Best winter route for Moosilauke ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Carriage Road, Gorge Brook and Snapper all get plenty of ski and board use in the winter. Snowmobiles run on the Carriage Road up to the turnaround area about 1000' linear feet below the junction with Glencliff.
So the guy I saw may have drove a snowmobile up
most of the way and then made at least 3 trips of hiking up and boarding down from there. I prefer to think that he hiked up 5 miles and 3000 ft of elevation and boarded down several time. Either way, good for him, and exrtra kudos for making parallel tracks that formed a nice snowshoe track

Saw your trail condition report on the other page. Sounds like you got in a cold & windy but fun hike! Have a great winter out there, Marvin :)

-Chris

Last edited:
I've never seen someone shuttled up to the ridge via snowmobile with the intent of skiing/riding down. But I suppose it's possible. More likely he hiked up in snowshoes or had a splitboard.

And the parallel tracks is standard practice when in untracked terrain. It allows you maximize your group's ability to get freshies without crossing anyone's track.

davevandame460x314-jpg.jpg

Granted, this is a bit excessive. And all these tracks are from one guy. :)

Last edited:
I think its 5 to 2 for Glencliff and those favoring Beaver Brook mentioned steepness and ice. Since I haven't hiked in almost a month and haven't hiked a 4k since March, and... ate way too much over the holidays; I'm heading for Glencliff. I passed on S. Peak when I last did Mooselauke (snow but not "winter"), so maybe I'll tag her if I have any steam left on the way back and the skies are clear. Thanks all for the advice.

As previously mentioned, South Peak is a super easy "bag" from Glencliff Trail. I think it is 0.2 miles of somewhat steady but not steep climbing. It is worth a little steam.... :)