El Capitan’s Dawn Wall Climbers Reach Top at Yosemite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Very impressive. Interesting that this climbing success got so much coverage in mainstream media. Many (most?) impressive climbing and mountaineering feats go unreported outside the "climbing" circle.

(The Times article was pretty good to read. Obviously they took the time to educate themselves. Most of the media coverage has been difficult (or at least amusing) to read.)

This was feat of planning, commitment, and endurance. None of the individual pitches were at today's cutting edge of difficulty. There are hundreds of people who could climb the hardest pitch of this route, if it stood alone as a single pitch route. But what these guys did is impressive because of putting the whole route together in a single push. They've been working on this for years, which is cool!

... and yet there is this quote that sticks out:

Jorgeson needed seven days and 10 attempts to navigate the horizontal traverse of Pitch 15, unexpectedly slowing the expedition

How much food and water was carried? This and other logistics were ignored by the reports, or at least I didn't see them reported.

Tim

I think I saw mention that support team members rappeled to collect wag bags. I assumed that the support team also brought fresh supplies...

Last edited:

It was the front page headline in the Denver Post today with a big picture of the two of them. (though I am not super proud of the Post, it is cool to see what it prioritizes sometimes in a metro area with 2+ million people...) There was another article a few days ago that mentioned that Jorgenson fell 15-20 times tackling one particular pitch. You can find both articles (plus loads of ads) at denverpost.org .

IMO, mostly a yawn. Much of the noise is because it was done as a media event..

Yes, they freed (climbed without aid) a very difficult route, but they did it in what many (including myself) consider poor style.
* heavy support from others (bringing up supplies etc)
* Heavily rehearsed--they practiced the hard pitches beforehand
* Pre-fixed gear
* Pre-marked holds (with chalk)
* Media on the wall with them meant that if something happened, they could count on help rather than having to deal with it themselves. Plus the psychological support having others nearby.
A great step backward in some respects... See http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15w/newswire-caldwell-jorgeson-free-dawn-wall

I'm much more impressed with the first ascent of the route by Warren Harding and Dean Caldwell* in 1970. (The face was then known as "the wall of early morning light".) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Harding_(climber) http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/outdoor/great-moments-in-climbing-on-el-capitan-20150107
* No relation to Tommy Caldwell

Another very noteworthy comparison is Joe Taker and Pete Boardman's ascent of the West Wall of Changabang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changabang http://www.amazon.com/Shining-Mountain-Changabangs-West-Wall/dp/0525241868

Doug

I heard an interview this evening from the two climbers (one could barely speak from laryngitis) and wondered about the logistics of a 19 day free climb ascent. I was unaware of the pre-fixed gear. I know this is different from the "off-width" climbing scene, but maybe some purists of free climbing would take exception to that additional benefit.

Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker did an impressive climb of Super Crack only to have others dismiss their accomplishment by pointing out that they had pre-rigged the crack ahead of time. To their credit Tom and Pete returned from the UK and did the entire climb over again.

I just thought it was an interesting parallel. I am not a climber myself, so does anyone have a better sense if pre-fixed is considered "cheating"? I honestly don't know.

I am not a climber myself, so does anyone have a better sense if pre-fixed is considered "cheating"? I honestly don't know.

Unless you climb a route buck naked - no rope, no chalk, no nothing - on the first try without ever having set eyes on it or heard of the route mentioned in any context ever, someone somewhere will consider you to have "cheated" on some level. So it's really a question of degrees. But most people consider a ground-up ascent, without the help of others, placing gear on lead as you go, to be "good style." Having access to infinite resupplies, placing some gear on rappel, pre-fixing gear, and placing some unclean gear (pitons, bolts, etc) would be considered quite poor style by many (myself included). BUTTTTTTTTT, the story here is not about free climbing a hard route in good style, per se. The story is about setting your sights on a tremendously ambitious goal, dedicating years of your life to the pursuit of that goal, performing at the top of the pile of elite athletes in your discipline, and ultimately persevering. To me, that's a pretty big deal.

Last edited:
I heard an interview this evening from the two climbers (one could barely speak from laryngitis) and wondered about the logistics of a 19 day free climb ascent. I was unaware of the pre-fixed gear. I know this is different from the "off-width" climbing scene, but maybe some purists of free climbing would take exception to that additional benefit.
Harding and D. Caldwell spent 27 nights on the Wall of Early Morning Light. IIRC, they used fixed ropes with multiple trips up to a certain height and then cast the ropes off to finish in a single push (alpine style).

Tasker and Boardman spent 25 days on Changabang, alone, and far from any help. IIRC, they did make multiple trips up and down the wall.

In general, all of the bullet items listed in my previous post make the climb easier. The absolute best style is unprotected (ie no ropes or protection devices) solo (alone) on-sight (ie never having seen the climb before) first-ascent (going where no one has gone before and thus not knowing anything about the route including whether the route is even climbable). Most people won't live very long if they do this a lot, so on-sight with a partner and protection ropes and gear, first-ascent preferred, is generally considered good style. Leaving the rock unchanged so that the next party can experience the same climb is also desirable.

Note that back in the days before good ropes and effective protection techniques, the leader essentially climbed unprotected. (The rule of thumb was "the leader must not fall and nobody else better either"...)

Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker did an impressive climb of Super Crack only to have others dismiss their accomplishment by pointing out that they had pre-rigged the crack ahead of time. To their credit Tom and Pete returned from the UK and did the entire climb over again.
The second ascent was in better style, but, of course, they had the knowledge and practice from their first ascent of the route.

I just thought it was an interesting parallel. I am not a climber myself, so does anyone have a better sense if pre-fixed is considered "cheating"? I honestly don't know.
Rock climbing in a place like Yosemite is a game. It isn't about getting to the top of most high points because they have easier routes. (For instance, there is a hiking trail from the valley floor to the top of El Capitan.) It is about getting up via a particular route in a particular style. There are a number of styles and their definition (ie ethics) and desirability change over time as skills, gear, and techniques improve. Different styles are also appropriate in different places. These days, as long as you are truthful about what you did and don't damage the rock*, you are usually ok. Of course, if two parties climb the same route and one uses better style than the other, it will be considered a better achievement. Some disagreements over style have gotten pretty nasty...

* Anything that makes a permanent change to the rock alters the climb for later ascensionists and is thus undesirable in heavily used areas like Yosemite. In particular, things like bolts make it easier for later parties. Freeing (ie. climbing without aid+) climbs that previously had only been ascended using aid is a goal of some--but in some cases the freeing party has used the piton scars from previous parties. Thus the piton scars have made climb easier and thus not the same climb experienced by the first-ascent party.
+ Aid is using equipment to support one's weight. Free climbing uses gear only for protection in case of a fall.

BTW, off-width is a particular range of crack widths. Off-widths tend to be difficult to climb.

Doug

Last edited:
IIRC, they used fixed ropes with multiple trips up to a certain height and then cast the ropes off to finish in a single push (alpine style).
My understanding (and I probably haven't been reading any better reporting than anybody else) is that they repeatedly returned to "base camp" below pitch 15 and, once they had freed a pitch, subsequently would aid it to return to higher pitches.

Very much looks like a grueling, siege-tactics, no finesse, bash-at-it way to solve the problem, which honestly earns its own sort of respect, like the guys crossing the line in Kona at 16:59:59 on pure grit. Understand, if you string three pitches of 5.4 together, I could second that, so mad props for what is still a heck of an accomplishment on a lot of 5.insane rock.

IMO, mostly a yawn. Much of the noise is because it was done as a media event..

Yes, they freed (climbed without aid) a very difficult route, but they did it in what many (including myself) consider poor style.
* heavy support from others (bringing up supplies etc)
* Heavily rehearsed--they practiced the hard pitches beforehand
* Pre-fixed gear
* Pre-marked holds (with chalk)
* Media on the wall with them meant that if something happened, they could count on help rather than having to deal with it themselves. Plus the psychological support having others nearby.
A great step backward in some respects... See http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15w/newswire-caldwell-jorgeson-free-dawn-wall

I'm much more impressed with the first ascent of the route by Warren Harding and Dean Caldwell* in 1970. (The face was then known as "the wall of early morning light".) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Harding_(climber) http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/outdoor/great-moments-in-climbing-on-el-capitan-20150107
* No relation to Tommy Caldwell

Another very noteworthy comparison is Joe Taker and Pete Boardman's ascent of the West Wall of Changabang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changabang http://www.amazon.com/Shining-Mountain-Changabangs-West-Wall/dp/0525241868

Doug

Agreed. I wonder if their sponsors pushed for the media coverage.

Agreed. I wonder if their sponsors pushed for the media coverage.

I get the point that this event had a disproportionate amount of coverage, but I'm wondering if the climbing community (of what I am not a member) feels that other events should get more, or that this event should have had less, or some combination of the two.

Well, I'm impressed. I followed it over the last few weeks and livestreamed the finale. Certainly out of my league.

I get the point that this event had a disproportionate amount of coverage, but I'm wondering if the climbing community (of what I am not a member) feels that other events should get more, or that this event should have had less, or some combination of the two.

You can find a large amount of discussion here and in several other threads on Supertopo. There are a couple of threads at Summitpost as well. Although the folks who post at those sites aren't any more representative of the climbing community at large than the folks who post here at VFTT are of Northeast hiking, it is worth noting that the commentary online from the climbing community is overwhelmingly positive, with recognition that this is a truly spectacular accomplishment.

It's also worth noting that neither one of these guys make much money from their sponsors. It's kind of ridiculous to suggest they are doing this for money or publicity. I mean how much money and fame have they gotten in the preceding 5+ years it's taken them to dial their methods to finish the route? How much have they made over their lifetimes as they've risen to the top of their discipline? I personally can't imagine that so little money and such fleeting (widespread) fame could motivate anyone to slog for so long at this particular objective. And absent the struggle midway, the camaraderie displayed by both climbers, and the eventual success, this whole event might just as easily have missed national headlines.

Finally, the Harding/Caldwell first ascent was in such a different style I think comparing the two is a little bit silly. We're talking about the difference between using only one's hands and feet vs. drilling 300+ permanent holes into the rock (yes, that is as awful as it sounds from a LNT perspective) to attach bolts to clip holds to. Climbing has (thankfully) evolved, and this latest accomplishment once again pushes the envelope.

I think it was an impressive climb. Was it done in a "pure style", I would say it was not. That being said, it's a big wall and a tough route, many could not repeat this climb. Ive spent some time in Yosemite, although I was basically retired from rock climbing by then and back to my routes a humble peakbagger. Even when I was a diehard climber, you could not pay me to climb El Cap.

I'm with dug and hikerbrian on this one. I'm impressed as is the former and concur with the comments which IMO are spot on with the latter. These two climbers well stated their goals before, during and after this project and accomplished them. Monday morning quaterbacking this project is futile at best. Not to be little the first ascenionists but this was a way harder climb IMO. As far as the media, they have been around climbing for a long time. Yes there were more of them and they were more visible. As far as extrapolating that they would helped in a rescue effort is mere conjecture. To be reminded the climbers did turn down a rescue from the Park Rangers during a storm.

Nobody is suggesting that the NBC News crews on the valley floor would have been any use in a rescue. The fact is that the climbers had photographers on ropes alongside them, and some number of additional logistical helpers on ropes below them, at just about all times. Those photographers and helpers are all better climbers than me, and would have been useful in a rescue, but the real complaint (such as it is, climbers generally being damn impressed with this feat) is about style. It's not what it used to be, a couple of climbers facing the unknown in isolation. It's something else: climbers who've spent *years* exploring this specific route, literally memorizing key sequences of moves, falling an uncountable number of times, and getting back up and trying again. It's the kind of ethic that would be familiar to modern boulderers. Not necessarily better or worse, but different, from the purest possible ethics laid out by a slightly older generation.

Note that Caldwell and Jorgeson have been very up-front about what they're doing and how they're doing it. This is admirable. They aren't trying to claim any more glory than they deserve. The door is open to anybody who wants to surpass them by doing the climb in a purer style, e.g. "onsight flash" - though at the moment the list of humans who might be capable of that is an extremely short list.

Finally, the Harding/Caldwell first ascent was in such a different style I think comparing the two is a little bit silly. We're talking about the difference between using only one's hands and feet vs. drilling 300+ permanent holes into the rock (yes, that is as awful as it sounds from a LNT perspective) to attach bolts to clip holds to. Climbing has (thankfully) evolved, and this latest accomplishment once again pushes the envelope.
The two climbs should be evaluated by the standards of their time rather than directly against each other or by the standards of a later time. Each represented an advance in some aspect of the state of the art and each used tactics that were controversial (at the time) to some in the climbing community.

FWIW, the media hailed the 1970 Harding-Caldwell ascent as the greatest climb since Everest (1953)...

Other (hopefully) amusing trivia about the Harding-Caldwell ascent:
* The Park Service panicked because they were on the wall for so long and tried to force a rescue on them (without consulting with them...). When contact was established the climbers replied with the immortal words: "A rescue is unwanted, unwarranted, and will not be accepted.".
* Bolting and drilling smaller holes (for rivets and hooks) on these walls was common in this era. However the quantity used on this climb was controversial in the climbing community.
* The recent Caldwell-Jorgenson ascent used some of the rivets placed by Warren Harding on the first ascent.

BTW, the Harding-Caldwell ascent was pre-internet and I wasn't able to find much info with a search engine. There is about a page of info in "Climbing in North America" by Chris Jones, 1976 and presumably there is more in books and magazines of the time.

Doug

Last edited: