Battery charger

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Energizer is at least a recognizable brand--the cheap made-in-China cells that I was referring to were not from a recognizable brand.

I would hope that Energizer would be better than no-name...

Doug

Recognizable brands are often the most counterfeited. I needed to get batteries for a toy for my nephew-- Christmas morning in Manhattan. I bought a set of Duracells at the "Duracell" premium price from a corner store--the packaging was flagrantly pirate quality--no trademarks and a misspelling.

Google up "counterfeit batteries" for reports of how prevalent this is. I almost lost a set a shot gun mikes because I picked up some fake Duracell AAA's at a no-name gas station in the Hudson Valley in New York. They leaked in a very short time, and I had to spend a lot of time cleaning them out. I still had the packaging because I bought a 4 pack and only used 2. I sent it in to Proctor-Gamble seeking to get the mics replaced, and they emailed back (in writing) that the packaging was counterfeit.

The last place on earth to buy any kind of batteries for hiking would be ebay or a convenience store, imho.

Recognizable brands are often the most counterfeited. I needed to get batteries for a toy for my nephew-- Christmas morning in Manhattan. I bought a set of Duracells at the "Duracell" premium price from a corner store--the packaging was flagrantly pirate quality--no trademarks and a misspelling.
Buying from reputable stores may be your best defense:. Batteries are a blind item--you cannot tell what is inside except by using them.

I have heard that this is a major problem in parts of the third world--so bad that one should bring ones own from home. (A member of an archeological expedition doing underground work told me about this...)

Fortunately my cheap made-in-China cells didn't do any damage--they simply didn't last very long. (I bought them at an electronics store that generally sells good stuff.)

Doug

Last edited:
Rechargeable cells, in addition to being cheaper over the long run, have the advantage that one can always start with fully charged cells without accumulating a stock of half-used non-rechargeable cells...

For the reasons noted by Gremlin, I swear by the Eveready Ultimate lithiums for my headlamps, pocket flashlight and SPOT (which I don't use continuously). I also like the fact that they weigh 2/3 as much as alkaline and non Li-ion rechargeables, which makes carrying prudent backup quantities even more of a no-brainer.

To get around the constraint noted above by Doug, as well as well as to minimize muss and fuss while trying to get from point A to point B in the dark, I carry a full backup headlamp with fresh batteries. When/if the batteries in the first headlamp die or the lamp fails for some other reason, I just stash it and whip out the backup. Then, later when in a more conducive time/place, I can replace the dead batteries so that what will now be my backup lamp is ready for service.

Should I ever decide to accept a full fledged GPS into my bag of tricks, I'll consider rechargeables--with the hope that the units catch up with Li-ion technology (or some other amazing alternative) by that point in time, as well as manage to achieve still-better power efficiency levels.

Alex

To get around the constraint noted above by Doug, as well as well as to minimize muss and fuss while trying to get from point A to point B in the dark, I carry a full backup headlamp with fresh batteries. When/if the batteries in the first headlamp die or the lamp fails for some other reason, I just stash it and whip out the backup. Then, later when in a more conducive time/place, I can replace the dead batteries so that what will now be my backup lamp is ready for service.
This works well for headlamps, but not so well for GPSes. Failing batteries are easy to notice in a headlamp but are easy to miss in a GPS leading to gaps in the recorded track. (When recording a track, I usually toss my GPS in the top of my pack at the start and ignore it until I get back to the car.)

Should I ever decide to accept a full fledged GPS into my bag of tricks, I'll consider rechargeables--with the hope that the units catch up with Li-ion technology (or some other amazing alternative) by that point in time, as well as manage to achieve still-better power efficiency levels.
GPSes tend to burn batteries and, unlike headlamps, many users keep them on for the entire hike.

In warm weather, the primary advantage of lithiums is their (lighter) weight and their main disadvantage is cost. (NiMHs plus a charger have a higher initial cost, but lower running costs.)

Doug

Last edited:
In warm weather, the primary advantage of lithiums is their (lighter) weight and their main disadvantage is cost. (NiMHs plus a charger have a higher initial cost, but lower running costs.)

Since my current hiking configuration includes nothing that chews through batteries, there really is no cost disadvantage to the disposables. Even with my intense hiking calendar (averaging around one beefy hiking day per week with frequent pre-dawn and post-dusk finishes and several backpacks), if I go through more than 16 AAA cells a year it's unusual -- hasn't happened yet, at least to this point. And in the warmer months, I pack alkalines rather than lithiums. Whatever the small cost penalty there may be in using disposable batteries, it's money well spent to avoid the cost and junk-around-the-house factor of the charger and the hassle of loading/unloading batteries after each outing. And of course, there is negligible shelf leakage with disposables, so I get the peace of mind in knowing that my headlamps are ready to go without worrying about whether I remembered to top off the batteries before leaving on my trip.

This works well for headlamps, but not so well for GPSes. Failing batteries are easy to notice in a headlamp but are easy to miss in a GPS leading to gaps in the recorded track. (When recording a track, I usually toss my GPS in the top of my pack at the start and ignore it until I get back to the car.)

As I indicated earlier, if continuous GPS operation is something I decide to opt for in the future, I'll certainly look at the rechargeable options which, as you've pointed out, start to make lots of sense in that scenario. One of the things that would cause me to go for making full GPS tracks is a quantum improvement in GPS power efficiency and consequent battery life. As things stand now, it's just not worth the hassle or cost to get an electronic track for each of my hikes. However if someone on my trip records a track, it's my considered policy not to object. :cool: Beyond that, I log my waypoint times by hand [:eek:], and have no problem making whatever speed calculations I desire.

Alex

Last edited:
Another, or the same reason I use lithiums is that while alkalines perform as well when warmed, warming them is unreasonable if not impossible whilst witner camping. My battery pack rides in the kangaroo pocket of my bibs, but will notwarm up in a day. Th new lithium powered headlamps with large LED's are great, but for now I'll stick to my Petzl 5 LED plus halogen and sleep with the battery pack.

And of course, there is negligible shelf leakage with disposables, so I get the peace of mind in knowing that my headlamps are ready to go without worrying about whether I remembered to top off the batteries before leaving on my trip.
I've never had any leakage problems from my NiMH cells. And the low-discharge cells (eg Eneloop) do not generally require topping off.

One of the things that would cause me to go for making full GPS tracks is a quantum improvement in GPS power efficiency and consequent battery life.
In the Garmin line, the battery life may have plateaued or even be on the way down as more features and gimmicks are added.
Battery lifetimes (2 AA cells):
* 60CSx (older version)** 17 hrs, measured with 2000 mAh Eneloops
* 60CSx (newer version)** 22 hrs, measured with 2000 mAh Eneloops
* 62s: 20 hrs, rated
* 64s: 16 hrs, rated
** There appear to have been some unannounced improvements while the 60CSx was in production. The rated lifetime is ~18hrs.

(currently available, not in the above sequence)
* Etrex 20 and 30: 25 hrs, rated

(There is a battery saving mode, but I generally disrecommend its use as it decreases accuracy and increases the probability of losing lock.)

Doug

I've never had any leakage problems from my NiMH cells. And the low-discharge cells (eg Eneloop) do not generally require topping off.

Let me try again with this one. You said:

Rechargeable cells, in addition to being cheaper over the long run, have the advantage that one can always start with fully charged cells without accumulating a stock of half-used non-rechargeable cells...

My point is simply that you can't secure the above advantage unless you remember to take the trouble to recharge/top them off (my definition of topping off is to recharge a not-fully-expended battery) after your prior trip and ahead of your next trip. Whether due to leakage (rule of thumb: 1%/month) or just their use on a prior trip, they won't be fully charged unless you do that. Vs. my approach with disposables of simply leaving my 'used' headlamp alone and swapping units at whatever future point the batteries die -- no between-trips hassle, no chores to have to remember.

As a side note, memory effect isn't as much of a problem for Ni-mh as it was for NiCd, but you still need to know what you're doing if pursuing a top-off strategy. Li-ion is the most conducive technology to topping-off, and has better power density and low-temperature performance, yet it doesn't yet seem to be around much in the 'AA rechargeables' world, most likely due to the voltage difference. Perhaps it won't take much longer for gizmo designers to realize that two 1.5V AA batteries in series have the same physical form factor as two 3.7V AA batteries in parallel.

In the Garmin line, the battery life may have plateaued or even be on the way down as more features and gimmicks are added. Battery lifetimes (2 AA cells): ... 60CSx (newer version) 22 hrs, measured with 2000 mAh Eneloops ...

We know that current technologies are capable of supporting a longer run time. If a wristwatch-sized unit can run for several hours on a tiny battery, it's obvious that two AA's could run the thing for drastically longer than 22 hrs. But anyway, until someone packages a model that boasts the efficiency of today's best wristwatch units combined with a beefily sized Li-ion battery (or better yet, gets the power efficiency high enough to make disposable batteries cost effective), folks will remain tethered to the hassle-ridden charging regimens that continue to make me hold off (i.e., how much am I willing to put up with in order to enjoy an automatically generated route track and the ability to 'cheat' on navigation?).

Also, you mentioned that a common issue with today's GPS units is having them die on you mid-hike without you knowing it. Doesn't anyone offer a feature which, when enabled, screams bloody murder when the batteries are running low so that you can stop and replace them then and there?? There certainly aren't any technical obstacles to doing that -- 'low power' detection is common in various little electronic gadgets, as are excruciatingly loud, yet very compact sound annunciators.

Alex

Last edited:
My point is simply that you can't secure the above advantage unless you remember to take the trouble to recharge/top them off (my definition of topping off is to recharge a not-fully-expended battery) after your prior trip and ahead of your next trip. Whether due to leakage (rule of thumb: 1%/month) or just their use on a prior trip, they won't be fully charged unless you do that. Vs. my approach with disposables of simply leaving my 'used' headlamp alone and swapping units if/when the batteries die -- no between-trips hassle, no chores to have to remember.
The discharge rate of a good quality low-discharge NiMH is low enough that you do not have to worry about topping it off if it has been charged within the last year or so. You are also ignoring the fact that primary batteries also self-discharge when not in use...

As a side note, memory effect isn't as much of a problem for Ni-mh as it was for NiCd, but you still need to know what you're doing if pursuing a top-off strategy.
This is correct as far as you state it, but it is only a minor issue for NiMH if you use a good charger (and is easily erased with a rejuvenate cycle or two). You can also view lithiums as having a very severe memory problem--you use them once and they have no capacity left no matter what you do... (BTW, do not ever try to recharge a lithium primary cell.)

NiCd's have their uses, but are a poor choice for hiking.

Li-ion is the most conducive technology to topping-off, and has better power density and low-temperature performance, yet it doesn't yet seem to be around much in the 'AA rechargeables' world, most likely due to the voltage difference. Perhaps it won't be long before someone realizes that two 1.5V batteries in series could have the same physical form factor as two 3.7V batteries in parallel.
Any rechargeable battery can be topped off.

Li-ion's must be used only in equipment and chargers designed to use them--they would be destroyed very quickly if directly substituted for NiMH, alkaline, or lithium cells (even taking the voltage difference into account). The different shapes and sizes protect against substitution.

Also the low temperature performance of Li-ion is similar to that of NiMH. (Only primary lithium cells are significantly better.)

BTW, Petzl and Princeton-Tec make Li-ion powered headlamps. (I prefer headlamps with readily-available standard-size (eg AA or AAA) field-replaceable batteries.)

Also, you mentioned that a common issue with today's GPS units is having them die on you mid-hike without you knowing it. Doesn't anyone offer a feature which, when enabled, screams bloody murder when the batteries are running low so that you can stop and replace them then and there?? There certainly aren't any technical obstacles to doing that -- 'low power' detection is common in various little electronic gadgets, as are extremely loud, yet very compact sound annunciators.
Yes, GPSes do beep to warn one that the batteries are getting low. However in practice one often doesn't hear them. Also NiMH and lithium cells have rectangular discharge curves that give little warning that they are nearly empty.

BTW, while your knowledge of battery technology appears to be above average, you are clearly missing some of the details--you might find http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ to be a good reference. (My background is that I am a PhD electrical engineer with a long interest in batteries.)

Doug

Last edited:
Whoa Doug, we’ve spun out of control into a discussion of tangents and lacunae that really have little direct VFTT relevance. We're both culpable, and I apologize to you and our fellow members herewith for my end of it.

I'll try for a 3rd time to lift my key hiking-relevant point up out of the noise in which I fear it’s been buried, because I believe it to be of substantial practical value to hikers. I'll pick up all the tangents in a subsequent post that I’ll implore “normal” folks [i.e., who realize that there are thousands of better ways to spend their time] to skip.

You said:

I said:
For the reasons noted by Gremlin, I swear by the Eveready Ultimate lithiums for my headlamps, pocket flashlight and SPOT (which I don't use continuously). I also like the fact that they weigh 2/3 as much as alkaline and non Li-ion rechargeables, which makes carrying prudent backup quantities even more of a no-brainer.

To get around the constraint noted above by Doug, as well as to minimize muss and fuss while trying to get from point A to point B in the dark, I carry a full backup headlamp with fresh batteries. When/if the batteries in the first headlamp die or the lamp fails for some other reason, I just stash it and whip out the backup. Then, later when in a more conducive time/place, I can replace the dead batteries so that what will now be my backup lamp is ready for service.

To elaborate, you can't benefit from your ‘one can always start with fully charged cells’ advantage unless you remember to take the trouble to charge and/or rejuvenate your rechargeable batteries back to “FULL” status after your prior trip. Obviously, you won't be heading out with fully charged batteries unless you do that. So while I just lay my headlamps to rest after returning from my trips, already all set to go for next time, you’re unloading your headlamp if you remember, loading the batteries into your charger, then coming back if you remember and unloading your charger and reloading the headlamp. All in the name of ‘lower running costs’.

More power ;) to you, but I’m delighted to be able to avoid that hassle—and anyway, even if I wanted the hassle, my memory and presence of mind are no longer reliable enough to be sure I’d actually get around to doing it each and every time. I’m OK with restocking my pack with replacement batteries after every roughly 10th trip, because I place my expended cells (when they occur) in a spot that reminds me to restock.

You’ve already accepted my point…
This works well for headlamps, but not so well for GPSes.

... and yes, I totally agree that rechargeable batteries make more sense for continuous GPS use than disposables, especially at today’s power consumption rates.

Alex

Last edited:
CAUTION: For the little bit of hiking-related content it offers, this post has a lot of words ... for something hiking-related I encourage you to skip to something else!

The discharge rate of a good quality low-discharge NiMH is low enough that you do not have to worry about topping it off if it has been charged within the last year or so. You are also ignoring the fact that primary batteries also self-discharge when not in use...

After telling me that I’m raising a concern that’s minor, why are you then raising an ‘also’ that’s an order of magnitude even *more* minor?

This is correct as far as you state it, but it is only a minor issue for NiMH if you use a good charger (and is easily erased with a rejuvenate cycle or two).

Well yeah, if you call largely discharging and recharging a battery a couple of times in order to avert or alleviate memory effect ‘minor’. Batteries come with a lifetime that’s expressed as a maximum number of charging cycles. Each such act by a ‘good’ charger exacts a “ding” against that lifetime. In contrast, Li-ion’s do not require this pyrrhic form of ‘rejuvenation’.

A great application for batteries like this is indeed in something like a power-hungry GPS, where deep discharges are encountered frequently in routine operational use. I’m also very intrigued with the Prius approach which has successfully fostered 7-year plus NiMH battery life by keeping the battery perpetually near the center of its charge/discharge cycle – but I digress—I can’t really think of a hiking analog to this application, given that hikers don’t (at least yet) carry supplemental generating capacity...

You can also view lithiums as having a very severe memory problem--you use them once and they have no capacity left no matter what you do...

Since we’re already discussing lithiums as a *disposable* alternative to restoring a NiMH battery to full charge, exactly how is that observation advancing the conversation?

(BTW, do not ever try to recharge a lithium primary cell.

Um, well of course ... when did I ever suggest that people should?

NiCd's have their uses, but are a poor choice for hiking.

I agree - did I inadvertently recommend them as a good choice somewhere?

Any rechargeable battery can be topped off.

Well yes, if per the memory effect discussion above you call periodically exacting a full discharge/charge cycle on your battery over and above actual operational use ‘topping it off’. Li-ions do not require this – they can simply be topped off.

Li-ion's must be used only in equipment and chargers designed to use them--they would be destroyed very quickly if directly substituted for NiMH, alkaline, or lithium cells (even taking the voltage difference into account). The different shapes and sizes protect against substitution.

Well of course you can only use them in devices that are designed for them. FYI, 3.7V Li-ion AA’s *do* exist, and it would indeed be imprudent (unless you’re a pyromaniac) to insert one into a device that’s hoping for a 1.5V battery. I’d like to see devices whose power supplies can take advantage of any input voltage that’s present within a range (ideally 2.5V-7.5V), much as AC adapters these days commonly can accommodate input voltages of 100V-250V.

There’s an analog to this in one of my favorite movies. Remember when Christopher Lloyd flits in from the future in the DeLorean, realizes he’s low on energy, finds a discarded beer can that’s half full with who-knows-what, pours it into the car’s Mr. Fusion, and is then good to go? If and when I ever decide to deal with a GPS, I'll want it to be able to make do with whatever AA’s I have on hand in a pinch or have decided to use due to situational cost advantages.

In fact, something remotely approaching this already exists today: BD offers a headlamp model, the ReVolt, that can differentiate disposable AAA batteries from proprietary rechargeable AAA batteries, in the former case refraining from attempting to recharge them. The differentiation method is crude, but with industry cooperation could certainly be improved upon – ideally via a battery standard that’s analogous to PnP on PC’s.

Also the low temperature performance of Li-ion is similar to that of NiMH. (Only primary lithium cells are significantly better.)

My first-hand experience is that NiMH’s in cell phones 10 years back tended to quit on me mid-conversation at around 20°F. Similarly, when I would try to fire up my cold laptop in the car (being careful to avoid condensation), it wasn’t interested in playing along until 20°F+. These days, Li-ion’s (camera and phone) don’t start annoying me badly until the mid single digits. Not as good as Li disposables I agree, but hey, I’ll take it! And who knows, maybe NiMH has improved on this score since those days.

BTW, Petzl and Princeton-Tec make Li-ion powered headlamps. (I prefer headlamps with readily-available standard-size (eg AA or AAA) field-replaceable batteries.)

Moi aussi. I’m currently almost finished with a full migration to AAA - my two Spot's (BD Spot and Spot Messenger) dragged me there - but I likely still will carry an AA flashlight as a group-wise “just-in-case”.

Yes, GPSes do beep to warn one that the batteries are getting low. However in practice one often doesn't hear them. Also NiMH and lithium cells have rectangular discharge curves that give little warning that they are nearly empty.

Sounds as though it’s time to lobby for better annunciators – Let alone you, the current state of the art can unleash noises that could wake the spirits from any old Indian burial ground that you may be trampling. And the mAH’s remaining at the tail of those rectangular discharge curves would be more than enough to get your adrenal gland pumping.

BTW, while your knowledge of battery technology appears to be above average…

Wow, thanks for the compliment! To receive my patch, do I need to attend the dinner?

... you are clearly missing some of the details--you might find http://www.batteryuniversity.com/ to be a good reference.

In today’s fast-paced technical environment, we’re all missing some of the details – the key is to be abreast of enough of them to make informed decisions where needed, and to know where to go for more if necessary. Always glad to get a recommendation for an additional quality reference for when I may need it.

(My background is that I am a PhD electrical engineer with a long interest in batteries.)

You may also have been able to detect that batteries have been on my brain for a while as well. VI here also. I notice from the alumni directory that there’s LL in your background, likely making us kindred spirits on yet another dimension.

Alex

Last edited:
This tangent has become non-productive and I have other things to do.

The OP asked about the use of a standard NiMH smart charger for low discharge NiMH cells. The answer is still yes...

Doug