East Kennebago Maine 12/27/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Barely able to fit car to right of shoulder line on 16 this morning. Set off on skis pulling my sled under gray skies and steady wind. This is one of those hikes you have to be grateful for snow mobiles…and astounded as to where they sometimes go. Switched to snow shoes around mile 2.5 or so on the ATV/snow mobile route. My concern about warm temperatures was unfounded- was able to move along well thanks to the consolidated snow and the use of the snow mobiles on the route. There is a TON of snow in Northern Maine- more than I've seen anywhere.

Amazingly, some snow mobile went up the boundary path the route follows- could this hike get any easier? At 3000 feet, I turned into the woods heading northwest and who can resist following the yellow blazes while they lasted? The snow was unbelievable! I never sunk anywhere though I saw moose post holes deeper than 3 feet. Felt like I was "stealing candy from a baby"- the hike was easier than summer/fall since the snow covered all the little spruce trees, yet spruce traps were never a threat. Signed in to the register in the canister- last hikers were up there 11/15. I could not easily follow my tracks back but it was really no problem. Just headed southeast and avoided some spruce clusters. Saw 2 minks 20 minutes apart. Descent was 30-40 minutes.

Back at the base, I threw my skis on and enjoyed some exhilarating moments. After one wipe out where my sled crashed into me, I straddled the sled with skis on the side and really had a blast- had to have hit 20 mph on some of those hills. Managed to avoid the few snow mobilers out. Descent on the ATV road was 45 minutes versus over 2 hours up. Back to car by 1. Can never get enough of Maine.

I love reports from Rangeley. Nice to go up Kennebago. Hope you won't mind me asking why the sled? Practice?

Barely able to fit car to right of shoulder line on 16 this morning. Set off on skis pulling my sled under gray skies and steady wind. This is one of those hikes you have to be grateful for snow mobiles…and astounded as to where they sometimes go. Switched to snow shoes around mile 2.5 or so on the ATV/snow mobile route. My concern about warm temperatures was unfounded- was able to move along well thanks to the consolidated snow and the use of the snow mobiles on the route. There is a TON of snow in Northern Maine- more than I've seen anywhere.

Amazingly, some snow mobile went up the boundary path the route follows- could this hike get any easier? At 3000 feet, I turned into the woods heading northwest and who can resist following the yellow blazes while they lasted? The snow was unbelievable! I never sunk anywhere though I saw moose post holes deeper than 3 feet. Felt like I was "stealing candy from a baby"- the hike was easier than summer/fall since the snow covered all the little spruce trees, yet spruce traps were never a threat. Signed in to the register in the canister- last hikers were up there 11/15. I could not easily follow my tracks back but it was really no problem. Just headed southeast and avoided some spruce clusters. Saw 2 minks 20 minutes apart. Descent was 30-40 minutes.

Back at the base, I threw my skis on and enjoyed some exhilarating moments. After one wipe out where my sled crashed into me, I straddled the sled with skis on the side and really had a blast- had to have hit 20 mph on some of those hills. Managed to avoid the few snow mobilers out. Descent on the ATV road was 45 minutes versus over 2 hours up. Back to car by 1. Can never get enough of Maine.