Winter Thaw hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Given the forecast, whatever snow on the ground even up north is probably going to be gone or definitely bare bootable by Friday. It reminds me of the year I made a big chunk of my Winter 4 Ks where it was barebootable until after New Years, icy but fast going. I don't expect Jefferson Notch road will be open this year like it was long ago, but probably a great weekend for Jefferson.

So what long hikes are on the agenda for all until we get another big snowfall?

This piqued my interest. Do you think the snow line will be as high as 4000? 3500? I'm giving thought to a drive up tomorrow for a Friday or a Friday/Saturday hike - Waumbek, Hale, East Osceola or the Wildcats with a hut overnight come to mind.

I like referring to the AMC backcountry trail conditions as a means to gauge trail conditions focusing on the reports from the Huts that remain open. Based on the Christmas Day report from Carter Notch Hut: " Packed with areas of slush. Snowshoes are highly recommended, micro spikes are a good idea too." I'm not exactly sure one should think the trails are bare bootable...I'm expecting more spring like conditions with soft snow...especially if you look at the forecasted temperatures for the weekend.

I'll be heading up to Carter Dome on Saturday and planning to bring both snowshoes and MicroSpikes.

This piqued my interest. Do you think the snow line will be as high as 4000? 3500? I'm giving thought to a drive up tomorrow for a Friday or a Friday/Saturday hike - Waumbek, Hale, East Osceola or the Wildcats with a hut overnight come to mind.

Chris, just bear in mind that if you hike Mt. Hale, you have to park on Rte. 302 and do the entire road walk up and back, in addition to the trail itself. That trail changes aspect and can be extremely icy. Plan on a long day, given the road walk!

Brian

Chris, just bear in mind that if you hike Mt. Hale, you have to park on Rte. 302 and do the entire road walk up and back, in addition to the trail itself. That trail changes aspect and can be extremely icy. Plan on a long day, given the road walk!

Brian

Thanks for the kind reminder, Brian. Were I to do Hale, it would be from the "back side" via the Fire Warden's route. I figure I will try Waumbek. Probably will drive up in the am, go check out Arethusa/Ripley Falls area to enjoy the fruits of the melt, then plan to ascend Waumbek starting bare-booted and bringing along spikes and shoes. I'm out of practice, so that even Waumbek, relatively easy as it is, will be a tall order for me. I will be happy to bag another of any size or shape, and it would be my first winter 4K, so much the better.

I like referring to the AMC backcountry trail conditions as a means to gauge trail conditions focusing on the reports from the Huts that remain open. Based on the Christmas Day report from Carter Notch Hut: " Packed with areas of slush. Snowshoes are highly recommended, micro spikes are a good idea too." I'm not exactly sure one should think the trails are bare bootable...I'm expecting more spring like conditions with soft snow...especially if you look at the forecasted temperatures for the weekend.

I'll be heading up to Carter Dome on Saturday and planning to bring both snowshoes and MicroSpikes.

Thanks for the tip, Rolling Rock. I hadn't seen that page before - a nice add. Gracias!

Some up to date info as of Friday. The temps didn't drop low enough last night to freeze up the crust in the north country. There is still 12 inches in my yard and unless packed down, its posthole conditions. I talked to Big Earl and he did a section of Hale today, he described it as April like conditions, mud and streams.

Some up to date info as of Friday. The temps didn't drop low enough last night to freeze up the crust in the north country. There is still 12 inches in my yard and unless packed down, its posthole conditions. I talked to Big Earl and he did a section of Hale today, he described it as April like conditions, mud and streams.

Thx to you and Earl for the intel, PB. Helps a lot with planning.

The Franklin Pierce Monadnock cam earlier showed an almost bare Monadnock. I'm hopeful to get there tomorrow.

I did Pierce today. There was snow at the trailhead of the Crawford Connector, but there were sporadic sections of rock and mud all the way up Crawford Path pretty much until you got to 4,000 feet of elevation.

I did Liberty via Liberty Springs with a friend yesterday. We wore our microspikes the entire way up as did most other hikers we saw. The trail was excellent. However, the hike back down was much wetter as it was a pretty mild day and the snow started melting.

I tried Mt. Tom Saturday. Firm conditions early with patches of bare rock and mud up to the second major crossing - the crossings were easy. Mostly covered and firm up to Avalon/A-Z split. I determined at that point I was not going to make the summit - I was moving about half a mile an hour even in those easy conditions and on that relatively gentle trail. No Whites since late Sept and only one hike, plus not near enough gym time left me way too slow. Persisted to the deep gully right after the split, turned back at the brook's edge. The trip back down was easy, though the rail was really rotting apace below the second crossing on the way down, so care was needed on a few steeper spots. I'd bet the composition of the trail surface will be 1/3 snow cover, 2/3 not after the Sunday rains. It'll come back.

EDIT TO ADD: the 2/3 to 1/3 guess is for below the second crossing.

Meanwhile, I've got to hit the gym and easier CT/MA trails for a bit to build back up to hiking form. Was fun to get up and visit and hike in the Whites in winter, my first time ever, in April conditions at that, and it was good to confirm that I've pretty well assembled ample good quality gear for most winter conditions, but I'm a ways off being able to contend with any White 4K with only 9-10 hours daylight, much less reckon with harder, more standard winter conditions up there.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I've got to hit the gym and easier CT/MA trails for a bit to build back up to hiking form. Was fun to get up and visit and hike in the Whites in winter, my first time ever, in April conditions at that, and it was good to confirm that I've pretty well assembled ample good quality gear for most winter conditions, but I'm a ways off being able to contend with any White 4K with only 9-10 hours daylight, much less reckon with harder, more standard winter conditions up there.

Winter IMO, especially early March to mid-march would be easier than April. April brings rotting snow and late in the month, the dreaded mono-rail. (the trail packed down my winter hikers melts last leaving a narrow band of snow and ice.) Rotting snow appears to be able to hold your weight but it melts from the bottom allowing you to fall through an icy crust, usually into water. The time right after we set the clocks ahead allows for more evening sunshine and is close to the Equinox.

(BTW, skipped Monadnock on favor or a fall hike hike with the entire family at Rocky Neck.)

If looking for some CT and MA hikes, (better than treadmill time but jogging and walking is always good providing joints can take it) Bear, Race and Everett can feel like NH after a front comes through, you'll need your micro-spikes. If looking for some easier snow free trails, several state parks along the shore offer trails that melt first or don't even get much snow and offer views of the sound. (not a lot of climbing so you could carry a heavy pack if training) Penwood and Talcott )as you probably know being close to them) are well traveled in winter and the trip up Talcott from (I think) Rt 189 is pretty steep but short, a natural stair climber.

The CT AT and Harriman State Park in NY melt out first and in April should be bug free there are other nice areas on the AT in Ct other than Bear and Lion's Head. Usually the Catskills, Greylock and Monadnock are next. (some depending on where the last spring storms track.) Monadnock may be bare on top first but just like the tall peaks of NH, snow and ice may linger just below treeline, In Monadnocks case a smaller band than in the Whites. In the Spring, open south facing trails through hardwoods melt out before evergreen lined north facing trails.

In the Whites, the last trails to melt out are usually the high wooded ridges. (the top of the Tri loop, Twinway between South Twin & Guyot and also between Guyot and Zealand, F-Ridge between Lincoln and Little Haystack, Garfield Ridge and Wildcat Ridge between the Wildcat Subpeaks. Getting up Whiteface from Ferncroft may not have much snow but the Rollins over to Passaconaway can be full of deep rotting snow in early may when the cliff is (mostly)clear of snow and ice.

hiked the Pumpelly Trail on Sunday. Mostly free of ice above treeline with plenty of thin fractured and loosly attached ice in the lower sections. Microspikes and ample caution are needed for this trail for sure in these conditions.