Winter ball cap ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Any suggestions for where to find a ball cap with a nylon or supplex shell for wind, light precip, fleece inside, fleece ear flaps? Complete dork look, but I've been poking around and haven't found anything that fits the bill ( sorry, couldn't resist) ?

I have one by Outdoor Research, G-Tex shell and light fleece lining with flaps (and velcro). I bought it at MEC, but you can probably Google and find one. Good luck.

Pretty sure you're referring to the much loved and equally lamented OR B-17 Bomber Cap, which I had the good sense to buy fourteen years ago. This is easily one of the most versatile and reliably comfortable hats I've ever worn. The decision to stop producing it ranks with the introduction of New Coke for inexplicable stupidness.

OR has a number of other hats that will be worth looking at for the stated purpose. But if you ever find one of these, grab it and hold onto it with both hands.

Pretty sure you're referring to the much loved and equally lamented OR B-17 Bomber Cap, which I had the good sense to buy fourteen years ago. This is easily one of the most versatile and reliably comfortable hats I've ever worn. The decision to stop producing it ranks with the introduction of New Coke for inexplicable stupidness.

OR has a number of other hats that will be worth looking at for the stated purpose. But if you ever find one of these, grab it and hold onto it with both hands.
I agree. This use to mate up with the Gorilla Calava system.

"Reminds me of the adage, 'If you find something you like buy two, because the bastids will stop making it'.

Used to do this with running shoes, except I'd buy 3-4 pairs of ones I liked. EMS has a lightweight model of hiking boot I loved. Heard they stopped making them so showed up at my favorite EMS and the clerk checked online and found the four remaining ones in my size all around the country. Bought them all right there and he arranged to have each store ship them directly to my home. I'm on my last one and it's beyond being on its last legs. Just found the last, unopened one in the closet 3 days ago. Completely forgot about it.

I was in Bob's store in Bedford the other day and they had a ball cap that was fleece lined and had flaps that came down like a bomber hat. It was made by Carhart, I couldnt get a read on the coating they use on the cap itself, it had a coating of some kind, but I cannot attest to how much moisture it would resist. On a positive note, I put it on and found a mirror and I looked like a total Dork.;)

I was in Bob's store in Bedford the other day and they had a ball cap that was fleece lined and had flaps that came down like a bomber hat. It was made by Carhart, I couldnt get a read on the coating they use on the cap itself, it had a coating of some kind, but I cannot attest to how much moisture it would resist. On a positive note, I put it on and found a mirror and I looked like a total Dork.;)
LOL...I know the one I have makes me look like I am out hunting "Wabbit" instead of climbing mountains.

If anybody can find me a replacement for this hat I will be a happy, happy person.

I used to call it "the stupid hat" based on appearance. I lost it (I think) after a hike up Mt Martha about 3 years ago In fact, I think this pic was the hike I lost it on, about 2 weeks after the dog photo). The ear-flaps folded up over the top. Inside fleece-lined, I think the outside was gore-tex or something similar, and an insulating layer. None of this faux-fur baloney. Very compact, but warm and dry.

If anybody can find me a replacement for this hat I will be a happy, happy person.

I used to call it "the stupid hat" based on appearance.

I have a similar hat from REI that I call my "geek hat." I wear it mostly when I'm skiing, and never in the company of my spouse in public. In response to this thread, I tried earlier to find a purveyor but no luck so far.