Sledding on Trails - Is it Reckless?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say so. What tool exactly are you using? Swissbob? 'Spoon'? Tire Tube like sled?

I personally only partake in the occasional butt slide as I prefer to stay on my feet. It seems to me that using a plastic sled to descend the Ammo Tr or Mt Osceola Tr from E Pk with trees inches away could be considered an extra risk. You have much less friction with a piece of plastic under you butt, making you capable of faster speeds, and possibly going out of control sooner than if you were just sitting on your pants. I get that it is similar in a sense to using skis, but I feel much more in control while skiing than sledding.

I figured that with the Hike Safe card coming out in a couple weeks that this would give us all something to think about.

If you are sledding, glissading or skiing and hit a tree or boulder or go over a cliff no matter where it occurred you were being reckless. If you do the same action and do not have an accident or run in with another individual then you were not being reckless. Like the speed limit in Montana "safe and prudent". No problem unless you endo and then it is all on you.

Yes...Reckless. To yourself and others HIKING on the trail. Use some common sense.