Waumbek; Wildcat a and d via ski slopes 12.31.14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
Waumbek
4wd vehicles can still make it to the trailhead though it's icy. I parked in the lot on rt 2. Snowshoes were left in the car today, microspikes were all that's needed. Lots of frozen water on the trail down low, even with spikes you could find yourself horizontal pretty easily. Much less ice up high and a well packed trail to the summit. Was nice running into some of the sweet local residents 'out for a morning walk' up Waumbek, must be pretty nice having that in your backyard! Also ran into a small DOC group which was unexpected and pleasant.

Wildcats a and d
I still can't believe I paid $10 to walk up ski slopes but I suppose paying 1/10th of the time seems about right. I wore snowshoes up to D in part to prevent post holes but also for the heel lift. Microspikes the rest of the way. Trail is nice and packed though there is a little hidden ice on some of the ledges, one spot got me good. Between d and c the trail needs brushing but otherwise no issues.

Happy new year!
Pat
Pcushing21 at yahoo dot com