Tuck's Owl's Head Folly

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
Alternate titles: "Where the F is the Brutus Bushwhack" "Why I am buying a GPS today"

Only one "trying" Owl's Head yesterday. Thought I found the BB; I did not. Had been going about 1.5 hours from end of Black Pond Bushwhack. Very steep path I was following petered out and decided to try going side sloping to pick up slide. I really think I went past it but that seems improbable. Using to much energy and decided to go straight up. So steep and deep snow. Spruce traps a plenty grabbing my snowshoes. Made about 300 yards in an hour with several slips backward. The last slip I went head over heels for about 15 feet coming to rest only because my snowshoes got caught on trees. I was lying almost completely upside down. I found out a lot about myself right then. I was banged up and mentally fried. At least 7 miles since seeing anyone. I thought "wow this is how it happens." Stuck miles from anywhere and help. After a few minutes of feeling sorry for myself, I rallied and it took a good 15 minutes to free myself. Decided today wasn't the day. Tough to turn around being so close. I had lost the lower section of a pole. Decided to switch back to spikes and use ice ax for descent. Mostly bum sliding. Blew out a micro spike on the way down and thankful for my repair kit. A long exhilarating day that I will never forget.

Unless you as sure where the BB is, do not follow the tracks!!!
Tuck

There is a lot to be said for solo hiking, but miles from anywhere and help, there is a lot to be said for a small group. Good to hear you made it out.

It's all fun and games until a bushwhack gets real. It is amazing how many roots,branches,rocks manage to grab you in a process of a few strides. I have come out on a losing side too many times during a bushwhack to completely hate it in New England,especially winter in the thick Maine Woods. :)

Thanks for sharing, I think many of us have had similar moments and have had to turn back close to the top. I had a similar story on my winter Isolation trip a few years ago & likely by dumb luck I found the Davis Path.

Good call, Tuck. As the saying goes, "the mountain will be there".

I have only had two unsuccessful attempts at a peak. The 1st was OH when the water tables were too high. I feel for your situation. When we decided to abandon the hike when we were at the third crossing and I could practically taste the summit. Another hiker and I scouted ahead and found a tree spanning the river well above the normal crossing, but the group was not comfortable with the idea. Oh well, right? I enjoyed it twice as much on the second attempt.

When I first started peak bagging I tried going up the Flume Slide in late November with no spikes, snowshoes, or a trail description :). I was in full panic mode as the sun began getting ever closer to the horizon and I couldn't find the trail. Luckily I had enough reception to call a friend who told me to just head up and eventually I would hit the Osseo Trail. I was so relieved to summit Flume and then I put in a hard charge to beat the darkness. It was a record time for me fueled by fear and adrenaline. I barely stopped long enough on Liberty to take in the beauty of Flume before bounding down the trail as fast as my feet could carry me.

As Mike P said, "I think many of us have had similar moments." I am glad you made it out okay and have a great story to tell around the fire.

Stay well,

Z :D

Alternate titles: "Where the F is the Brutus Bushwhack" "Why I am buying a GPS today"

Only one "trying" Owl's Head yesterday. Thought I found the BB; I did not. Had been going about 1.5 hours from end of Black Pond Bushwhack. Very steep path I was following petered out and decided to try going side sloping to pick up slide. I really think I went past it but that seems improbable. Using to much energy and decided to go straight up. So steep and deep snow. Spruce traps a plenty grabbing my snowshoes. Made about 300 yards in an hour with several slips backward. The last slip I went head over heels for about 15 feet coming to rest only because my snowshoes got caught on trees. I was lying almost completely upside down. I found out a lot about myself right then. I was banged up and mentally fried. At least 7 miles since seeing anyone. I thought "wow this is how it happens." Stuck miles from anywhere and help. After a few minutes of feeling sorry for myself, I rallied and it took a good 15 minutes to free myself. Decided today wasn't the day. Tough to turn around being so close. I had lost the lower section of a pole. Decided to switch back to spikes and use ice ax for descent. Mostly bum sliding. Blew out a micro spike on the way down and thankful for my repair kit. A long exhilarating day that I will never forget.

Unless you as sure where the BB is, do not follow the tracks!!!
Tuck

Sounds like you had a period of Type III fun in there. Glad you made it out ok! What was the official 'technique' to extract yourself? :)