Let the debate begin! Best view in every state

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say, that list was better than I thought it would be. Been at or near many or those places in my wanderings around the US. One thing to keep in mind when people look at a list like that is that they want to be able to say "hey, I've been there" ... which is why you get the Cog Railway selected over, say, Lincoln and Lafayette and Pikes Peak over Mount Elbert.

Good mix of mountainous terrain and city views.

My complaint with these lists is always they are too vague. Alaska : Mt McKinley. What does that mean ? From the top ? From the bottom ? From a ridge or ravine ? Where ? Denali is a mountain, not a view. Grand Canyon ? It's huge. Same issue. From where ? Looking at what ?

IMHO. With the exceptions of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, the best view of the other states is in your rear view mirror :)

The choices for the New England states were pretty weak, IMO, but I now really want to go to Idaho. Who knew?!

Best view in Maine is from the porch of the Daicey Pond library.

IMG_2055.JPG

In case you haven't seen it.

Tim

Having stared at both, it hardly matters! :D

I have never been to the a mountain where the view didn't matter where you were on the mountain. But nonetheless, it takes little imagination to believe the view would be spectacular all over Denali. Congrats on you climb, must have been a terrific experience ! So here is the big question, seriously, where was you favorite view on that trip ? Inquiring minds want to know ! :) (I have never done an Alaska trip, I am afraid of the only view being the inside of the a cloud when/if I go).

My complaint with these lists is always they are too vague. Alaska : Mt McKinley. What does that mean ? From the top ? From the bottom ? From a ridge or ravine ? Where ? Denali is a mountain, not a view. Grand Canyon ? It's huge. Same issue. From where ? Looking at what ?

I had the exact same reaction though its hard to argue with the view from Lookout Mt for Tennessee. I've got several photos from that very spot. Odd to see Clingmans Dome as the best view in North Carolina since technically that's also in Tennessee. The whole list is really pointless but here we are discussing it.

I have never been to the a mountain where the view didn't matter where you were on the mountain. But nonetheless, it takes little imagination to believe the view would be spectacular all over Denali. Congrats on you climb, must have been a terrific experience ! So here is the big question, seriously, where was you favorite view on that trip ? Inquiring minds want to know ! :) (I have never done an Alaska trip, I am afraid of the only view being the inside of the a cloud when/if I go).
Sorry, I was a little vague. To be clear, I have not climbed Denali, but I did spend several days gazing at it from many angles. And I took tons of pictures. :D We were told that seeing the mountain in the summer is a crap shoot, but we had 2 or 3 days of perfect weather!

Just a sample

I have been in and around the Grand Canyon. The view is constantly changing, due to the rock formations, sun angle, cloud cover, etc. More photos were taken! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, the Bells are up there for sure as CO goes, but there are so many great views it's hard to decide on a "best". I loved Telluride too, and Crested Butte, and ...
Sunrise anywhere is pretty darn good. The tops of 14ers often don't have the best views, really, even in good weather- because most of what you are looking at is sky.