East Baldpate 12/28 via AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Rainy start to day prompted a late 9am start for me. First mile to Tablerock junction was no problem. Next two miles were exhausting due to massive blowdowns everywhere and very soft snow. Major kudos to 1SloHiker who was probably first one up after last major snow storm and broke a trail up to West Baldpate. Don't know how he did it by himself. Looks like a few others have been up to at least West peak since then, too.

I considered turning back at West peak due to high winds and fatigue but decided to press on. West peak is no problem route finding and snow was still soft. East Peak was completely exposed to strong winds and was coated in thick and thin ice. Use my ice axe to get up the lower ledges. Crampons/Hillsounds would have been better than my snow shoes. Descent down was almost as tiring as ascent, especially from the Baldpate lean to back to Tablerock junction. Looks like a tornado hit the trail up there.