Anybody game to join me? Pyrenees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After hiking the Camino Santiago (French route) and (Camino Aragon) over the past two Septembers, I am itching to go back this coming late summer to hike the Pyrenees. Either backpack or refugio to refugio. Anyone have the time and money to join me? I calculate that 15 days will cost from $300 to $750 not including airfare from Boston to Lourdes. The range of cost is of course depending on whether one tents, or stays in full service refugios. I am budgeting $2000 for the entire 15 days. The trip length is very flexible 10 to 20 days. Last year I had 45 days scheduled which caused problems with my dog care situation. Far too long it turned out.

If I go I plan on spending most of the early summer hiking and backpacking here at home in Maine and New Hampshire.

I was thinking about going out and backpacking the Colorado trail this summer, but due to pulmonary damage suffered during my Vietnam Conflict experiances I am very suseptible to HAPE when staying over 12,000 feet for even a short time. (You need to watch what you breathe in an active war zone) The Pyrenees GR 11 and GR 10 rarely go above 10,000 feet. That is the reason that I have gone to Scotland so many times to hike and backpack. I love above tree line hiking, but cannot deal with the altitude effects on my lungs.

Check this little blurb on Hiking in the Pyrenees. http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2014/01/a-beginners-guide-to-walking-in-the-pyrenees/