Looking to do a three day hike in the spring time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmr_cleanx

Reaction score
First I would just like to say hello and thanks in advance for any advice that I may get from you. This spring im looking to do a three day(give or take) hike with my brother in law. We are looking to get the most bang for our buck in that time as far views, waterfalls and all around awesomeness haha. A few friends recommended the Pemi loop which looks like a great hike. Does anyone have any favorite multi day hikes that they particularly love and could share? I'm trying to stay away from the crowds as much as we can. We are both experienced hikers but haven't spent a whole ton of time in New England.

Define springtime. Spring conditions in the whites vary widely to deep snow to muddy to sunny and warm all in three days. Saying away from crowds cuts out a large portion of the whites as they are busy from May until October. Lot to be said for southern VT but the GMC strongly encourages hikers to stay off the trails until Memorial Day due to mud and the erosion that occurs.

The Pemi loop would be one of the best for your money, but as peakbagger stated, it could be epic depending on when you call springtime. In the spring, I tend to focus on ridge hikes as they melt out faster. I would consider a Presidential traverse as an option, but that being said, that route comes with it's own concerns.

Haha well I guess I should say more early summer. I'd like to be able to get away with non frigid nights and also be able to camp and not do huts(we have hammocks).

A mid to late June Pemi Loop Hike is doable but the black flies will be out and you may wish you had a tent as they can be quite annoying.

Where are you familiar with? The Whites, Adirondacks or Baxter State Park are, IMO, the best three spots to go. (Catskills are nice too not as many views, maybe better waterfalls though)

Pemi Loop is well documented, parts of Franconia Ridge, Garfield Ridge and the Twinway can be the last trails to melt out and while on the ridge, not much water features. The less traveled section of the Pemi, has more water features and fewer people. BSP has more ponds, streams and moose but also has more rules, especially on climbing the big peak. Several loops in the ADK also available.

My findings have been that NH has few biting insects compared to Maine and the ADK's. Where ever you decide, pick up a guidebook and focus on the type of trip you want, ridges and views, streams and waterfalls or a mix of the two.

One of the best backpacking trips I've taken in the northeast was the Mahoosic Range. I had done the 4k's and wanted to go somewhere new. The campsites were fantastic, the peaks surreel and the notch itself was a blast. The range has it's own flavor and I think its a gem to get away on for a few days. We intended to spend 3 nights out, but when we got to Speck Pond, it was a zoo. Seems that it was some kind of Boy Scout revival or something. I couldnt do it, so we humped out that day. To those who have never traversed the range, its truley a hidden Gem as a backpack.
P.S. The ponds are great for swimming, but be quick, its leach heaven.