Avalanche Brook Ski Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHClimber

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info about this trail in terms of what the best equipment is for it? I assume it requires a back country ski set up as opposed to a fixed binding. Or perhaps XC skis. I have the Goodman book but he doesn't get into specifics re: equipment. Thanks in advance for any advice.

light back country nordic skis

From Pinkham, Avalanche Brook climbs something like 1000 feet to the Glen Boulder trail then descends 2000 feet to the Rocky Branch trail head. In either direction, there's a substantial amount of climbing and you'll want a setup that climbs well. I've skied it a couple times from Pinkham using light back country telemark gear (Kahru XCD GT). These are relatively long, narrow, metal edged skis. It's been several years but I remember some rolling terrain towards the Rocky Branch end. I don't think I'd want to do this section with alpine touring gear or a split board for example. With good conditions you might be able to get away with out metal edges. There are some step sections and tight turns though, beefier XC skis are the way to go here.

I've never skied the trail so I can't say, but some people on this facebook page might be able to answer your questions... It's about everything related to backcountry skiing in the northeast (Alpine Touring, Splitboarding, XC, Tele, ect.) and there are some knowledgable members. Stop in and ask questions or share pics of your trip! The group is called "Backcountry Touring in the Northeast".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/862524310455935/

I agree that light backcountry gear is best. Metal edged touring skis with either NNN-BC or 3-pin tele bindings would work best. Alpine Touring would be overkill, as the descents are quite manageable on lighter gear. From my quiver I'd probably take my Fischer Outtabounds and Garmont eXcursion boots, or maybe my Fischer E99s.