Quandary Peak, First winter 14er Ascent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
Quandary Peak is a popular 14er because it is mellow by 14er standards and easy to access. It is pretty safe from avalanches, a real concern in colorado, so it's a good place for winter if you want to get above 14K. It was near perfect conditions Wednesday when I summited with fellow former New Englander Drew Petersen. This time spikes took us the entire trip and we had views from Pikes Peak to the Maroon Bells and other Aspen Area Elk Range 14ers and down to the Sangre de Cristos. It was comfortable in the teens with maybe 25MPH gusts but very enjoyable. I barely noticed the altitude on this one although I could see quite a few others gasping as I descended. The conditions were much easier and less difficult than 14er MT Yale that I climbed early December.
http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2015/01/a-beautiful-winter-climb-of-quandary.html

This is the link to the trip report. Enjoy and I highly recommend coming out west if you never have.

Quandary Peak is a popular 14er because it is mellow by 14er standards and easy to access. It is pretty safe from avalanches, a real concern in colorado, so it's a good place for winter if you want to get above 14K. It was near perfect conditions Wednesday when I summited with fellow former New Englander Drew Petersen. This time spikes took us the entire trip and we had views from Pikes Peak to the Maroon Bells and other Aspen Area Elk Range 14ers and down to the Sangre de Cristos. It was comfortable in the teens with maybe 25MPH gusts but very enjoyable. I barely noticed the altitude on this one although I could see quite a few others gasping as I descended. The conditions were much easier and less difficult than 14er MT Yale that I climbed early December.
http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2015/01/a-beautiful-winter-climb-of-quandary.html

This is the link to the trip report. Enjoy and I highly recommend coming out west if you never have.

Very cool. When we moved out in late 2010 I was interested in doing some winter 14ers, but even the more hardcore peakbaggers I ran into who were natives were not too hot on the idea, mainly because of a high degree of unpredictability. 14ers.com mentions some activity but not nearly the amount you see in the Whites. Now I barely have time to hike, but good to hear that there is some of this going on! Quandary makes sense- it's a big long broad ridge hike mostly, once you get above treeline. Weather would be your only major barrier.

I only post a few of my Colorado TRs on here. I know VFTT is northeast oriented and don't want to put too much Western stuff on here. I like to share and maybe brag about my new surroundings from time to time on here if it seems of interest. I do have quite a few trip reports from the past 6 months that I lived out here for anyone interested on my blog. Anybody on here want info on Colorado hiking also feel free to ask me. I'm still learning the state but am starting to get around. I don't know it like I knew Maine yet.