Owl's Head, Osceolas 12.28.14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
Owls head via black pond and Brutus bushwacks
Lincoln woods had mashed potatoe snow and some bare ground, most of the bare spots were before osseo. Black pond was in nice shape, barebooting was fine. Soft slush and mud dominated the black pond whack. Followed some tracks that ventured higher uphill than usual, especially right at the end. It ended up dropping down into the usual drainage though. Barebooting recommended thru there due to the very shallow snow and bare ground. Franconia brook had some wet spots but not bad. The crossings were a tad elevated but still fairly easy to cross with wet boots. The Brutus Bushwack starts with a hairpin right turn that might be easily missed then makes its way up to the birch glade but higher than the old road I've taken before, I believe. The whack does not exit up and left (into the softeoods) and instead crosses the drainage, climbs up a ways more then hangs left. It just does more climbing there, neither good nor bad just something to have your eyes open for if you are following old tracks. Halfway up the whack the snow was frozen and made for a quick dash to the summit. On the way out I barebooted a more direct black pond whack beginning at the old logging grade by the franconia brook crossing. It ends right at the end of trail sign on black pond.

Osceolas (kanc)
Microspikes were the way to go. Though I'm not gonna lie the steeps heading up east Osceola could be climbed with crampons. I've always thought crampons on these peaks were way overkill but climbing today with spikes were fine but you definitely had to slow down and go carefully descending the steps since they are literally frozen luge runs right now with no soft snow to help you slow down. Stay to the side of the trail for uncolsolidated snow and it'll be a breeze.

Pat
Pcushing21 at yahoo dot com