Hikers Discover The Shocking Truth About November In The Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have explained the great kilt better.
So, you have five yards of wool cloth 60" wide, lay it on the ground over your belt, and pleat it widthwise, leaving about 18" unpleated at each end. Then you lie down on the cloth with the edge at your knees, fold the ends over your front, buckle your belt, and stand up. Now there is about 30" of kilt hanging down loose from your belt around you, over the pleated part that looks like the modern kilt. You can pull the loose or free end of the cloth up over your head for protection from rain, or for sleeping. Normally you kinda roll it up and tuck the right end behind your belt, then draw the left end over your left shoulder and pin it to your jacket with a large round penannular brooch. Now you see why the modern kilt has replaced the ancient great kilt.
The bit about wrapping yourself in a wet kilt and letting your body heat keep you warm is more than a little puzzling. Let us recall that the Highlander at war carried oatmeal for food and plenty of whisky for warmth. Perhaps the idea was that wind doesn't penetrate frozen cloth as easily as dry cloth.

do they make a UL version of that?

I should have explained the great kilt better.
So, you have five yards of wool cloth 60" wide, lay it on the ground over your belt, and pleat it widthwise, leaving about 18" unpleated at each end. Then you lie down on the cloth with the edge at your knees, fold the ends over your front, buckle your belt, and stand up. Now there is about 30" of kilt hanging down loose from your belt around you, over the pleated part that looks like the modern kilt. You can pull the loose or free end of the cloth up over your head for protection from rain, or for sleeping. Normally you kinda roll it up and tuck the right end behind your belt, then draw the left end over your left shoulder and pin it to your jacket with a large round penannular brooch. Now you see why the modern kilt has replaced the ancient great kilt.
The bit about wrapping yourself in a wet kilt and letting your body heat keep you warm is more than a little puzzling. Let us recall that the Highlander at war carried oatmeal for food and plenty of whisky for warmth. Perhaps the idea was that wind doesn't penetrate frozen cloth as easily as dry cloth.

Maybe proper illumination was not the only protective gear they forgot.
I have always been in favor of some "Stealth Rubber" than a Kilt in my bag of tricks for keeping warm.

Camp Penacook is actually an open faced shelter not a cabin, though I like the point your trying to make. He might try the Hilton next, or he might need a new girlfriend.:cool:

I was thinking Stephanie needs a BF who reads his WMG and decides to try a romantic hike to a cabin or has gear for winter hiking, aka, a four season tent.