suspenders. And for the discount all I had to do was accept that they're a wonderful shiny green-gold, which will go nicely with my bright red pants, and electric blue softshell, and bright orange ("mango," Patagucci web special!) hardshell.

I have been told my trail name should be "Disco Stu."

...And for the discount all I had to do was accept that they're a wonderful shiny green-gold, which will go nicely with my bright red pants, and electric blue softshell, and bright orange ("mango," Patagucci web special!) hardshell. I have been told my trail name should be "Disco Stu."

Just remember that one man's hideous can be another's "KEWL!" - I'm sure that you're the envy of a decent number of compatriots and passing hikers. I especially like my orange and lime green top-of-the-line Patagonia shell when leading a trip - the thing is so utterly official looking. On one AMC trip I led up the winter Lionhead steeps, it was a delight not only to have the attention of my participants, but also to get chatted up by a couple of passing pro guides on ascent and then a couple more on descent. While I'd like to think that it was the incredible skill and manliness that I routinely exude, I'm pretty sure it was the jacket...

Jon, I think I remember seeing you in the bright red pants...

Alex

Mine came too, but I have to admit they are too short.. I got an XL...they were marked Short/ regular -- just like sardog said. Unfortunately the inseam has to be 28 inches. I got charged 15 bucks, but there is an return sticker in the package. I will have to send them back.

Before you send them away, do consider the height of your boots in the equation. Especially for skiing (full height AT boots) but also for hiking (6" Omegas or 9" Momentum Ice Locks), I kinda want my insulating pants to look as if I'm expecting a flood -- otherwise, there's just too much stuff bunched up down there.

Alex

Last edited: