Snow Totals Thus Far?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

By morning we should have some interesting and diverse snow totals from this sustained "Nor' Easter".

NOAA's NERFC provides a good general outlook but these folks are often unable to give accurate data on the higher summits.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

Please take a moment to respond to the new snow depths at higher elevations so that we may all finally wear our snowshoes rather than just carry them for a free ride ;).

Thanks,

Z :D

I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming weekend. Hoping for glorious snow.

Here in Littleton, NH at 9:37pm we have received a total of approximately 2 inches of snow. The storm seem to have split us today as we have received no rain and snow didn't start until 5:00pm and it is currently not snowing. I took a little stroll in the Basin today with my daughter so she could wear her snowshoes for the first time and the ground was completely covered. Temperatures were 10 degrees warmer in the Notch than in Franconia.

In Keene in the Adirondacks at 1800' looks like about 14" and still snowing. Just came in from the first round of shoveling...fairly packable powder.

At 1400 feet near the Gorham /Randolph NH town line, I have 10 to 12 inches of extremely dense snow. It is in no way shape or form powder. I don't think a standard plow would touch it. I ran my snowblower for 2.5 hours to cut a path for my car to get out to the street . This stuff packs solid if you look at it. I definitely would consider this a great base. Its already firm right now, but its also perfect for crampon and snowshoe balling. Give it day or two to set up and add some fresh stuff and it will be winter conditions.

Hopefully the parking lots get opened up as anyone attempting to drive through a banking will take out a front bumper and then will sink in solid.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think that I will be coming down with a fever on Friday (cabin, of course). ;)

Hopefully a quick snowshoe ascent of Canon or Jackson will provide much needed relief.

Any more snow totals for higher elevations out there?

Thanks,

Pittsfield, MA, in the berkshires only got about 4" total. I think a lot of the early snowfall just melted because we got pretty much all rain tuesday.

Jay

Thanks again to all those who posted (not post-holed, that's a different thread altogether ;))

I will be sneaking up to Crawford Notch later this morning and will have a trail conditions report tonight for Jackson.

I'm guessing that snowshoes will be in order and that the trail may require some TLC in the form of packing. Hopefully the ruts and mini postholes of the other trails in the Whites will benefit from more snow.

Be well,

Highland Center in Crawford notch is reporting 4.5" of new snow. I'm not sure how this relates to Zealand Hut's 0" of new snow. I'm thinking the Zealand croo member is mailing it in ;-)