If you could hike with a historical figure who would it be?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it depends on a few details about the hike. Which peak(s) are we hiking? Thoreau was mentioned and I think he would be great to hike with on Monadnock. He spent lots of time there and had an admiration for the mountain. Other notables had the same feelings for other mountains. Also, are we hiking in the current day or back when they were alive? If back when they were alive instead of today, it would be fun to hike with many of the people who developed a number of the early trails up the mountains we now love so much. If hiking today, it would be interesting to see some people's opinions about how things have changed.

Hi Sdways01,

I intentionally left the parameters wide and vague so people could take things in different directions. When this discussion began over the holidays my friend and I were thinking about hiking in the present with someone from the past, but all is fair game. Have fun with it :)

Z :D

Marcel Marceau.

No talking.

Failing the availability of the world's greatest mime, I think I could probably be talked into an outing (or expedition) with the great George Mallory. Have always found him to be quite an interesting figure not just for his mountaineering prowess but for his approach to life in general.

ah this is a good one! How about Eleanor roosevelt? She has hiked in nh. Ted roosevelt would likely talk your ear off, but would be interesting. James Audubon I would enjoy being a bird person.

I am glad people are enjoying this thread.

From what I have read here is a brief and myopic statistic:

All the woman who have responded would want to hike with a woman.
All the men who have responded would want to hike with a man.

The only exception is Montana, who would like to hike with Marilyn Monroe. I suppose with a self-appointed name like Monroe she was a big fan of the presis ;)

Thanks all,

I am glad people are enjoying this thread.

From what I have read here is a brief and myopic statistic:

All the woman who have responded would want to hike with a woman.
All the men who have responded would want to hike with a man.

The only exception is Montana, who would like to hike with Marilyn Monroe. I suppose with a self-appointed name like Monroe she was a big fan of the presis ;)

Thanks all,

I should clarify by saying that I do not really know the gender of everyone who has posted a response, so please strike that from the record. :)

Z

my husband thought that hiking with a native American might be very interesting, which immediately led me to think of Chocorua. my ? To him would be what really happened on that mountain.

It would be pretty cool to hike Mount Washington with Brad Washburn. Someone on here has probably done that. (?)

More great picks! :)

I too would like to know what really happened (from start to finish) with Chocorua.

Washburn is a great choice. I would love to hear from Bob Bates a well on their "Escape from Lucania".

Be well,

I would pick Patton. That way on a real tough hike when I was at my limit ready to give up, he would be behind me screaming " Your yellow!! Get your ass moving or I'll slap you silly!!! Lift those legs, tough it out!!! Nobody quits on me!!!!! MOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

It would be cool to hike Mt Washington with George Washington..... maybe ski or ride Tux, too, while we're at it!!! :)

Jesus. I could ask him if everything they wrote about him in the bible is true. If he answers yes, then I'm sure he could get us out of any trouble we might encounter.

Jesus. I could ask him if everything they wrote about him in the bible is true. If he answers yes, then I'm sure he could get us out of any trouble we might encounter.

Excellent response. I have often wondered what he would have said about Papal infallibility, tithing, the crusades, etc...
4 years of studying theology left me with a lot more questions that answers. I am surprised no one said Karl Marx yet. I suppose he might be "a downer" on the trail. ;)

No disrespect of course, but just in case...
http://biblehub.com/john/8-7.htm

Good stuff everyone.

I thought about Jesus, but I thought the language barrier would make it difficult.

Steven Hawking - Background: In the 70's we went hiking in Harriman St Park with a young woman who had cerebal palsey who had never hiked. We carried her when needed and she had herself a time. I realize Dr. Hawking hasn't been confined to a chair his entire life but I'd still offer the lift.

And I doubt any of the above mentioned people will party like we would at the summit! :)
Well at least you wouldn't have to worry about someone bringing along the Summit Cigars either.

Fun thread, how about a great artist with a great eye for the mountains Bierstadt, Cole, Moran, Church or Champney? How about Hannibal he could cross those high peaks!