Beginner winter hike suggestions.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avalon in Crawford Notch, and if feeling good, continue up to Field and come back via Willey Range Trail to AZ Trail and tag Tom on the way out....

I think Cannon would be good as well, this is how I would do it. Lonesome lake trail to Kinsman ridge trail, up the back of Cannon, then down the Kinsman ridge trail to the Tramway parking lot. Walk the bike path back to lafeyette place. Don't have my guidebook with me now, but it comes in at around 8 miles .

This was one of my first winter hikes. Have to agree.

"I think Cannon would be good as well, this is how I would do it. Lonesome lake trail to Kinsman ridge trail, up the back of Cannon, then down the Kinsman ridge trail to the Tramway parking lot. Walk the bike path back to lafeyette place. Don't have my guidebook with me now, but it comes in at around 8 miles . "

Much as I respect the prior posters, I cannot recommend Cannon from Lonesome lake in the winter unless the party absolutely knows that the Kinsman Ridge Trail from Coppermine Col to the top of the ridge is completely broken out with zero new snow on it. That section is quite steep and even with microspikes it can be tough to climb. If there is recent significant snow, it can be too steep to snowshoe. Having personally spent 2 hours trying to get up this short stretch one winter, I have great respect for it. Once its broken out and has sit overnight it is far easier. Hi Cannon can be even worse. Hi Cannon is a great early spring hike as it melts out fast but in the winter its a different story.

My thought with beginner is shoot for well graded trails with good turn around spots that still have great views.

IMO, Kinsman Ridge Tr from Coppermine Col to Cannon is a poor choice for beginners. It is steep and required "technical snowshoeing" when we did it. (This was in a group of 3-experienced hikers.) We also had to hook trees with our ice axes to pull our way up some spots. (Yet another use for ice axes...)

However, I do recommend Hi-Canon trail from Lonesome Lake to Cannon. It has one short wooden stair section, but it should be ok if there is at least one experienced person to break it out. The Hi-Canon route is protected all the way from the trailhead to the summit.

Doug

There's lots of good ones that will get you just above the treeline for great views. Most will be in the 5-6 mile range though.

Kearsarge North
North Moat - (both routes to N. Moat by itself could be tricky if there's a lot of ice)
South Moat
Mt Parker (Bartlett)
A great loop in the Ossipee's Mt Shaw, Black Snout, & Big Ball
Jennings/Sandwich Dome

Visited Mt. Parker in May and loved it. I was wondering if it would get broken out in the winder though. There was a ton of moose poop up there, so that area much be a popular bedding spot. It's a very worthwhile 52WAV peak.

IMO, Kinsman Ridge Tr from Coppermine Col to Cannon is a poor choice for beginners. It is steep and required "technical snowshoeing" when we did it. (This was in a group of 3-experienced hikers.) We also had to hook trees with our ice axes to pull our way up some spots. (Yet another use for ice axes...)

However, I do recommend Hi-Canon trail from Lonesome Lake to Cannon. It has one short wooden stair section, but it should be ok if there is at least one experienced person to break it out. The Hi-Canon route is protected all the way from the trailhead to the summit.

Doug

I am person who likes to err on the side of caution. Therefore I completely agree that that that the Canon Balls and Coppermine area is rugged at best. I can't say that I would consider the ascent from Lafayette Place up from the Hi-Canon a "beginner route" either. There are a few sections that are tricky beside the ladder that could make a beginner quite uncomfortable, IMHO.

Z :D

I am person who likes to err on the side of caution. Therefore I completely agree that that that the Canon Balls and Coppermine area is rugged at best. I can't say that I would consider the ascent from Lafayette Place up from the Hi-Canon a "beginner route" either. There are a few sections that are tricky beside the ladder that could make a beginner quite uncomfortable, IMHO.
Yeah there is a spot or two above the ladder (an exposed walk over the top of a boulder) which might be scarey, but I've never seen it to be difficult. If it was iced and someone didn't have traction it might be a no go.

Doug

"I think Cannon would be good as well, this is how I would do it. Lonesome lake trail to Kinsman ridge trail, up the back of Cannon, then down the Kinsman ridge trail to the Tramway parking lot. Walk the bike path back to lafeyette place. Don't have my guidebook with me now, but it comes in at around 8 miles . "

Much as I respect the prior posters, I cannot recommend Cannon from Lonesome lake in the winter unless the party absolutely knows that the Kinsman Ridge Trail from Coppermine Col to the top of the ridge is completely broken out with zero new snow on it. That section is quite steep and even with microspikes it can be tough to climb. If there is recent significant snow, it can be too steep to snowshoe. Having personally spent 2 hours trying to get up this short stretch one winter, I have great respect for it. Once its broken out and has sit overnight it is far easier. Hi Cannon can be even worse. Hi Cannon is a great early spring hike as it melts out fast but in the winter its a different story.

My thought with beginner is shoot for well graded trails with good turn around spots that still have great views.

what Peakbagger said

Thought I'd chime in on the Cannon suggestion...

I've never done Cannon from Lonesome Lake, but I've done Northeast Cannonball from there, and it is very steep and rugged. The section of the KRT from Coppermine Col to NECB is only 0.2 mile long, but in winter- especially if the trail is not well broken out (or not broken out at all)- it can feel a lot longer than that.

Where Cannon comes in: I caught a glimpse of it and the ridge from the KRT on the way to NECB, and it looked steep. I wouldn't imagine it would be well-traveled, either, considering most Cannon reports I read mention Hi-Cannon as the route.

That said, I have some recommendations for you, based on some of my first winter hikes:

Stinson Mountain. Maybe a bit too short for you, but there are good views from the top for a modest effort. Plus, if your buddies get tired, you can try hitching a ride from a a snowmobiler, since there's a snowmobile trail to the top ;) . 3.6 mi, 1400 ft. gain.
Madison Spring Hut. Not a hike to a summit, but the Madison Hut (closed for the season) is just barely above treeline, with wooded shelter a short distance away. Plus, it sits between Mounts Adams and Madison and provides some relief from the worst of any wild weather. 7.6 mi, 3600 ft. gain.

I think Cannon would be good as well, this is how I would do it. Lonesome lake trail to Kinsman ridge trail, up the back of Cannon, then down the Kinsman ridge trail to the Tramway parking lot. Walk the bike path back to lafeyette place. Don't have my guidebook with me now, but it comes in at around 8 miles .

I remember the back of cannon being steep with huge boulders to climb over? Is it better with snow?

Edit:
I should have read the rest of the new posts. Cannon doesn't sound like a good option for a bunch of new winter hikers. I'm going to plan a trip up Mt. Pierce next weekend. That sounds like an easy hike, especially if everyone doesn't have the best equipment like microspikes. Depending on how that goes I'll use everyone's suggestions for the next hike too.

Last edited:
I remember the back of cannon being steep with huge boulders to climb over? Is it better with snow?

Edit:
I should have read the rest of the new posts. Cannon doesn't sound like a good option for a bunch of new winter hikers. I'm going to plan a trip up Mt. Pierce next weekend. That sounds like an easy hike, especially if everyone doesn't have the best equipment like microspikes. Depending on how that goes I'll use everyone's suggestions for the next hike too.

In hindsight, I think my suggestion might be a little stiff for beginner's ( Cannon via Lonesome lake). The Hi-Cannon trail would be better, although becarefull at the ladder. When I last did Hi-Cannon the ladders rungs were ice covered, there was minimal snow and the exit ledge getting off the ladder was solid ice. I had my dog with me and actually turned around at that point. Cannon via the KRT from the tramway is another good choice, it is steep and traction would be needed, but above the woods its just a beautifull route, with an awesome ledge looking south over FN.

... but above the woods its just a beautifull route, with an awesome ledge looking south over FN.

Awesome is about right :)

1462641_10205228073924379_8839967234026312363_o.jpg

Tim

re Hi-Cannon

re Hi-Cannon - going up from Lafayette the sign is still missing, a temp AMC sign is at the junction, but doesn't mention Hi-Cannon.
For a first winter shakedown hike, a summit isn't necessary. A trip up to Lonesome Lake Hut might be a good idea.

I'd suggest planning around the ability/interest/preparation of your group, especially the slowest or least experienced, rather than your own. Use your experience for teaching and helping to make it a successful outing ... that's the best way to keep them coming back.

Another possibility is Morgan-Percival loop (about 5 mi) and, with a car spot at the end of the Doublehead Trail it could instead become a 9.4 mi hike. Percival could be the decision point here. There is little exposure that would be dangerous to beginners but good views of the lakes to the south and inviting views of the mountains to the north.

Moosilauke via Glencliff Trail is 8.2 mi out and back but, depending on conditions ... the elements and the hikers ... that could be shortened as necessary. It offers enough drama and views to get adreniline going if the group is ready for it. We made a loop out of it which included Hurricane Tr. This was late fall a few years ago and we were able to bareboot the whole way as snowline was about 3500' and it was wet and soft enough to deal with easily.

Cannon Mt. via the "Hi Cannon trail" was my 1st Winter hike, and I was hooked on Winter hiking after that. I would suggest checking the "Mt. Weather Forecast" for a week or so before your planned hike and if it looks good, (low wind speed & pretty good temps), then GO. Up until then , I was worried about Winter hiking. Now I feel it is my favorite time to go. (if conditions are not what you expect, turn around & go back.):eek:

Cannon Mt. via the "Hi Cannon trail" was my 1st Winter hike, and I was hooked on Winter hiking after that. I would suggest checking the "Mt. Weather Forecast" for a week or so before your planned hike and if it looks good, (low wind speed & pretty good temps), then GO. Up until then , I was worried about Winter hiking. Now I feel it is my favorite time to go. (if conditions are not what you expect, turn around & go back.):eek:

You highlight what is probably the most important aspect, the weather. In good weather I don't think any of the suggestions are too much for beginners, but throw in some harsh winter conditions, and probably the majority of suggestions would be rough for newbies.

Depends on what your friends are more comfortable, distance or terrain. Some beginners may be happy with high mileage but low elevation gain and low tolerance for steep sections like on Cannon. Others may like the steep stuff and using traction and such but don't want a 10 mile day.

I love Pierce, brought my son, 8 or 9 for his first winter trip. It's in the trees and well traveled. You're only exposed the last couple 100 yards.
Kearsarge North is very nice, have done that the last two winters
Jackson is good but early winter the top ledges can be tricky, later in the season, the snow fills it in better.
Willard - it's short but a great view
Martha, with some snow on the top, you should be able to see the Presi's, and it has an open view the other way
Waumbek - pretty mellow, not a big wow factor up top.
Tecumseh, see Waumbek comments although a good view from the ski slope and more open than it used to be
Liberty was my first winter White's trip but had done Monadnock, Greylock and some others
Morgan Percival should be nice, I've not done it in winter
In good Weather, Moriah would be stellar, great open ledges from Stony Brook

I did not list Pierce because you get above tree line (for a short stretch). The difference between above tree line and below can sometimes be astounding!

This is EXACTLY the reason to do Pierce for this sort of thing. If the weather's nice, you have excellent views on top. If the weather's hazardous, you're protected right until the end, where newbies can stick their noses out and learn an extremely important lesson without said noses (or anything else) freezing and falling off before they scamper back into the trees. :eek: ;)

This is EXACTLY the reason to do Pierce for this sort of thing. If the weather's nice, you have excellent views on top. If the weather's hazardous, you're protected right until the end, where newbies can stick their noses out and learn an extremely important lesson without said noses (or anything else) freezing and falling off before they scamper back into the trees. :eek: ;)
Agreed.

Doug