Post Holes vs. Snowshoe Tracks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
289 is still up and the opening story has both an example of the rant, and regional relevance.

Either Thunderbear needs some help reading a map, or it's time to load the (white) potato guns and reclaim for Maine that part of the WMNF that has been stolen:

"Unlike the West, there are no national forests in Maine."

Well, actually ...

WMNF boundaries

'Der Krieg ist forlorn.' I could ask, but don't want to offend some friends (I asked before, but have forgotten the answer). What is the title of the film and is there an English translation, or subtitles? I can follow most of it in German, but not all.

Pretty funny.

Looks like this got started early this year, so in case there is anyone new, and a crux of the argument is to leave the trail in good shape for others, one of those "others" could be me. So, please, don't stop just at snowshoes. I find it best for me if the following is cared for by those breaking trail:

-Initial pass should be done by someone wearing some big ole' wooden, ones, nothing hyper small as those are about the size of a 13 boot anyway.
-Second person through should NOT be walking in the same tracks. They should be alternating their stride, so to avoid big holes broken out with not-broken trail in the middle.
-Third person through should NOT be walking in those same tracks. They should be alternating their stride with each other foot landing on the side of the original path, this will help to widen the trail so I can get my tips turned later. (By staying in the same path, a standing-luge run is created and it becomes very dangerous.)
-Fourth person should be going through and filling in anywhere a track was missed. This will enable a smoother path that should be about 3-4 tracks wide.
-Subsequent passes, if the trailwidth permits, should be done in the same manner to make the path as wide as possible. The added benefit is to allow for passing lanes. If the trail is not wide enough, then beating the path down is permissible.

Also:
-First person through is recommended to be over 6'4" (I originally requested a smaller height, but as has been pointed out, that was selfish of me since I am only 6', and this is about others, not just me). This will enable those following to not get snow down their back. I hate that.
-Approximately every 50-100 strides (depending on steepness and snowdepths), a flat platform should be marked off the side of the trail. Essentially a rest stop, this will enable a rest of the calves, drink break, etc. Larger areas should be stamped out every 1/2 mile for group breaks.
-On the steeps, a switch to an alternating kick-step is permissible. This should be done with the an average gate of an American citizen is approximately 5'7". By following this rule, the steep sections will become a nice staircase, and quite easy to go up. Rest areas should still be carved out.

It doesn't matter how ridiculous you look walking down a trail that is as compact and easy to walk on as a sidewalk. These are vital for the survival of the species as we know it.

I kid, mostly. I don't posthole and don't like a pocketed trail either (excepting one nightmarish Easter hike in the Killkenny many years ago that I was surely going to kill me). I just think if we are making demands, I want a seat at the table, too. Sadly, I have actually thought of this request on virtually every hike I've been on as I mindlessly trudge along. And, seriously, I do try to do this if I happen to be fresh, or relatively fresh snow.

I apologize if I ruffled some feathers. I'm not sure how this thread went south so quickly. I assure you whatever elitist assumptions you are making are false. The intent of the posts were mostly to amuse.

Z

I apologize if I ruffled some feathers. I'm not sure how this thread went south so quickly. I assure you whatever elitist assumptions you are making are false. The intent of the posts were mostly to amuse.

Z

You can rest easy. Go back and reread, and you'll see that everybody here appreciated what you posted and has only added material to increase the mirth quotient, nothing else.

No apologies necessary. All in good fun.

No apologies necessary. All in good fun.

Thanks for that, guys.

BTW: I have no issue with bare-booters. I simply prefer not to step in frozen postholes.

I am glad that this thread is still on a whimsical note.

Be well,

Z :D

BTW: I have no issue with bare-booters. I simply prefer not to step in frozen postholes.
I don't think any of us hate these individuals. But we might want the newcomer to realize that postholing can be a serious problem, (maybe days later), or feel sorry for them when they realize that 4" of snow at the trailhead can turn into 24" a few miles in.

I just did a hike with a group of individuals that ranged from beginner to seasoned veterans (not myself). We convinced everyone to wear snowshoes, but I could see there was some undercurrent of discontent. When one man's snowshoe broke and he had to bare boot, he started falling into the snow at irregular intervals (THE WORST!) and quickly became exhausted tying to maintain the (slow) pace we had been doing. I think this convinced the rest of the group about the efficacy of snowshoes. But it did not convince the people who we passed clad in crampons! :eek: These people were doing worse than just postholing, they were tearing up the somewhat packed trail while they went! :mad: There was no ice in sight the whole day...

Not to change to the tone from fun to serious, but a thought that occurs to most of us is that if the trail is well-packed and mindfully preserved than we don't need to wear snowshoes. :)

I enjoy snowshoeing, but I really love the speed and efficiency of wearing microspikes over a firm base. Obviously this viewpoint is shared by a lot of people. So I guess the reason why I do some of the ridiculous things Dug mentioned in his post is that I hope to leave the trail in a state where others can bare-boot or where spikes and not damage the footing.

There is fanaticism on both sides of this argument, which lends itself so well to the 3rd Reich spoof.

Be well,

Not to change to the tone from fun to serious, but a thought that occurs to most of us is that if the trail is well-packed and mindfully preserved than we don't need to wear snowshoes. :)
Hmmmmmm.

A super hard packed trail is great, but it is a rarity in my experience. 2 things can happen. The first, you 'accidentally' posthole once in a while in softer areas. And the second, the well packed trail at the trailhead may not be so well packed above treeline.

I enjoy snowshoeing, but I really love the speed and efficiency of wearing microspikes over a firm base.
Me too! :)

Obviously this viewpoint is shared by a lot of people.
Hmmmmmm. :D

I will grant you the viewpoint is shared by many people, but I have found that a lot of these people do not understand the need or benefit of snowshoes.

I'm not sure if I've ever said this before, (maybe), but to return to the lighthearted nature of this thread, 'Great spirit, grant that I might not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his snowshoes (or micro spikes)!' :D

A rarity? Yes, absolutely! That's what makes it such a treat when you find a perfect "snow sidewalk". IQuest and I hiked Owl's Head just days before the official end of winter a few years ago. It was a spectacular day with perfect temps for great solid footing. We made excellent time.

The few times that the Jewel trail or Ammo were in a similar state is what I wish for this Christmas ;)

I hope you all enjoy some great outings this holiday season. May your trails be to your liking and the weather to your favor.

Ho Ho Ho

...I enjoy snowshoeing, but I really love the speed and efficiency of wearing microspikes over a firm base. Obviously this viewpoint is shared by a lot of people...

Actually, I'm rarely fortunate enough to find a trail track that's packed enough for me to feel efficient ascending with MicroSpikes. Most of the time, to quote the old TreadClimber ad, "It's like walking on sand!". I can literally feel all the wasted calories hemorrhaging from my legs -- whereas the Evo's offer me a firm, solid landing on each step, with zero 'give'. When there's a snow bed on the trail and post holing is not a risk, my usual modus operandi is to snowshoe up and bareboot/ski down. My spikes find most of their use during road walks and shoulder season ice.