Saving Pack Weight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, maybe this has been discussed before, but what do you do to keep pack weight down?

I'll start.

I bought a very small but (hopefully) usable bivy bag.

I have a very small stove.

I bring a smart phone, for lots of reasons, camera, 911, apps, etc.

I have a small leatherman tool. Metal is heavy!

I cut the corners off my maps! Just kidding! :rolleyes:

I find some of this requires more money to be spent for a smaller product, sort of like lingerie, the smaller it is, usually the more it costs! :eek: :D :confused: ;)

What else do we do?

Carbon fiber poles?

Let's not get into "I don't bring snowshoes" types of posts. You can argue about that in other threads! :D

[Paging John Swanson! :D ]

I'm almost always solo so winter requires additional items for the just in case moments. I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Blizzard-Emer...2711454&sr=8-2&keywords=blizzard+survival+bag) instead of a sleeping bag. Saves a lot of space over a winter sleeping bag and it's light weight. I like my MSR stoves best, but I have moved to JetBoil for the weight and space savings.

Probably the thing I need to work on most, weight of boots!! I like LaSportiva boots, drawback for them is they tend to be HEAVY!! We all know weight on the feet is a lot harder than having weight in your pack.

That's one thing I do have, well insulted Winter boots. I work out with ankle weights to keep my legs in shape for that.

I love winter hikes, especially with some scrambles and a little ice ax action....BUT for whatever reason, I detest a long snow shoe approach. I may be far from the norm on that one (usually am :))

I just happen to have my pack all ready for tomorrow. Snowshoes, microspikes, boots, pack, water - 23 pounds. Not counting what I will wear tomorrow, a few more pounds.

That's about what my pack weighs after the weight savings efforts. It used to be 30 lbs with snowshoes and crampons.

Some of my changes / learnings include:

I changed my puffy jacket for a lighter one. I think this item should weigh no more than 1.5 pounds

I removed a large nylon stuff sack. I'm using cheap plastic bags more these days

I don't bring a 200 wt fleece jacket anymore after using it only 1 time in 2 winter 113 rounds. I'll know if I will need it before leaving the car and will wear it if warranted.

I scaled back and don't bring these things unless conditions warrant them and sometimes they do: pack raincover, face mask, goggles, primaloft pants. I almost never needed the raincover.

I found my go to (shtf) gloves were too heavy because they had gauntlet length and leather palms which were not needed so I switched. That saved close to 1/2 pounds

Some little improvements: I changed from two balaclavas to a wind stopper hat and a ski band. Personal preference.

And I already mentioned the water system.

A while back I changed from a heavy TNF hard shell that would count as worn weight (not included in the weights I mention) but routinely carried on warmer afternoons (read anytime temp was over 20f without wind) I now carry a precip jacket and wear a windshirt.

I agree metal is heavy and I do not carry a stove or multitool but do carry a small knife.

My pack is about 4lbs, a little heavy, but I love it. In hindsight if I spec'ed it again I could save 1/3 pounds. This is one area where comfort is as important as weight.

Btw if you ever weigh a bungi cord you will never use them again. WAY too heavy. Get a pack that has compression straps that fit snowshoes. Any strap is lighter. Or an ultralight trick is to use a shoelace. So lightweight and stays tied well when double knotted. I favor lightweight straps with snap buckles

I still carry a bunch of stuff - more than most. Most of it has been slowly optimized over 30 years. If I thought it wasn't perfect I might change it out with performance and weight in mind. Somethings are essentially the same such as my compass. And other things have changed multiple times such as lighting. I've scaled back the weight here a lot over the years such as my first aid kit.

Tom,

I feel like the biggest lesson I've learned over the past few years is that pack weight should be a function of the conditions expected. The contents of my pack used to never change: Full hard shell pants/jackets, (light) puffy jacket, bomber down jacket, many mittens, gloves, hats, etc... (not to mention wearing a full soft-shell and thermals)

Nowadays I give my equipment list changes day-to-day. Most of the time my hardshell pants are replaced with summer weight rain pants (because I almost never wear them). I have frequently left the light weight puffy layer home on warmer days (especially because I still carry the bomber down jacket). Some days I will replace the soft shell with a lighter weight fleece jacket and a wind shirt (which often replaces the hard shell).

A significant amount of weight has been cut from my pack over the years by upgrading equipment to lighter/newer versions ($$$$$), however; I feel like I probably carry around 3-4 extra pounds of "crap" on a given hike in the following:
* WAY too much food - I never want to run out, but I've been out on hikes where I have had a full zip lock in the pack that I never touched
* Overkill for gloves/mittens/hats (the combination of a bunch of small items adds up fast)
* Water - I have started being more reasonable with my water on winter hikes, and rarely bring more than 2L anymore. I have found that over-hydrating pre-hike, drinking all the way to the trailhead, and then drinking a few swigs before leaving the car can usually get me through the first few hours of hiking (with some small sips of water)

Great insights. As one that overpacked for years, I'm starting to look at everything with a fresh eye. I never get under 45 for multi day, ADK winter trips (usually 55) BUT those days are over! I ditched my older expedition goose down bib and jacket for layers and I swear I will cut 10 lbs of food and clothes OUT. Thanks !