If you could hike with a historical figure who would it be?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is George Hayduke a historical figure? ;-) If not, then Edward Abbey would be my choice. You can have a serious conversation about the environment with him or he can just make you laugh. Just don't let him get near the Cog Railway, he might get some ideas.

I am glad people are enjoying this thread.

From what I have read here is a brief and myopic statistic:

All the woman who have responded would want to hike with a woman.
All the men who have responded would want to hike with a man.

The only exception is Montana, who would like to hike with Marilyn Monroe. I suppose with a self-appointed name like Monroe she was a big fan of the presis ;)

Thanks all,

Z :D

amended reply: Lewis and Clark and Sacagawea who also knew her way around

Is George Hayduke a historical figure? ;-) If not, then Edward Abbey would be my choice. You can have a serious conversation about the environment with him or he can just make you laugh. Just don't let him get near the Cog Railway, he might get some ideas.

+1

He'd have a plan for Northern Pass as well.

Fun thread, how about a great artist with a great eye for the mountains Bierstadt, Cole, Moran, Church or Champney? How about Hannibal he could cross those high peaks!

I love Bierstadt's work. Ive climbed Mt. Bierstadt (a 14er in CO) I think 7 times. My sister bought me a Bierstadt print of his rendition of Yosemite Valley, it is fantastic.

I will go with Gandhi. Many other good choices. I like the idea of Lucille Ball, and the Hudson River School artists mentioned previously. I could see a down side to having a general yell at me to get my arse moving at every break ;).

J. E. Henry... that way maybe I could convince him to have his logging team do something so that Owl's head would have a view. Leave some bare rock or something where trees wouldn't grow back.
(This suggestion is mostly meant as a joke, but the thought popped into my head the other day)

Percy Fawcett would be someone I would love to have a chance to speak with.

The book "The Lost City of Z" chronicles his obsession to find the remnants of an ancient, advanced civilization deep in the Amazon. I hate spoilers, myself, so I won't elaborate further.

The prophet Mohammed is someone I would like to take on a full day hike. Not to change the tone to morose, but I have some serious questions about how certain elements of his faith are playing out in present times. No disrespect intended of course, but as a non-muslim I would like to have some primary source perspective.

Z :D

Trying to decide on this one. Cant make a decision between Boone, Crockett, Lewis Clarke, or Pocohontas:)

Geronimo on Franconia Ridge during tourist season. Look Goyahkla, bad white man invading the sacred mountains. Of coarse I'd have an agreement with him that I get to complete the hike. ;) And take him for some good Mexican food after the hike. :cool:

Last edited: