Moosilauke via Glencliff & Carriage Road trails 1-15-15s

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Jan 14 2015 (I put the wrong date on the title but cant edit it)

Parking: Trailhead lot was plowed & was being sanded just after I arrived at 7am. Room for maybe a dozen cars, but empty when I arrived

Trail Conditions: Glencliff: Well travelled no deep snow mostly boot traffic. All crossings bridged or easy step – overs. A few iced sections but soft enough to traverse with light traction. No trees across trail all the way to the top. Only a few inches of snow on the side of trail at the bottom and only about a foot near the top.
Mooselauke Carriage Road from Glencliff. Well packed snow board/snow shoe track up to the treeline. It looks like the snowboard tracks continue down the Carriage Rd trail. Above tree line hard wind packed snow and solid but horizontal Ice. Most of the path through the cairns was solid ice between the two rows of stones.

Special Equipment Required: Light traction would work all the way to Carriage Rd but crampons would not be over kill for the the steeper sections. I’d recommend snowshoes on carriage road if only so as to not disrupt the snow board track but light traction would work. Ice above tree line would require some kind of traction.

Comments: Very cold and windy above the tree line. I couldn’t figure out what the tracks on the Carriage Road were at first. Too smooth and a bit narrow for snowshoes. Too wide for skies. Then coming down I saw a snow boarder hiking up toward the summit then turning around 100 yards short of the summit and snowboarding down. The track I saw turned out to be two parallel tracks from separate snow board runs.

Last edited by a moderator: