Should I Hike Solo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about where you live now, but if you get an early start on a weekend hike around here, you are never truly hiking solo.

I'd say it's mostly safe, as long as people know where you are, and you stick with a plan.

Not sure about where you live now, but if you get an early start on a weekend hike around here, you are never truly hiking solo.

I'd say it's mostly safe, as long as people know where you are, and you stick with a plan.

That's certainly true when hiking the "48". That's what I always told my wife when she complained about me going out alone. But, when I did the NEHH, I spent a summer doing the "whacks" up in northern Maine without seeing anybody. Down here, even out of peak through hiking season, you will almost always encounter someone on the AT. However, Lauky and I hiked the Benton Mackaye trail, 200 miles from Springer to the Smokies and we saw only four people the entire time. I always leave a detailed plan of our hiking route with my wife.

As for the Maine "whacks" I often thought that the biggest adventure was not the hike itself but rather getting to the starting point with my old Chevy Lumina.

Should I hike solo. The subject has often been discussed on this web-site. This article in Backpacker adds some interesting food for thought. http://www.backpacker.com/destinations-stories/solo-hiking/

That was a good read. Thanks for posting.

Predictably so, I'm in line with Ed Abbey's take on the situation (as envisioned by the authors anyway).

I like the author's take. Should I hike solo? Only one person is qualified to answer that question. And sometimes it may be the wrong answer, but there are things you cannot experience without leaving a certain safety net behind. As has been said many different ways, if you are not willing to go out on a limb once in a while you'll never reach the fruit.

That was a good read. Thanks for posting.

Predictably so, I'm in line with Ed Abbey's take on the situation (as envisioned by the authors anyway).

I like the author's take. Should I hike solo? Only one person is qualified to answer that question. And sometimes it may be the wrong answer, but there are things you cannot experience without leaving a certain safety net behind. As has been said many different ways, if you are not willing to go out on a limb once in a while you'll never reach the fruit.

Well put, Scott.

As usual our views line up pretty closely. I can't say that I share all of the same attitudes and perspectives of the author, but the meditative experience of solo hiking is not something I will ever give up.

Risk vs. reward is something that we all juggle as hikers (especially in winter conditions). My comfort and risk levels have changed since becoming a father. It is the persistent voice of reason and the image of my son in my mind that are now the determining factors for what chances I am willing to take.

That being said, there is a level of risk when you leave your house and drive to work.

Recently I accepted a ride from, more or less, total strangers because I wanted to add another peak to the day's total. I could have been hurt or killed by the actions of another behind the wheel, but I went with my gut and it turned out fine. That in a lot of ways is riskier than crossing an ice field with crampons on. At least in the second scenario I am still the one in relative control.

Good thread, Ed. :)

Z

Last edited:
I've been a soloist for years, to me its pure, its just me and the mountains I'm climbing. I find the depth of thought and the focus on the art at hand is one without distractions. The further out I am both in actual distance and difficultly, the more I emmerse myself mentally and physically. While I appreciate the safety concerns of parents and spouses, I share in none of these as a single person. I never leave plans with anyone, I relish in the fact that I'm on my own, this level of commitment ensures I practice my craft to the best of my abilty at all times. My most memorable climb to date was an accident I had out west. Sitting there injured, assessing my situation, left me in a state of true appreciation of the wilderness I was in. The stakes of that day, allowed me to extract myself in a systematic way, using many of the skills I've never had to tap into. After reaching the road, I wondered at what could have been and realized either outcome was worth it. We all climb for different reasons, we all have our limitations, me, I'm all in, I want it all, the wonder, the unknown, and the chance to put it all out there, any chance I get.

Couldn't agree more with the comment about focus. That's the essence of hiking solo right there. When I hike with my friend, I'm usually listening to his stories as the miles slip away, so he's good company on long hikes. But I've actually missed trail junctions while conversing. When I hike with my wife, I'm always looking out for her, pointing out hazards, and conscious of accommodating her slower pace. I almost never hike in a group and can't recall being in a group larger than 3. Others have pointed out the immense satisfaction of being self reliant when going solo. There's no one else to consult or consider when making decisions like what route to take, how fast to go, when to take a break, whether to go beyond the original goal, etc. It's very peaceful being alone deep in the woods, a meditation in motion.

I'm almost always solo. I thoroughly enjoy the solitude and the self reliant aspect required, especially in winter. When someone is with me I'm always slowing down, or speeding up, and just loose the focus mentioned. I tend to be slower on the up and I fly on the return. I almost always go early and mid-week to the Whites and often see very few people. Even some of the most popular trails in the Catskills are void of people until later on in the day. It's almost spiritual.....well, it is! Not the same when your with someone or a group. Nothing like getting lost in your own mind!

Well put, Scott.

As usual our views line up pretty closely. I can't say that I share all of the same attitudes and perspectives of the author, but the meditative experience of solo hiking is not something I will ever give up.

Risk vs. reward is something that we all juggle as hikers (especially in winter conditions).

Z

Agreed, and to be clear about my attitude, I would likely not find myself in the same position as the author since, although I love solo hiking, I also like solo living, and generally I avoid jumping between ice floes on half frozen lakes. I'll cross Lonesome Lake or the lake at Carter Notch in winter when it's solid. I do a lot of solo winter hiking, but to be clear, not a lot of big risk taking. I'm not out there riding avalanches or wringing out soaking wet clothes in 20 degree weather.

Agreed, and to be clear about my attitude, I would likely not find myself in the same position as the author since, although I love solo hiking, I also like solo living, and generally I avoid jumping between ice floes on half frozen lakes. I'll cross Lonesome Lake or the lake at Carter Notch in winter when it's solid. I do a lot of solo winter hiking, but to be clear, not a lot of big risk taking. I'm not out there riding avalanches or wringing out soaking wet clothes in 20 degree weather.

Your post made me laugh and thinking about a day I had in CO. I was descending Qaundry peak (a 14er) after a winter ascent and was coming off the ridge when the slope "let go". I rode the slide for about 75 yrds and ended up sitting on top of the debris slope. I stood up cleaned the snow out of my ears and felt like a cat that fell off a 4 story porch and had landed on his feet:eek:. As my Dad used to say," Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good".;)

I compromised a few years ago and bought a PLB. Its not a substitute for common sense but given my AT corridor boundary work and occasional bushwhacking its a backup that I hope I never use.

I compromised a few years ago and bought a PLB. Its not a substitute for common sense but given my AT corridor boundary work and occasional bushwhacking its a backup that I hope I never use.

My Dad purchased & insisted I carry a PLB on my thruhike. I stopped carrying it when I returned home but while on some more remote solo winter hikes I thought "wouldn't I feel stupid if I were to be injured out here, knowing I have a plb sitting in my desk drawer at home."

The fact is it equally (perhaps more) likely you might help rescue another hiker with it

Your post made me laugh and thinking about a day I had in CO. I was descending Qaundry peak (a 14er) after a winter ascent and was coming off the ridge when the slope "let go". I rode the slide for about 75 yrds and ended up sitting on top of the debris slope. I stood up cleaned the snow out of my ears and felt like a cat that fell off a 4 story porch and had landed on his feet:eek:. As my Dad used to say," Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good".;)

I'll bet that was a big grin on your face.

2 months ago, my feet went airborne on a wet rock when I was moving pretty quickly along a C-M traverse. I got my arm chicken winged across my ribs on instinct luckily but then impacted a large, but smooth boulder with my upper body hitting first with that arm over my rib cage. On laying for a few seconds, I realized I was definitely more lucky than good that day. Bruised ribs heal.

I'll bet that was a big grin on your face.

2 months ago, my feet went airborne on a wet rock when I was moving pretty quickly along a C-M traverse. I got my arm chicken winged across my ribs on instinct luckily but then impacted a large, but smooth boulder with my upper body hitting first with that arm over my rib cage. On laying for a few seconds, I realized I was definitely more lucky than good that day. Bruised ribs heal.

I smiled, as these posts bring to mind the scene in Jaws where Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw are throwing their bare legs up on the galley table to one-up each other's shark-fight scars from days past.

I'll admit to having way too many such anecdotes myself, but it's sobering to remember that the stories told most are those coming from the people who had luck and/or discipline on their side and hence are around to tell them. Both luck and presence-of-mind can run out. :-/

Alex

I haven't been on VFTT in eons -- nor done much hiking in the years since moving to Georgia...in part because I've not felt comfortable hiking solo here. The terrain isn't as rugged and so I've worried that invites more crazies to prey upon a solo female hiker. I may be completely wrong about that.
I love solo hiking and it's perhaps what I most miss of my days in New England.
I'll be going on my first backpacking trip in about 7 years over the New Years holiday, but will be with friends. Can't wait to see the North Georgia trails!

Last edited:
I haven't been on VFTT in eons -- nor much hiking in years since moving to Georgia...in part because I've not felt comfortable hiking solo here. The terrain isn't as rugged and so I've worried that invites more crazies to prey upon a solo female hiker. I may be completely wrong about that.
I'll be going on my first backpacking trip in about 7 year over the New Years holiday, but will be with friends. Can't wait to see the North Georgia trails!

Alpanista, I moved down to North Georgia in the summer of 2013 and have been out on the trails in Georgia, NC, and TN a couple of times a week. It's true the trails, generally speaking, are not as rugged as the Whites, but the only place where I have encountered anyone that left me a bit uneasy has been on the AT. Lauky and I hiked from Springer to the Smokies twice once on the AT and once on the Benton Mackaye Trail. On the Benton Mackaye trail in 200 miles we met only four people. All four were men but very 'normal' types. That being said, when I think about it, I have met very, very few women solo hiking. The last one I met was on the AT up on Roan Mt. in NC and as we talked I noticed she had one of those little mace sprayers in her right hand. For those who aren't comfortable hiking solo, there are a number of hiking clubs in this area, including a fairly active meet-up group from Atlanta. Hope you have a great hike next weekend.

I haven't been on VFTT in eons -- nor much hiking in years since moving to Georgia...in part because I've not felt comfortable hiking solo here. The terrain isn't as rugged and so I've worried that invites more crazies to prey upon a solo female hiker. I may be completely wrong about that.
I'll be going on my first backpacking trip in about 7 year over the New Years holiday, but will be with friends. Can't wait to see the North Georgia trails!

I don't blame you for feeling that way. So many of us don't truly appreciate just how safe we are in the greater New England area when compared to many other areas of the country. I'm glad your getting out though, it's food for your soul and spirit!

Nice hiking around Chattanooga if you get up that way, its not peak bagging though. Most hikes either start on top of the (Cumberland Plateau) ridges and take you down into ravines or else they reverse that. Many follow water and traverse under the lip of the rim with lots of mild ups and downs. Rock climbing is big but I'm too old for that. Cloudland Canyon in GA, Laurel-Snow Scenic Area in Dayton TN, Prentice-Cooper State Forest just NW of the city, and South Cumberland State Park (Savage Gulf) up near Sewanee and Monteagle TN are a few of my favorites. Despite their love of bluegrass (hear dem banjos playin?) the locals here are very friendly and I've never had a problem on the trails.

Thanks for the tips _ and the encouragement! I'll be sure to post a trip report with pix as soon as we return. I can't tell you how stoked I am to be venturing back into the woods and into the mountains. It's been too long. I did a gear check and shake a few days ago and feel as though I'm as much of an antique as my gear!