Sue Johnston redlines the White Mtn Guide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most miles hiked for least redline miles: Grafton Loop (west) Trail, 17-18 miles for 0.3 campsite spur redline miles. Also opted for a Mahoosuc Traverse in order to claim Trident Col Campsite Spur, 31 miles for 0.2 redline miles.
LOL, that's the kind of thing that would make me just not do it! :D

Congratulations Sue. A really great accomplishment, especially the part that you continued to do it over multiple decades. Your hikes are inspirational, and you are living the words of Tom Petty: "you never slow down, you never grow old." Words to live by. Well done.

Congratulations Sue Johnston ... very impressive finish. Enjoyed your list of highlights. So, what's next? For that matter, what's left?? :)

So, what's next? For that matter, what's left?? :)

A lot!! Somehow the list of things to do is always growing longer, not shorter. Currently am in the midst of a month-long "yoga immersion" of sorts, trying to get 30 classes (90 min each) in in 30 days. This is Day 9 and I feel great! :)

Then there are all those other trails and mountains out there. Yep, there's a lot left!

Now you people have done it! The disease is spreading!

http://adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17671

:D

I've only recently been introduced to the Daks (a Great Range traverse on a gorgeous day this past July), and one thing I noticed in looking for maps/guidebooks is that there's more reliance on 'informal' trails than in the Whites - and that different maps will include/omit varying sets of these trails. So in order to remove any ambiguity around the redlining feat, folks would need to embrace a single standard source. I suppose one could limit things to just the 'official' trails, but though it's a start, it misses so much. What do you Dak experts think - is there in fact an obvious solution?

Alex

Last edited:
The thread I referenced talked about this, it is generally agreed that you should count the 'herd paths' to the 46. Many of these are adopted and maintained legally now, BTW.

How far out you go is another matter. The ADKs encompass a lot more than the High Peaks.