Hiking the 4000-Footers of NH in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
In the spirit of helping everyone (especially beginners) safely enjoy the 4000-footers in winter, I've developed a new page on my website that answers many of the common questions that people ask

If anyone has any feedback or criticism, let's hear it. Also, let me know if there are any other topics you think I should try to cover.

Hiking the 4000-Footers of NH in winter

Cheers,

- Greg (roadtripper)

Peaks don't "count" if you ski?

I've never cared about lists, but I'm fairly certain that is incorrect.

Overall it looks like something that can help guide new hikers to the right places!

Last edited:
Agree with cushtunk. Skiing under your own power up and/or down will count. Obviously no lifts allowed where available.

Lots of fantastic info here!

Re: skiing the peaks

From the AMC 4000 Footer Commitee website: Q. What are the rules for climbing the peaks? A. The basic rule is very simple--you must climb (on foot!) to and from the summit of each peak on the list. In winter, skis and snowshoes are both allowed. (The Committee takes no official position on the use of sleds or "swiss bobs.")

Last edited:
providing you don't ride a lift, tow cable, gondola, etc, snowshoeing up and skiing down is fine. Butt sliding is a form of glissading. Initially people started bringing things uphill to not just go faster but to keep from ripping a hole in expensive Gore-Tex pants if you caught a stick, root or rock. Is sledding or Swiss-bobbing much different than skiing? It is easier to carry a Swiss-Bob through the trees than skis or a sled.

I enjoy sledding down the trails in winter. It`s part of the reason that I like winter hiking. I look forward to it.:)

To all sledders...those things don't have breaks, so please keep that in mind when you come flying down the trail. I'm slow, my head is most likely down, and will have very limited ability to get out of your way.

I've been taken out a few times, and it frankly sucks.

Just wanted to note that Zipfy's are only really appropriate for backcountry ski trails, closed mountain roads, etc. Not really appropriate for 4k trails where people are using swiss-bobs and sleds like that.

To all sledders...those things don't have breaks, so please keep that in mind when you come flying down the trail. I'm slow, my head is most likely down, and will have very limited ability to get out of your way.

I've been taken out a few times, and it frankly sucks.
This has always been my concern with folks on sleds. I ski a lot of trails that are shared with hikers and you always need to be in control of your speed when you come around a corner or over a rise. I hope sledders take care - I've seen my share of out of control sledders but have managed to avoid getting run over so far.

I use a "SLIDY SLED", that i bought at EMS. I think it cost around $10. I Try to wear my flourescent orange "hoodie" when I`m using my sled , so anyone coming up can see me ahead of time. I will also vocalize if I see someone in front of me.

Not to mention those of us who hike with dogs. My dog is always on a 26ft leash, he is a herding dog and is also very protective. A sled coming at him out of nowhere, well, lets just say, that would be intersting.

I found that it`s quite easy to slow my speed by using my elbows, and or feet:)

Have you considered using an Ice axe? I know when I glissade using an ice axe to brake is very effective, not to mention if you do get " out of control" you can self arrest. Granted I am not a sledder, but in icey conditions a tool might give you more security, then your hands or feet.

Lots of fantastic info here!

Re: skiing the peaks

From the AMC 4000 Footer Commitee website: Q. What are the rules for climbing the peaks? A. The basic rule is very simple--you must climb (on foot!) to and from the summit of each peak on the list. In winter, skis and snowshoes are both allowed. (The Committee takes no official position on the use of sleds or "swiss bobs.")

My emphasis.

Just a point of technicality here.

A literal reading of this rule suggests that a peak would not count toward the NH48 (all season) if one were to snowshoe or ski in non-winter seasons.

Example: this past Sunday (12/14), a fall day, I climbed Mount Adams and used snowshoes for 90% of the day. It may have looked like winter, but technically it was not. It obviously wouldn't count for the winter list (W48) but the way it is written, it sounds like it wouldn't count for the all season either because snow shoes and skis are only allowed in winter.

:eek:

Perhaps that should be updated for those of us that read things very literally. Maybe "skis and snowshoes are allowed in winter and as needed."

Perhaps that should be updated for those of us that read things very literally. Maybe "skis and snowshoes are allowed in winter and as needed."
Or just "Skis and snowshoes are allowed". If you want to skin up and slide down in July, go for it! :D

While I see your point about the technicality, no where does it say they aren't allowed the rest of the year when you actually get down to it. And unless something is specifically listed at "not allowed" to me that means it is.

While I see your point about the technicality, no where does it say they aren't allowed the rest of the year when you actually get down to it. And unless something is specifically listed at "not allowed" to me that means it is.

Using the rules of logical reasoning, you are correct. No where does it prohibit skis and snowshoes outside of winter. But the way the rule is written, the implication is clearly there. I was making light of it anyway. We all know they are "allowed" outside calendar winter, but I thought the wording was interesting.