An interesting choice for winter clothing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is dangerous reasoning, as it has frequently been applied to marginalized groups of people. There are still people that have these exact same thoughts towards gay people and immigrants. If there isn't anything wrong with an activity, then the issue is with the offended person. This is not to blame the offended person, but really point out that norms are perpetuated across generations and society, regardless of reason for having those 'norms'. Someone with those 'normal' beliefs might have adopted them without thinking critically (and thus could change their viewpoint).

Being offended by something doesn't grant you and special rights. My impression is that taking offense is generally a result of making assumptions about someone's intent (and frequently combined with ignorance), which here might be along the lines of 'nudists are acting in an inherently sexual manner' (akin to 'postholers only care about themselves' mentality). It appears the OP was curious about the guys choice to go nude, but didn't indicate that he ask the gentleman about it, so we have to accept that we really don't know the intent (lost bet, fell in the brook and took it all off, hikes naked everywhere, sexual fetish, etc.).

First off, what the heck are you talking about? You have completely misrepresented my post to suit your own agenda. I never mentioned anything sexual in nature, nor did I suggest what he was attempting to do. My point was and still is, if you will climb off your high horse and listen, is this. Its rude to impose yourself on others. How about you invite me over to have dinner with your family and when I get there, I take off my clothes, is that ok with you? Secondly, I have lived all over the country including San Francisco and consider myself to be not only very open and accepting of all kinds of people, but the first to stand up to correct negative behavior. That being said, I'm also open to my surroundings and act accordingly as to not impose and or offend people I encounter weather its my right to do so or not. One final point. I'm a member of a few different discussion boards and one subject that comes up a lot is females wanting to solo hikes but are afraid to go alone. how do think a female would feel on her first solo to encounter a naked man far from the road? Lets say he had no ill intentions, it still imposes on others that might not be into that lifestyle, that was my point, that alone.

Last edited:
First off, what the heck are you talking about? You have completely misrepresented my post to suit your own agenda. I never mentioned anything sexual in nature, nor did I suggest what he was attempting to do. My point was and still is, if you will climb off your high horse and listen, is this. Its rude to impose yourself on others. How about you invite me over to have dinner with your family and when I get there, I take off my clothes, is that ok with you? Secondly, I have lived all over the country including San Francisco and consider myself to be not only very open and accepting of all kinds of people, but the first to stand up to correct negative behavior. That being said, I'm also open to my surroundings and act accordingly as to not impose and or offend people I encounter weather its my right to do so or not. One final point. I'm a member of a few different discussion boards and one subject that comes up a lot is females wanting to solo hikes but are afraid to go alone. how do think a female would feel on her first solo to encounter a naked man far from the road? Lets say he had no ill intentions, it still imposes on others that might not be into that lifestyle, that was my point, that alone.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used 'you' as I was trying to speak generally. Didn't mean to imply anything about you directly. I get your point, but I disagree with your reasoning behind it, that's all. :)

Also, it isn't a horse, I am just really tall. :D

Sorry, I shouldn't have used 'you' as I was trying to speak generally. Didn't mean to imply anything about you directly. I get your point, but I disagree with your reasoning behind it, that's all. :)

Also, it isn't a horse, I am just really tall. :D[/QUOTE

Fair enough, lets just move on.

Who knows what he was up to. Maybe he was from another planet. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e3t3zC7M4cw

Especially in a thread dealing with behaviors to which others might take affront, let's not trample roughshod over the refined sensibilities of the Sci-Fi community: he's from another time, not another planet!

That aside, a great reference, exactly on point.

Alex

And if that solo female hiker has decided she'd be safer with a handgun...... (another thread that comes up from time to time):rolleyes: (pretty sure if she shoots first, her lawyer will argue self defense)

Especially in a thread dealing with behaviors to which others might take affront, let's not trample roughshod over the refined sensibilities of the Sci-Fi community: he's from another time, not another planet!

That aside, a great reference, exactly on point.

Alex
Good thing we have members like yourself to put it all straight. LOL!

Refined sensibilities? You gotta be kidding me.

Last edited:
...After a great Carter Dome and Mt Hight day hike on Saturday I was hiking out around 4:00 PM with some folks. We were about 15 minutes from the parking lot and encountered a couple. I was watching my footing but noticed the man was hiking with no shirt but didn't pay a lot of attention. The person I was hiking with stopped soon after they passed and looked at me and asked me if I saw what he saw, I looked back and noticed that the guy also was not wearing any pants or any other article of clothing (his female partner was fully clothed). He did have what looked like an overnight pack and given the time of day I expect he was heading to Carter Notch. There was an AMC NH chapter hike 15 minutes behind us. We asked them if they had seen any unusual sites and 3 of the ladies started laughing and confirmed that the only thing he had on was his pack. It was 38 degrees on my car thermometer and the sun was going down, so I am curious how far he went.

Attention-starved d-bag. Two happy outcomes of this story would have been: (1) Someone passing by takes a picture/video of him and it accidentally finds it's way onto the internet, (2) A nice man is hiking with his 7-year-old daughter and passes by, and the nice man punches the nude hiker in the face. Not enough to hurt him bad, but just a broken nose/jaw and maybe a dozen stitches. So when this d-bag returns to work on monday he can tell all his co-workers what happened and why. In either scenario, he gets all the attention he so desparately seeks.

I'm a live-and-let-live person, and I have a great sense of humor, but this is scummy, it's not funny. If he wore a speedo, that would've been kinda funny, and it would've at least shown some style. But totally naked where children hike? That's sleazy. And spare me the "the human body is a beautiful thing" crap.

Attention-starved d-bag. Two happy outcomes of this story would have been: (1) Someone passing by takes a picture/video of him and it accidentally finds it's way onto the internet, (2) A nice man is hiking with his 7-year-old daughter and passes by, and the nice man punches the nude hiker in the face. Not enough to hurt him bad, but just a broken nose/jaw and maybe a dozen stitches. So when this d-bag returns to work on monday he can tell all his co-workers what happened and why. In either scenario, he gets all the attention he so desparately seeks.

I'm a live-and-let-live person, and I have a great sense of humor, but this is scummy, it's not funny. If he wore a speedo, that would've been kinda funny, and it would've at least shown some style. But totally naked where children hike? That's sleazy. And spare me the "the human body is a beautiful thing" crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2VaalmijM :D

Some great replies here. I guess it just goes to show that people can really see things differently.
I remember an old Woody Allen movie (and possibly in real life) answer to a psychiatrist's question: "Do you think sex is dirty?" his response... "Only if you're doing it right."

Some great replies here. I guess it just goes to show that people can really see things differently.
I remember an old Woody Allen movie (and possibly in real life) answer to a psychiatrist's question: "Do you think sex is dirty?" his response... "Only if you're doing it right."

Great one! Not as relevant, but my fave (from Annie Hall):

...a guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and says, hey doc, my brother's crazy! He thinks he's a chicken. Then the doc says, why don't you turn him in? Then the guy says, I would but I need the eggs.

Sometimes we overlook the weird if it suits our purposes or ideals.

We're all weird, one way or another. It's part of what makes life 'fun'! :D

If everyone were just like me, it would be boring!