Mount Tom, Field, and Willey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Saturday, November 29th

Trails: A-Z Trail, Willey Range Trail, Kedron Flume Trail

Trail Conditions: Packed powder from the unplowed train station by the AMC Center. The trail became slippery after the junction for Mount Willard. The footing was great from the Mount Tom Spur and leading up to Field. There were some drifted areas and unpacked powder, but snowshoes were not necessary.

Special Equipment: light traction and poles made the water crossings easier over icy rocks.

Comments: According to my vehicle the temp was around 14 degrees at the AMC Highland Center. Despite the chilly temps the winds were minimal and I was comfortable all day.

I met Steven and Mark today who offered to give me a lift back to the station if I traversed with them. The trail descending down from Willey was as steep and slippery as expected. The Kedron Flume Trail was not broken out but easy to follow and the powdery snow was easy to wade through without snowshoes. There are many hidden roots and rocks along this way and microspikes made things a lot easier.

Nice to meet you Steven and Mark, thanks for the lift and company :D

Z