Unknown Pond Peak 2/1/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Headed into the Berlin Fish Hatchery, expecting a challenging day to Unknown Pond peak on a trail not well used nor blazed. Parking lot was not fully plowed out but there was room for 4 cars this day. Surprised to see two cars there and delighted to see 2 out of 3 familiar faces- Jeremy and Bryan along with Amy. Further pleased to see they were heading to Unknown Pond Peak like me. Temperatures were in low single digits. Being a little disorganized, I took off after them, starting about 20 minutes later. It took me an hour to catch up - they were breaking knee deep powder. A few of the stream crossings were thinly bridged and would later break on our descent in spite of the cold temperatures.

We reached the pond area, turned north on the Kilkenny Ridge trail, which we lost shortly afterwards. No problem since the peak was less than half a mile away. There was no canister there but we did find some orange string and a handle attached to the tree. We turned to bushwhack to a "great ledge" a little southwest of the peak, which Jeremy heard about from a "well known source". This was well worth the little bit of effort to find it. The ledge offered magnificent views of the Horn and the Pond and points to the south. It also had a vertigo inducing drop off! Throughout the hike, we were treated to views of the Presidentials, the Percy Peaks, Carter Dome and more. Cold day but great company and great hike in the magical KilKenny woods! Snowshoes essential up in this area.

Last edited:
Becca- hi to you. I doubt it was as cold Sunday as Saturday with those winds. Heard from one of our "trail breakers" that you were out snow shoeing just a week after breaking your leg. True die hard! Hope it is healing fast.

And to Tim- well, you know how popular those canisters are to "collectors". Someone could maybe make a great business manufacturing and selling copy cat canisters, each with its own peak on it. Could be a super fund raising idea for a few organizations. :)