Beginner winter hike suggestions.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Hello. I'm an experienced winter hiker but some friends I'm taking are new to it. I'm looking for some short but scenic hikes to take them on. We've done Welch Dickey which was easy but maybe too short. Chocora was about the limit of my friends abilities. We made it above treeline and got some views but turned back due to wind and cold so we didn't get to the summit. I think 8 miles is a good distance. I've never explored many of the smaller hikes in the Whites so this is a good excuse for me to finally check them out. What are your suggestions for a short hike?

There are two gems in the North Conway Area, South Moat and Kearsage North. Both have great views on top and some views along the way. Both are popular and usually broken out soon after a storm. They also are oriented well to take advantage of the low winter sun angles. Kearsage North has an enclosed fire tower on top with 360 degree views, on a sunny day the temperature in the tower and clack of wind makes for a pleasant place to eat lunch. South Moat doesn't have a fire tower but has 360 degree views and a bit more sun on the way up (but Kearsage North has some nice open areas below the summit cone). Kearsage north is just up the road from Moat Mtn brewery which is nice for post hike stop.

Mt Crawford on RT 302 is well graded, although there are a couple of unexpected turns in the trail up near the top that are easy to miss.

Mt Jackson and Mt Pierce both offer great views and well graded trails (although Jackson has one steep icy spot just below the summit).

Please note despite not being 4000 footers, the elevation gain is similar to many of the easier 4ks. Microspikes are needed along with the full complement of winter gear.

Cardigan has a wealth of trails of all abilities, gets you some above treeline views, and has enough others around which may make some feel more comfortable.

I also second the Pierce note...pretty easy route up due to it's usage, and great views at the end.

A few people have mentioned Pierce, maybe we'll try that. How's Hedgehog Mountain, on the UNH trail, in the winter? It sounds like a short easy hike but I hear it has ledges which could be an issue if it's icy?

A few people have mentioned Pierce, maybe we'll try that. How's Hedgehog Mountain, on the UNH trail, in the winter? It sounds like a short easy hike but I hear it has ledges which could be an issue if it's icy?
I did not list Pierce because you get above tree line (for a short stretch). The difference between above tree line and below can sometimes be astounding!

Jackson is above treeline-ish, too. Waumbek is a great winter hike - never steep, beautiful woods, very doable in snowshoes (there are a few stretches near the spring that are icy, but they are not steep, so any snowshoe with a decent crampon will be fine.)

Tim

I'll second CRdigan, especially from the Orange side; you get the big mountain feeling at low altitudend some serious wind exposure, but bailing out is always easy.

Smarts and Cube are fun too, ANC you can make some cool loops on either.

Moosilauke is another favorite, especially from Glencliff. The weather is often really rough on the ridge, but if you have to turn back you still won't feel you've wasted your time.
Have fun!

Its not long and not a 4k but Mt. Crawford via the Davis path is a great starter peak and the summit is awesome. I believe it comes in at 5.2 miles RT. If your still ambitious after that you can run over to Areathusa falls or Frankenstien cliffs.

There are two gems in the North Conway Area, South Moat and Kearsage North. Both have great views on top and some views along the way. Both are popular and usually broken out soon after a storm. They also are oriented well to take advantage of the low winter sun angles. Kearsage North has an enclosed fire tower on top with 360 degree views, on a sunny day the temperature in the tower and clack of wind makes for a pleasant place to eat lunch. South Moat doesn't have a fire tower but has 360 degree views and a bit more sun on the way up (but Kearsage North has some nice open areas below the summit cone). Kearsage north is just up the road from Moat Mtn brewery which is nice for post hike stop.

Mt Crawford on RT 302 is well graded, although there are a couple of unexpected turns in the trail up near the top that are easy to miss.

Mt Jackson and Mt Pierce both offer great views and well graded trails (although Jackson has one steep icy spot just below the summit).

Please note despite not being 4000 footers, the elevation gain is similar to many of the easier 4ks. Microspikes are needed along with the full complement of winter gear.

I'd second all of these. The Moats are a real gem right smack in the middle of the Conway area. Very scenic for the effort and the views start early so you don't have to wait until the summit.

Its not long and not a 4k but Mt. Crawford via the Davis path is a great starter peak and the summit is awesome. I believe it comes in at 5.2 miles RT. If your still ambitious after that you can run over to Areathusa falls or Frankenstien cliffs.

LOVE Crawford but I've always wondered in winter about that stretch of log bridges at beginning over what is a fairly deep river going through that area. Is it safely negotiated when the ice sets in? When I did this past summer it looked 3-5' deep and the log planks were not super sturdy.

Just a few to add:
1) Hedgehog - taking the UNH west branch gets you to the summit and avoids the ledges.
2) Potash, similar to Hedgehog in views and effort
3) Whitehorse Ledge - there's couple of ways to get there from the west side (e.g. from Diana's Baths)
4) From PVC, Old Jackson Road to Low's Bald Spot
5) Maybe more work than you're looking for, but Liberty is straightforward

There's lots of good ones that will get you just above the treeline for great views. Most will be in the 5-6 mile range though.

Kearsarge North
North Moat - (both routes to N. Moat by itself could be tricky if there's a lot of ice)
South Moat
Mt Parker (Bartlett)
A great loop in the Ossipee's Mt Shaw, Black Snout, & Big Ball
Jennings/Sandwich Dome

Try Cannon mt. Nice winter hike.

I think Cannon would be good as well, this is how I would do it. Lonesome lake trail to Kinsman ridge trail, up the back of Cannon, then down the Kinsman ridge trail to the Tramway parking lot. Walk the bike path back to lafeyette place. Don't have my guidebook with me now, but it comes in at around 8 miles .