Mt Elbert Winter Ascent 1.19.15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hasn't snowed much for a couple weeks and it has been windy so a lot of it just blew off. At one point just above treeline I stuck my poles in to see how deep and it went up to the handles. In the woods its quite a bit deeper.

I live at about 7500 feet so I'm already fairly acclimated. However when I start getting above 12500 or so I breathe heavier than I did in the east. On high steep slopes nearly everyone seems to have to stop at least occasionally to catch your breath. My first couple hikes after I moved here, after a good 3 weeks living at 7800 feet, my hands and feet became quite swollen. It lasted a good 12 hours after the hike. I don't have any effects from elevation now other than harder breathing. When I climbed Quandary a few weeks ago, I was able to cruise up quite quickly. I was passing groups that were seriously struggling with the elevation, and that's considered an easier 14er.
As for being easy, I'll put it this way.. As far as 14ers go, Elbert is one of the least technical but it's still an effort. This route still covered about 12 miles and climbed nearly 5000 vertical feet. Figure most of the northern Presi hikes gain roughly 4000-4400' vert. and you don't have any elevation effects in the Presi's to complicate it.
I'm sure anybody in good hiking shape can climb it, but you should definitely try to acclimate at least a little before hitting any high summit if you are coming from the east.

Fantastic hike! wwe did it this past August and really enjoyed it. Must have been a blast. Good for you!