East Kennebago, 1-2-15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
East Kennebago, 1-2-15. Logging road up from Route 16, town line to height of land, then bushwhack northwest to peak. Logging roads were all snowmobiled, with about an inch of powder on top of packed snow and ice. Skiing up was fine. Skiing down was a little treacherous, with the wind blowing the snow off the ice in many spots so I didn't have good control, plus a fair number of snowmobilers were out in the afternoon. I had to snowplow a lot to keep from picking up too much speed on the downhill curves and risk running into a snowmobile coming the other way. I decided that I'm not overly fond of skiing on heavily used snowmobile trails.

Snow in the woods was a hard crust; I used snowshoes in case of holes and to even out the moose postholes under my feet. The woods are incredibly open up there - I had not a single moment of branches-in-the-face frustration on this whole hike. A very cold wind was the only problem to be dealt with.